Maxxis Aspen 29er Tire

Maxxis Aspen 29er Tire

Maxxis Aspen 29 x 2.10 Tire. Maxxis has done it again with its latest XC race tire. The new Maxxis Aspen pushes the limits of a lightweight XC tire designed to have minimal rolling resistance. The Aspen is designed with a high-volume casing to smooth ou

willevans

Strength:

Rolling resistance is notably less than other tires. Grips well on damp to dry conditions. Felt like it was worth gearing up one gear just about everywhere. Tread wears like iron.

Is sandy and dusty conditions this tire slides out a lot. Very weak sidewalls. 4th race of the season, and 4th race on the tire I blew out the sidewalls in a fairly mild rock garden. Stan's couldn't seal the gash and the tire wouldn't stay on the rim even with a tube installed. I had to withdraw from the race, on my home course.

Fast tire in the right conditions, but the low weight comes from a lack of material and durability, not any special construction method.

IRC Serac, Maxxis Ignitor and Crossmark Exception Series, Conti SuperSonic Mountain Kings.

presa

Strength:

(this is for the 2.1 Exception 120 tpi)
I'd like to echo what Zacharia has said below. Excellent rear tire in all conditions. Truly amazing wear too. After 6 months of riding 4x week,, there are still nice edges on the tread.

Sidewalls are a bit thin, I've never punctured one, but when installing non UST tire tubeless, the sides leaked air a bit,, just had to leave wheel on its sides for a while and let sealant do its magic.....
I also found that the tire had a bit of lateral roll at lower pressures(thin sidewall),, I put about 30 psi and it is not an issue anymore.

My go to tire for rear, wouldn't try it up front for my local conditions, currently have a Rocket Ron up front.
I love it and highly recommend it!

Maxxis Ikon,Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph, Nobby Nic, Continental twister, Racing kings, WTB Racing Raptor and many many more.

CactusJackSlade

Strength:

Lightweight, rolls FAST, runs tubeless well (Stan's rims), hooks up well in the corners.

Thin sidewalls (but that is to be expected), Pricey unless you find a deal.

Maxxis is now one of my favorite brands, they seal very well on Stan's tubeless rims.

The Aspen's hook up amazingly well... I have to admit I was skeptical!... geeze you can just crank these things in the turns.

These are a race tire, but I run them every day!

WTB: Nanoraptors,Exiwolfs - Maxxis Ignitors

bart

Strength:

Fast rolling tires. Good on hard pack. Fair on the road.

Very weak cornering capabilities. Weak in watery mud also on the straights.

These tires came on my gt zaskar 100r 29er fully i dont like them. Thats mainly because they break your cornering confidence. They have very weak in the corners and are unpredictable. This even becomes worse when riding in watery mud. Even the backside broke out in mud i never had that before with 10+ yrs experience. Would not buy them.

Schwalbe racing ralph

[Nov 30, 2013]
TallChris

Strength:

Low rolling resistance, low weight (530 and 545 grams) and great traction.

None so far.

This review is for the Exception version. I was looking for a great all-around tire that I could race with and that would handle the local hard/loose-over-hard pack terrain. Coming from a heavy pair of Nevegals that came with the bike, I think anything would have been an improvement. That said, the tire was extremely smooth-rolling, gripped when I needed it to and didn't lose traction on seated or standing climbs. Would recommend to anyone in similar terrain. This has been the single most effective upgrade for my ride.

Kenda Nevegals. I'm sure they're good as an all-mountain tire but they're more than I need.

[Sep 11, 2013]
stubs

Strength:

Lightweight, grippy in a surprising range of conditions and rolls really fast.

Definitely not a mud tyre you need something toothier for winter

These came on my 29er and at first I thought they would be rubbish as they didnt seem to have any tread. They grip on hardpack, trail centre kitty litter and loamy singletrack. On the road they are quiet without that annoying buzzing noise most MTB rubber grinds out. They are definitely going to be a summer tyre though.

none 1st ever 29er

[Apr 10, 2013]
criscobike

Strength:

Light and fast rolling. Good traction but good for the tradeoff for racing. Price.

