Continental X-King ProTection 29er Tire

Continental X-King ProTection 29er Tire

Super fast, but nevertheless with a good grip, the X-King was developed with the Topeak Ergon mountain bike professional team. Despite pronounced studs, the X-King rolls off smoothly and very quietly. No matter if you are on your own or in a team, with Race and Mountain King, the super-light X-King easily covers many uses, ranging from cross country/race to Alpcross. The X-King simply leaves its competitors behind. Its Black Chili Compound offers a solid grip and is self-cleaning. The shoulder lugs provide absolute stability in curves negotiated at high speeds. With new RS and ProTection carcass versions, puncture resistance is better than ever.

[Apr 10, 2015]
Lee

Strength:

Look great, easy to mount, quiet, fast predictable.

INCONSISTANT QUALITY CONTROL.

Continental must have a fetish for clown tires. A few years back I bought a pair of Continental Traffic wire bead tires from my LBS, the ones made in India. They were nearly impossible to mount on my Rhyno Lite rims and once mounted THEY LOOKED LIKE CLOWN TIRES when rolling. After several exchanges of these tires I could not find one that was not warped.

Well fast forward to now. I bought a set of X-King ProTection 29er 2.2 tires. The expensive (to me) ones hand made in Germany. I thought to myself "Handmade in Germany!!! these ought to be nice and round!!!" I get home and proceed to mount the tires...they mounted effortlessly. I inflated the tires to the max recommended pressure (65psi) to ensure the beads seated then reduced the pressure to 50 psi. I then spun the wheel front wheel to be sure it was seated and what did I see? A freaking CLOWN TIRE. I was NOT pleased. I deflated the tire and swapped it around to the rear wheel...did the inflation routine, spun the wheel and...CLOWN TIRE. S#1T. I brought BOTH tires back to the LBS and exchanged them for another pair. Got them home, mounted them, did the inflation routine and voila they where round HALLELUIA!!!.
I noticed inside the tire was a small sticker with a number on it. I assume its either a quality control inspectors number or the number of the technician who hand made the tire. Inspector/Tech #39...LAY OFF THE BEER during working hours. It's affecting your vision, Inspector/Tech #50...GOOD JOB!

Sorry about the rant....As far as the tires go, I like them. They are fast, quiet, predictable, sticky, and really good for the type of riding I do. Primarily I ride dry hardpack XC/Trails with some commuting during the week.

WTB Wolverine, Hutchinson Python AirLight, Michelin Wild Rac'r

[May 25, 2014]
nicolasswid

Strength:

Grip
Price OK
No leaks

Narrow
Weight

I bought a 2.4 x king protection because my Racing Ralphs were lacking grip on loose and rocky terrain and were a little too fragile. X-king performs better in term of grip. The sidewall are thick and seems really tough (hard to confirm it's a short term review). GOing tubeless on my Frequency i19 was a little complicated (with compressor), but finally it popped in place and loose very few air, without sealant (2 psi per day). It's too heavy, especially considering that the 2.4 tire is a little thinner than a Schwalbe 2.25 (55mm for the Schwalbe, 54.7 for the COnti), that's a trick from Continental to announce low weight...
So I guess comapring the 2.4 continental with a 2.25 Nobby Nic, the Nobby Nic is way lighter, and could have the same grip.
Still it's a good tire and not so expensive in Europe

[Apr 05, 2014]
Ihatton929

Strength:

Performed well and had good traction for the first little while.

Leaks air badly, all the Protection ones do.
One day of runs at Snow Summit was enough to wreck the tread.

I won't be buying these again. I had heard all about the black chili compound and wanted to test it out. While definitely different, Im not ready to declared it a good kind of different. For the price there are definitely better options out there.
Really bummed about the tread getting wrecked so quickly because despite the leaking, it did perform well when it was new.

Continental Mountain King, Forte Pisgah and Tsali, Bonty 29-4, Fire XCs.

[Nov 04, 2012]
Lowfreq13

Strength:

These tires off a real nice pattern and a very smooth ride. They were great through the warm and dry summer months... They seated themselves into place easily on my Flow rims with a floor pump..

Well, now that things are getting a little moist (wet leaves, roots and the like), these guys just don't seem to hold as well. They are starting to slip out on me when wet. It's not that bad. Maybe they are just a really nice summer tire?

Ive put about 400 miles on these and I really do like them. They took a little extra time to fill with sealant. The sidewalls leaked pretty badly for the first week or two. I usually have to put 3-5 lbs in them every week or so. Initially it 10-12 lbs a week. There are ,y first tubeless tires and I am very impressed. I am never going back to tubes.

[Jul 30, 2012]
Teigansdad

Strength:

Corner nice. Fast. Light.

When run tubeless. They set up easy, but check tire pressure before you ride cause they will lose a lot of air overnight for a while.

Great tire. Worth the frustration of waiting for them to hold air. They eventually do.