Maxxis Ignitor 29er Tire

Light the fuse. The Maxxis Ignitor is a great 29er tire when you're riding in medium to loose conditions. The tread design was made for top-ranked World Cup Cross Country racers and has already graced the top step of the podium. The tread is well-spaced in the middle to let dirt flow in and out between the blocks while the tightly-spaced side knobs allow you to fly through the corners and use the saved speed to explode out of turns. The 70a rubber tread is tough and long lasting. The Maxxis Ignitor is produced only in 29x2.1. The casing has 60 TPI and the bead is foldable. The maximum inflation pressure is 65 PSI. The tread is made from 70a durometer rubber. 705g.

red bank rider   All Mountain Rider [Oct 17, 2016]
Strength:

Light, rolls fast, a good race tire for DRY conditions. It's like using racing slicks in dry conditions.

Doesn't shed wet dirt mud or sand very well. It's like using racing slicks in wet conditions. Sucks if the condition are anything but dry.

This review is for the 29er 2.1 version. I think for the budget XC racer, this is a great choice. It's relatively cheap, is comparatively light for 29er XC tires out there so it's a budget weight weenie pick. And rolling resistance is quite impressive in DRY conditions. (sand, hardpack, dirt, clay). It also performs well over rocks, logs, cornering berms.
Where these tires really fail is if the conditions get wet. Everything sticks to these tires (sand, dirt, clay, mud, ice) and they don't shed any of it well. My best comparison is racing slicks used for motorcycles or racecars on asphalt race tracks...they are awesome in dry conditions , grip well and are very predictable. But if there's any rain, the last thing you'd ever want is to use slicks in the rain cause the grip is gone. Same thing with the ignitors...in the wet, it gets so caked up, any semblance of tread or knob or grip is gone. I think these are are condition specific light, fast XC tires for dry conditions, but not a versatile all-around tire choice.

Riverwolf   Weekend Warrior [Jul 11, 2013]
Strength:

Capable in many conditions

This is a great tire for the terrain I ride (rooty, rocky, loose dirt and gravel) and without any issues so far I can say it's the best I've ridden on. I think there will be better tires for certain conditions like rain or trail type, but this tire is a great all-rounder. Just the right amount of bite in the corners and very good traction for the trails here in Southern Alberta. Stands up pretty well to alot of rough riding.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager, Kenda Nevagal
Scotty17   [May 10, 2012]
Strength:

For an all around tire that is fast rolling...good in wet/damp and dry hard pack...Ignitor is the tire for me! I am not a very smooth rider so I hit stuff...the side walls and overall quality of construction is amazing without the extra weight. No flats with the tubeless set up on my WTB trail 29.

In really muddy conditions I would like more bite. I know there are better tires fore these conditions....but these are not bad I try not to ride when its raining.

I am on my second set and I am going to put a 26' set on my Son's bike. I found a tire that works well in NoCA...so Im sticking with Ignitor.

ssalmons   [May 09, 2012]
Strength:

Great front tire (never used as rear), grips well, brakes well without skidding.

These tires work really well here in my area (st louis). They grip very well and give me confidence when attacking corners. They setup with Stan's sealant quickly without problems, bead seated easily on my Bontrager TLR rims.

Mman   Cross Country Rider [Sep 01, 2011]
Strength:

Trustworthy front tire that is fast and grippy in most conditions. In my experience these tires have been very durable. I ride these at a higher psi and they grip like mad.

They seem a bit low on volume.

No complaints as a front tire; grips and rolls fast, but I am not feeling it in the back. I run it on the front around 35 psi tubeless and found that it would bottom out sub 30psi (170lb rider). Works well for me as a summer tire in dry trail conditions. Reliable and easy to set up with Stans.

Similar Products Used: Nevegal, fast trak LK
secretary7   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2011]
Strength:

None that I can find! The rear hooks up well and bites hard.

Possibly a little loose for a front tire

I've been using these tires on front and rear for over 1yr.. They survived a 24hr. race and a lot of miles on both loose/hardpack high desert soil and Kentucky clay/mud. As a rear tire it's awesome I've never had a problem with loosing traction even on really steep switchbcks. As a front tire, I'm a bit more reserved, it looses traction when I'm really trying to carve a turn. I'll probably take advice from other folks here and maybe switch my front to a Kenda Nevegal (sp?). I will admit that I run my tires harder than most folks riding 29er's so it could be I'm running the front too hard. I'm still giving the tires a full 5 chili's for overall durability. I've been riding them almost weekly for 2-4 hours and they still have the rubber on the knobs from when I first got them. They're tough and I've been beating them! I'm old school though, no tubeless system for me.

Similar Products Used: None for a 29er
barnhorse   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2011]
Strength:

Has good traction. Seems tough enough for rocks, etc.

I am using it tubeless. It is dissolving. The sealant is leaking out the sidewalls around the threads. I make my own sealant, but no one else seems to have this problem with the same recipe.

Not sure what to think. Good tires, I have used them in the past with no problems. I have seen other posts with similar problems with the Ignitors, recently.

Similar Products Used: Had this happen with Nevegals a few years back.
jimbsport   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2010]
Strength:

light weight, grip very well, corner good won't slid away

none yet

i use it as a rear tire with a kenda nevegal 2.2 in front. it grip really good but in front i want a bullet proof tire that will not slip, for a rear tire it can slip sometime but not much, lighter weight then the nevegal

Similar Products Used: kenda nevegal 2.1 on a 26"
john   Cross Country Rider [Jun 16, 2010]
Strength:

Hooks up great ,considering width and being a 250 lb rider. Fast rolling too.

None as of yet for me.

Hot set up for me is a nevigal on the front and ignitor for the back on both my bikes. Weighing 250 i feel i push the traction limits for both of these tires but have no complaints . I left off 1 chilli because only useing them for a short time period but im sure they will stand the test of time and earn the last chilli.