Michelin Wild Race'R 29er Tire

Michelin Wild Race'R 29er Tire

Michelin Wild Race'r 29er MTB Tire. Michelin's race proven XC tire in a 29" wheel size is the weapon of choice for the serious and not-so-serious off road cyclist looking to do some technical work on their favorite singletrack.

[Jul 20, 2014]
personaX

Strength:

Grip, fairly low rolling resistance, size.

Wears down quite fast especially when used as a rear tire, a bit heavy.

This review is for the 2.25" basic version. I've setup them tubeless without issues.

I bought these as a fast, dry conditions summer tire. I was very surprised at the level of grip they provide. On the other hand they're not quite as fast as I was expecting, so there are better racing tires out there but these are excellent all-rounders. They're true to size at least on 23mm internal width rims. The weight is so-so, a bit under 800 grams.

Overall I was very pleased with these and would buy them again, given that they only cost about 25€ ~= 35$

Kenda SB8 2.1" folding, Geax Saguaro 2.2" UST and TNT, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25" EVO SnakeSkin

[Oct 31, 2011]
Holmes

Strength:

Cheap, reasonably light, quality construction.

None so far.

At 30 bucks a pop these are a stupendously good value, I'm not sure that there are any other light(ish) Kevlar bead 29er tires that come close.

These have been perfect setup tubeless on Velocity Blunt rims, zero problems. They've worked well in dry conditions (rocky or loose over hardpack), doubt they would work well in the mud. I would definitely buy another set of these.

WTB Weirwolf, Exiwolf and Nano, Maxxis Ardent, Kenda Slant Six

[Aug 11, 2011]
h2otaco

Strength:

Fast rolling, good cornering, tough sidewalls for a 700g tire, good volume, tread wears well, seat up well, price.

None.

These are great XC tires. Durable, cheap, roll well, handle well, and have a supple enough casting to give a good trail feel.

What more do you want? For $30-35 you'd be crazy not to run them. I don't understand why I don't see them more often.

Specialized Captain, Renegade, Geax AKA, Seguaro, Kenda Blue Groove, WTB Wolverine,Continental Race King.

[Mar 11, 2011]
Scot

Strength:

Light, fast, grippy in dry conditions, deals with sand very well.

For intended purpose, none.

Light, grips well, spins up very fast, snappy on tight turns, no weight penalty here, tacky rubber compound really grips on dry hard pack. I have been using it as a commuter tire on rough roads/trails and on XC intermediate level rocky/sandy/gravely trails in the Tucson area and am very happpy with it. I was surprised at how well it deals with sand and powery dirt, the little knob spines grip well. Will lose traction and spin in deep gravely loose conditions but the Karma L3R does that too, only the nevegal with it's big lugs (and weight penalty)deals with that. The tires seem to be very high quality. I would recommend this to a XC racer, dry trail rider, or as a road tire for Mt.bike that has a bite. I'm training for Durango, CO trip so I have the Nevegal meats on to get used to them but when I'm done these will go back on for my low desert XC and road commuter life. This tire seems to me to have less volume than the Karma L3R Pro so seems less cushy but rolls faster on hard stuff. I like the Karma L3R pro as well, great tire.

Kenda Karma L3R Pro 29, Kenda Nevegal 29

[Jul 12, 2010]
Chris Crash

Strength:

Excellent grip - cornering, climbing and braking, excellent ride quality, casing quality, fast rolling

A bit heavy if running with tubes, not quite as fast as my racing Ralph. A bit vague on pavement but they still have ll the little rubber hairs on em so well see. The ralphs are like road tires and rail on pavement but I prefer dirt so...

This is more of a ride review, I will post again but since I put about 50km on these in varied dry conditions in Whistler I had to post. MUCH grippier than my racing ralphs and almost as fast on dirt. Whistler is very rooty, rocky and technical and I only slipped when I my technique was off unlike with the ralphs which loose traction on loose over hard, rock and roots. Almost as grippy as the Rampage and way faster. Excellent compound, great grip in loose over hard. While the casing size is a bit shy of the 2.25 Ralph the ride quality overall capability is better so far. I'll re post in few months and after some wet weather rides

Nano raptor, rampage, exiwolf, racing ralph, nevegal, Fire XC pros, High rollers, Comp 16's, 24's, Mythos...