Bontrager XDX TLR UST 29er Tire

Bontrager XDX TLR UST 29er Tire

• Versatile tread design
  • Tubeless Ready - optimized for use with Super Juice
  • Dual Compound for low rolling resistance
  • Aramid bead for low weight
  • 53/51 size has Abrasion Resistant Casing (ARC)

[Jun 07, 2011]
spkell

Strength:

roll fast, midweight, rear tire

cut loose during moderate braking (F/R) and in turns (F/R)

I've found it to be a pretty good rear tire at low pressures. Up front, I hate it. In dust-over-crust, scree, and hardpack, it oversteers or washes. If you touch the brakes at all in turns, it's hard to keep on the trail. I don't mind a little drift, but this is too much. I raced other low-knob racy tires for two seasons, and this tire is just substandard as a front tire.
as a rear, i'd give it 4 chilis, as a front, 2.

for low-knob tires, Maxxis Monorail 26

[Oct 10, 2010]
Tonuck

Strength:

Good grip, low rolling resistance, easy to use tubeless

Haven't found any yet, but I'll see if they last.

I was pleasantly surprised after a few rides on my new bike to realize that I wasn't going to have to bother replacing the stock tires. As all around tires, the XDXes just worked without having to change my riding and inspired confidence on the trail. They also don't have that much rolling resistance, which is good. I've only washed out once on these (going too fast over a real tight gravel turn) but that was completely my fault and would have probably happened on any tire.

They aren't the best in mud or sand, but they're far from the worst and are billed as all rounders begin with.

I more recently went tubeless with these and ran a lower psi. What a difference! On a hardpack trail with rocks, roots and a little loose stuff on top, these just gripped and never let go! I don't know why these tires have such a bad rep on here, but I'm super satisfied with these tires and will keep using them until they wear out, and then probably get new ones. Schweet!

Bontrager Mud X 29, Panaracer FireXCs 26, Vredestein Black panthers 26, Bontrager Jones XR 26

[Sep 06, 2010]
supercal20077

Strength:

Good rolling resistance, good grip in loose trail, holding up well

weight. price

These tires came stock and I am 100% satisfied with them! I have not had any cornering issues and have not washed out or had any problems climbing in loose trail. I just adjust the air pressure as needed, 24-28 psi!

Cont twistersupersonic, mountain king,speed king, kenda nevegal, few diff Bontragers.

[Jan 19, 2010]
Brian

Strength:

Rolls fast, corners great, good ari volume for 2.1

cut easily, wore out cuickly, not so great traction as rear tire - especially on sand over hardpack

okay fast rolling front tire
skip it as a rear tire.

WTB, specialized, michilin, geax, IRC, Maxxis, etc

[Oct 03, 2009]
jamesarr

Strength:

Rolls well on the road on the way to the trail head. No flats yet.

Clogs very quickly in wet, muddy conditions and remains slick thereafter. Refuses to shed mud, slop appears to ionic bond to tire surface. No "side grip", slips off roots if not perfectly perpendicular to tread.

I'll be wanting a new set of tires for Christmas, or as soon as I can say these are worn out. We've been having a wet fall, and the trails are tacky at best. Even when trails were completely dry, these tires still seem only fair-to -middling, with a penchant for rear tire slip as soon as you get out of the saddle for short uphill bursts.

Tioga Psycho-K/S on my fully stock '95 Trek 950.

[Sep 24, 2009]
grtbuster13

Strength:

low rolling resistance

no grip in corners no matter what the surface.

I've had 3 different people ride these tires besides myself and none of us could get these wheels to stick in the corners no matter the surface. If there's anything loose on top of the surface these tires get down right scary.

nanoraptors, little alberts

[Sep 12, 2009]
Steel29er

Strength:

Fast, durable, long life (lasted close to a year), Tubeless Ready, thick side walls.

None performance related, love it. Maybe a touch on the heavier side

Awesome Rear tire, not great for the front. Very durable, loved this tire, highly recommend.

Racing Ralph, Ardent, Rampage, Bontrager EXP

[Aug 28, 2009]
ctbarron

Strength:

Good wear, not bad in dry, straight conditions

Wet ground, any corner

Tires came stock, so I used them until the tread wore down. They are mediocre - I would not buy a set as a replacement. They roll ok and work well on hardpack or on trails that are only a little tacky. The cornering is weak in almost any condition other than a nice dry berm.

They are poor on loose ground as well. I would definitely not use them as a back tire. Running them in any kind a wet/muddy condition is scary - it is like putting the bike on ice skates.

Note I only ran them with a tube. Their performance was oddly the same at both lower PSI and higher PSI. At best a good rolling tire for straight, dry conditions. Also pricy.

Maxxis Ardent, WTB Prowler