Sidewalls are thin as a tradeoff for the lightness

Was recommended these by my shop owner when my Specialized Fast Tracks blew and I needed something quick for low cost. I assumed I would get something really lame and cheap but he had a pair of Aspens sitting around. In his own words, "These used to be so popular I couldn't keep them on my shelf. They have fallen out of favor, but they are a darn good tire." I went with them and loved them. I finally did tear a sidewall in a race, but it was in the middle of a rock garden that felled many other racers that day. I am getting new ones put on right now. Love these tires!

[Mar 23, 2013]
Dan

Strength:

120tpi exception version: Low rolling resistance, low weight, low cost, good cornering in dry conditions, accurate sizing, fast!

Volume is a little small, not really an issue on 29er, pressure sensitive (what tires aren't), durability (intended as a race tire) These are not mud tires! Don't air up as easily on stans rims as TLR tires

I run these tubeless on black flag pro (stans rim design) front and rear on a 29 hardtail for xc racing, mainly on groomed bike park trails. Dirt is usually a mix of dry hardpack, sandy loose over hard, gravel over hard, with a few mud holes and deep loose sections thrown in. Aspen handles all these conditions well, but excels at hard and shallow loose over hard (the tread pattern speaks for itself). Sidewalls are race only in 120tpi, with similar durability to the 500g racing Ralph evo pacestar. I haven't cut a sidewall yet in four years of running lightweight race tires, but I use 60tpi or tires with sidewall protection for trails.
Most noticeable thing is the aspen gives you great feedback when you're pushing the traction limit, with great controlled two-wheel slides made easy. This contrasts with the racing Ralph evo pacestar 2.1 that I have been using on the front for a while, and the specialized fast trak 2.0 control on the rear, which grip to a point then let go. Aspen deals with hard pack better than the RaRa too, but the the RaRa handles wet dirt better.
Overall, this is a great race tire that should perform well if you ride 'light' on the bike - if you sit and spin through rocks or smash through rocky trails on a dually then you may cut sidewalls and be disappointed.
Weight 530g 29er 120tpi EXC, 580g 29er 60tpi (matches maxxis claimed weights)
Width at 60psi (pre-tubeless stretch!) Casing 52mm, sidelugs 55mm
Width at 25 psi on 19mm internal rims: casing 51.5 mm sidelugs 54mm

Racing Ralph 29 2.1 evo pacestar, Renegade 1.95 29 control, Fast Trak 2.0 29 control, Geax barro race 2.0 29

[Oct 10, 2012]
Learux

Strength:

Strengths: Great tire, using it as a rear tire and it does eveything great, good grip climbing, cornering no issues. Does not wash out in sand too much

Remember it is a fast rolling low profile tire and I am reviewing it as such.

Braking, cornering action good. Sometimes tend to start skidding a bit under fast braking. (kinda riding the dirt) still contralable and easy to correct.

I now have 600 miles on these tires and there is slight wear dtectable. This is a lot of climbing and descending on socal fire roads. I think they are good for at least another 600 miles.

None really

Came standard on my bike as a rear tire, will purchase again after it wears out.

Can't comment on wet perfomance, have not seen any rain in socal in the last 4 month.

[Mar 08, 2012]
BruceBrown

Strength:

Super fast and light XC race tire. The tire is very capable as a front and rear for XC racing - at least here in the Midwest. I ran my pair tubeless on wider rims (28mm external rim width) to widen the tire's profile for singletrack racing in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska.

Tread wore pretty quickly, but not any faster than other low tread, light weight 29"er XC tires I've ridden. These tires are for dry hardpack racing, pine needles, etc... . Not for wet conditions, but tacky is fine.

Super fast and light XC race tire. Thanks to the wider tire profile I had using a wider rim, these tires really surprised me in terms of how well they gripped, cornered, climbed and were very predictable. Would I buy a pair again? Yes.

Raven 2.2, Crow 2.0, Racing Ralph 2.25, Maxxlite 2.0, Karma 1.9