Geax Saguaro 29er Tire

Saguaro, the new tire from Geax is perfect for varied terrain. Low rolling resistance thanks to the central uninterrupted knobs that enhance speed on compact ground.

Michael Terrell   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2014]
Strength:

mounting options, tread pattern, tread life, durability

on the heavy side, not the fastest

bought my first & current set 15 months ago. I have several long distance (60 + mile or longer) mtn bike races on them. Used them at Leadville, perfect for that course. And I have about 6 gravel grinders on them. I have even trained on the road with them when my road bike was not available. I knew nothing about Geax and was very hesitant to buy them. I needed a pair of tubeless 29ers for the Ouachita Challenge the upcoming weekend. My non-tubeless race kings would not work because of the screaming downhills sections on the rocks. Pinch flat city. My LBS only had these available so I bought them thinking I would throw them away after my race. I still have the same pair on. I have ran them tubeless the entire time. I even ride these in central texas where the cactus and thorns are prevalent. No flats, never. These are probably the best all around mtn bike tire I have used. Again, I have trained and raced them for over a year and never had a flat. I deflate them for the single track and I pump them up for the gravel grinders. Great tire and I will be buying the exact tire as replacement.

Similar Products Used: Continental Race Kings, Kenda 8's, Maxxis
Forster   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2013]
Strength:

Dirt Cheap @ $27

Weighty

There are so many versions of this tire, reviewing one without further deliniation is like reviewing Dr. Jekyls performance when you've only met Mr. Hyde. I recently installed the (presumably) cheapest version of this tire (2.2 Rigid) with the hardest compound that I purchased online for $27 each with free shipping. These tires mounted to Velocity Blunt Rims and inflated to 40 psi measure 2.120". Now, keep in mind that I've only ridden these a few times, but my initial impressions are pretty good for a budget tire. The dry surface traction seems very good, the ability of the tire to soak-up bumps and rocks (inflated to Geax reccomendations using their tire pressure App) seems really good and they don't seem much slower than the narrow Bontrager XR-1s they replaced (my 12.5 mile ride this morning was within two minutes of my normal time and that varies by a couple minutes each ride depending on traffic and weather). The ride is noticably different as they seem to generate more gyro effect at speed and I seem to notice the bike's hesitance to lean and turn as quickly as before (these are also the heavest version of this tire and I'm running tubes). We'll see how things change when the nubs wear off and the miles accumulate.

mtbdl   [Nov 03, 2012]
Strength:

price, great grip, light weight, fast, low rolling resistance, easy tubeless setup. I'll be buying a new set next season.

I had my doubts with the low profile tread but these things rock! It took a while to find just the right air pressure (30# for my 200#) but once I dialed them in, I have no complaints. Great grip while climbing over roots and rocks. High speed descents are very predictable and smooth.

milletman   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2012]
Strength:

HOLY GRIPTION!! Rubber compound, grip, low rolling resistance, grip....easy tubeless setup (regular folding bead version) on Stan's or standard rim with Stan's conversion (I've done both with this tire), raceable weight, grip....did I mention grip!

None yet....could be lighter (but then might not be as durable.......)

Love this tire, love it, love it. I've ridden wire bead and folding bead versions, logged thousands of miles on these. I ride a ton of pavement and trails, these roll FAST on both and LAST on both. The rubber compound is soft, yet lasts....must be the tread design. I weigh 190-200, and this tire inspires total confidence as a front tire, and is a great rear as well. It grips evenly and feels the same at all lean angles (set up tubeless @ 26psi for me). Fantastic on hardpack thru medium/loose dry soils, does well in sandy stuff, good on rocky fire roads. Works well on front with matching rear or an AKA in the rear......try it, you'll like it. Shames the other tires I've ridden, really, Vittoria/Geax/Italia is where it's at!

Similar Products Used: AKA, Conti Xking, WTBWolverine, WTB NanoRaptor, Mutano Raptor, SB8.....