Geax Sturdy 29er Tire

Sturdy

As twenty-niners are slowly, but surely, being accepted by freeride/enduro fanboys, Geax continues to lead the fatty movement with category-stretching rubber like the Geax Sturdy 29in Tire. Large, well-spaced, square knobs and a soft compound offer excellent mud-shedding and tenacious traction when you're monster-trucking trough highly technical, slick terrain.

Ericmopar   Weekend Warrior [Oct 17, 2010]
Strength:

They are relatively cheap.

Slow rolling.
Lack of braking traction on front, in desert conditions.
Dig in bad when crossing washes.
Knobs are already shedding off the casing, even though they are only about a month old.

This review is for the Folding Sturdy, 2.25, 3D compound.

These are some of the worst tires for my riding conditions I've ever used.
They are quite literally coming apart in less than a month of riding.
I'm not using any sealants.
I'm not skidding on them.
I've just been riding some rocky terrain in the desert.

I've had tires wear early, but I've never had them actually lose knobs off the casing before.
These also have remarkably bad braking, when mounted on the front.
They also skip off scrabble, even at really low pressures, 25lb Front, 33lb Rear.
I'm also stumped by the lack of overall traction, from such a large square knobbed tire.
The only place they shined, was on smooth hard rock. They stuck like they were glued to sections like that.

For desert riding, I'm only giving 3 and 2 Chilis.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis; Advantage, Ardent, Minion DHF, Highrollers.
Kenda; Kinectics.
Continental; Survival Pro, Diesel.
HHMTB   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2009]
Strength:

Durability, excellent traction, large air volume, accurate sizing, and long wearing.

Most shops don't stock them so few people know how good they are leading me to be afraid that Geax might stop making them.

I love these tires. I only use them on the rear so I don't know how they are as a steering tire, but they are top notch for the back. They last about a year and a half before they start losing braking power, and this is with riding 3-4 times a week year around (maybe 2500 miles) over all kinds of trails.

What else? Smooth transition in turns. They climb over anything. The huge air volume lets me run 30 psi without pinch flats, even when blitzing through rock gardens or doing bigger drops (I'm 185lbs with gear). The lower pressure gives better comfort and bite. One of them took a big nail in the middle of the tread and after changing the tube was still fine for hundreds more miles. Knobs don't tear off like Maxxis or wear in 10 rides like Kenda. Sidewalls don't rip like IRC. They are true to advertised size unlike Panaracer, Maxxis, IRC, and Kenda. They're fairly light for the size/durability.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis (High Roller, Mobster, Holy Roller), Kenda (Kinetics 2.6), Panaracer (Smoke, Dart, Fire XC, Fire FR), Hutchinson (Python), IRC (Piranha, Mythos, Kujo), Specialized (Chunder, Ground Control, More Extreme, Umma Gumma), Geax (Sedona), and WTB (Weirwolf 2.5, Motoraptor 2.4, Mutanoraptor 2.4) and probably more that I'm forgetting.
chuck7   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2003]
Strength:

Toughness, ride quality, traction, handling. Tire has an overall quality feel I've never experienced w/ other tires.

A little hard to get the big 2.25 mounted w/o wobbles, but see tip in review above.

I stumbled across the Sturdy 2.25 by accident last summer. It barely fit, it is really big, but I kept riding it cuz the ride was so good and it made such a good back tire. The thing stuck well when going up or down the meanest, sharpest, rockiest southern Arizona stuff I could find. I was able to keep it very mushy and never pinch flatted, and I weigh about 225. The ride was great on fast trails, smooth or rough.

Great back tire for a hardtail.

The 2.25 is really too big for my frame, so upon the 2.25's demise after 11 months (I guess 2200 miles) I got the 2.10, and ended up putting it on the front, and lo and behold the 2.10 is the best front I've had, w/ the same qualities of traction, toughness and handling, giving the bike an instantly recognizable boost in confidence, over rock gardens, steep rocky hills and smooth trails.

Similar Products Used: Continental traction & survival, Tioga psycho, various Specialized, WTB velociraptor, Bontrager jones & AT.
SkAb   [Jun 13, 2003]
Strength:

bullitproof, versitile, with a big footprint and predictable cornering

a little heavy for you wimps

I have tried many tires, and i finally found one i cant chew up in a few weeks. i purchased this tire at the begining of a three week long cross country bike trip. with it, i rode some of the most notorious trails from sedona to durango to moab to fruita to jackson. it not only survived, but performed well in the diverse terrains. The tire is a little heavy compared to most xc tires, but it is still lighter than anything in the raptor series.

I found that tire pressure is key with this tire. Inflate the tire firm, and you have a bullitproof dh tire that wont pinch flat or wear easily. Let a little air out, and you have an exelent xc tire that will stick. i climbed some near vertical slickrock, and some staircases. it also can corner on a dime. if you let the tire get really soft, you can climb sand dunes. finally a tire that can handle slickrock and sand. I even got a chance to try it in the snow, and it didnt let me down. I recomend this tire for anyone who rides diverse terrains and doesnt have time to change tires every time they hit a soft spot. i offically declare this tire worthy of SkAb.

