CST Ouster 29er Tire

CST Ouster 29er Tire

The Ouster is an excellent choice for tackling technical terrain. The tall, open center tread keeps the mud on the ground and off your tires, and grips roots and rocks while climbing. The aggressive side knobs give you the confidence to rail away.

[Apr 03, 2014]
DianeWong

Strength:

The CST Ouster 29 is being run tubeless using the Stan's system. It inflated and held air perfectly. At 725grams, it's a bit
heavier than the Maxxis Ikon that it replaced as a rear tire. Traction seems fine in dry conditions.
-Very affordable, around $17 ( I won mine at a trailwork event!)

-Seems to pedal heavy compared to my other more expensive tires ( well DUH!)

The CST Ouster is a pretty decent tire for the price. I'm going to keep riding it to see how it wears.

Maxxis Ikon, Ardent,
Kenda Karma, Small Block8,
Schwalbe Racing Ralph

[Mar 05, 2014]
bbqdad
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Price
Initial Traction
Initial Cornering

Wore out quickly
Did not "Shed Mud" as advertised

Let me begin with saying I love CST tires. I think they are a great value, with a nice variety. With their low price, I feel that I can experiment with different models without breaking the bank.

That said, I was not in love with the Ouster. It was billed as a great mud tire. For me it wasn't

Full Disclosure - Our mud here in San Diego is more like STICKY THICK CLAY than loose mud. So, I'm not sure if any tire would be able to "shed" our mud. After one ride, the Ouster was totally caked with mud (as was every tire on every other bike in my group)

My biggest complaint is the wear. This tire wore down to nubs very quickly. I ride a lot of miles on rocky dry terrain. This tire wore out quicker than I like (maybe 400 miles)

I would say, if you are on softer, dry terrain this would be a great tire. If you are on dry rocky trails - maybe try a different CST tire ( I just purchased another Caballero)

As far a mud goes… maybe your mud is loose watery mud. Sadly I don't think any tire can handle San Diego mud :)

CST Caballero
Nobby Nic

[Jul 16, 2013]
Jdirt

Strength:

rails corners
off camber grip
weight for a tire this size is good
price
tracks well over/in rutts
good volume
loose conditions
works well with stans

drags a bit on the rear

really liking it and am consistently surprised with the grip this tire offers on the front of my rigid Superfly SS.