Similar Products Used: warp, michilin wildgripper, irc backcountry, mythos.
bikerx40   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2007]
Strength:

Durable and long lasting. Rolls alright for such a large profile tire. Withstands really sharp rocks. Braking is good due to squarish profile and center tread. Holds air very well and inflates with a hand pump (ust version).

Heavy (UST), edge grip breaks away unpredictably on hardpack to loose over hardpack.

This is for the UST version:

Long lasting, durable tire that rolls pretty well, but breaks away unpredictably on hardpack or loose over hardpack. Better as a rear tire than a front tire, but hard compound slips on logs, wood bridges, etc. On the positive side, this tire has lasted nearly a year and is still usable as a backup tire. The tire holds air really well and mounts up without the typical UST tire fuss.

Overall, the performance of this tire in our desert-like climate brings my rating down to 2 turds.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegal, Specialized Resolution, Geax Sedona 2.25, WTB Mutanoraptor, WTB Motoraptor, Maxxis DHF, Maxxis High Roller
phaed   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2007]
Strength:

conditions here are so changable that its hard to say any tire can do it all, but this is close. in dry weather, this tire does it all - corners in packed, gravel or loose, grips on almost anything - roots, rocks, name it. in wet weather, the nobs are big enough to hold in mud that stalls everything else. they'll hold on wet roots and slick ups, but wet slimy rocks are still beyond anything i've tried. its pretty fat, so it gives the ti hardtail some hookup and little de - bump. i don't do big hits but i've never had a pinch flat - even weighing 185. the roll is not bad on hard pack dirt roads. haven't done much pavement - that's what the road bike is for.

heavy and fat, not cheap, hard to find locally, which i can't figure out, cause they work

4.5 flamers - get some

Similar Products Used: panaracer smoke and dart, velociraptors for front and rear, and lots of lesser cr_p.
Tee Asava   Weekend Warrior [Dec 28, 2006]
Strength:

agressive look for tough bike, strong side wall and good sticky on dry condition hard to flat

look may not suit to all, side knob could shed mud better than this. more color on the side wall will sizzle the look

i switch to this instead of the light weight maxxis tyre. they are a lot harder to flat. i think it has to do with bigger knob and stronger tyre casing. if you can forget about the weight it is a very nice tire. mine weigh about 760 grams on 2.25 compare to maxxis 490 grams 2.0

Similar Products Used: maxxis flyweight
Paul Yamakawa   [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

What? A rubber priss shop employee like myself has kept a pair of $35 kevlar tires on his bike for over half a year?

Really quite hard to fault. Looking at them you'd think they wouldn't grab so well when leaned over, but I've yet to experience this on the trail.

For starters, I live in a arid area, and it's mostly loose and loamy conditions. I run the 2.25 up front and 2.1 in the rear. Actual measurement wise they're about equal to my friends' Motoraptor 2.4 front, and a bit bigger than the moto 2.1 rear (closer to a velociraptor 2.1, but not as clunky or prone to peeling nobs). Quite frankly I'm stuck, can't find a reason to get rid of these tires, and that's saying alot. For one they're rediculously durable. It's hard to tell that they're not just broken in at 6months and a couplefew hunderd miles. The deep, but well supported tread is incredible for trials grip it hangs on the the edge of stairs like my cat clawing at the drapes. Also equates to awesome climbing traction. Upfront, that fabulously large 2.25 just plain stick Without complaint. I more or less don't notice it, so it has to be good eh? Usually I manage to find something I don't exactly like about a tire, at least enough to justify selling mildly used tread to a friend and checking out something new, and I honestly can't with these. Props to Geax for figuring out what WTB did long ago, that fat tires aren't just for DH, They're what mountainbikes are all about. And to do so affordably. Incredible value. 5 big firey poops for these bad chickens.

Similar Products Used: Motoraptors, velociraptors, Maxis mobsters (also sweet) Specialized whatever you can think of, Syncros, IRC mythos/ backcountry, Ritchey Zmax, Usually I change tired everyother month...
Davin   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2007]
Strength:

Solid tire, runs forever before tread wears down!! Sidewalls wore out before the tread!

Tight turns are bad!! you will slide out if you don't drop your PSI to stick to rocks

Good tires, I use them on and off road (I know you shouldn't but I ride everywhere...), I have slid out on concrete and asphalt, loose gravel on the mountain but I think these things are more because of my abilities than the tires, when going straight down and fast-awesome tires! I have even been using them for dirt jumping and they hold a line pretty well! They have a nice hum on the street when you pass road bikers too. Yes, you read that right. I ride the 2.25's, with spin skins and downhill tubes (steel standard valves) and couldn;t ask for a better tire to ride fast on! Very pleased, very cushiony with PSI lowered too!