Bontrager Jones ACX 29-inch 29er Tire

Bontrager Jones ACX 29-inch 29er Tire

Very fast-rolling tire with above average hookup in technical situations. Tall, widely-spaced knobs make this the best mud tire for 29'ers, yet it also works well in hardpack.

• Kevlar® bead
  • 2.2 width (looks like a 2.1 when inflated)
  • 120 TPI
  • Black with black sidewalls
  • Front or rear use
  • Do not use as tubeless

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 04, 2010]
    dmh

Strength:

light weight even with tube. great rolling even on paved, noisy on hard pack. great in mud.

pressure sensitive, you have to set it perfect or you have wrinkled sidewalls.

I like to change my factory tires on everything I get. I didn't even consider it for the bike and how i ride it. I always ride semi slicks so for this tire to satisy my ride is a hard deal for a mud tire. I worry about finding replacements

no other 29ers

[Aug 22, 2010]
    Bigjake29er

Strength:

Great traction and light weight.

Very prone to punctures

I'm glad I purchased these tires on clearance! 3 weeks and 100 miles of riding I had to replace these tires due to the sidewalls wearing through. If you ride a lot of rocky terrain like we have here in Pennsylvania these tire are not for you!

WTB Exiwolf

[Nov 28, 2009]
    j porter

Strength:

Hooks up in loose conditions, light, seats up w/ Stan's rim strips well, no burping so far, no flats so far, supple feel

Side nobs squirm on hard surfaces such as exposed rock faces

I like the tire so far. Rocks that are off camber are the main issue. The tire works well in wet loose conditions. I put the tire on because the trails are soupy and loose from a month of rain. It rolls pretty fast and is light.

Kenda Nevegal

[Aug 29, 2009]
    Weminuche

Strength:

light weight, clears mud well

front washes out, quick wear on center rear tread

really liked these tires initially, felt they were light and handled well on climbs and descents. BUT, then I had two horrible wrecks that cost me weeks of pristine ride time due to the front tire washing out while cornering at high speed on dry single track i've never had problems on. LBS confirmed that reputation. very dangerous in the mountains.

bontrager XR, Panaracer Rampage

[Feb 21, 2009]
    klrmtn

Strength:

Good traction, handles lower pressure with tubes great

none that I have run into

I have found the Excalibur with the stock Jones ACX to offer great traction and good rolling capabilities. These are the only 29" tires I have had so far, but compared to other 26" tires, there is no comparison. I have not had any issues with side wall rips, the knobs are holding on well. I haven't typically had flatting problems, and these tires haven't changed that. I typically ride in the dry, loose over hardpack with some sand and lots of roots. They grab and move me forward. I think some of it is from the 29", and some of it is from the tread pattern. I run them with tubes at 28 to 30 psi.

26" tires,wtb velociraptors, Michlin XT,

[Jan 28, 2009]
    Apache Chief

Strength:

Great in dry or wet conditions. Great on climbs and descents. Hooks up well wih roots and rocks. Light and responsive.

Not found any yet

If you’re a 29er newbie or a vet you’ll find these tires will work well in all conditions.

I've found running the maximum air pressure at 65 psi works best for me on a 29er; I guess it is the longer contact patch. 65 psi seems to help push away and shed off mud better and on a dry trail hook up better with rocks and roots. The thing I like about the Jones ACX is they are one of the lightest 29er tires on the market. Rotational weight is the best place to save on weight plus the bike is more responsive; which is a big help on a 29er. Besides having a light, stiff and strong frame a light weight tire may be the less expensive upgrade compared to other weight saving upgrades.

WTB Veloci Raptor & WTB Weirwolf, Kenda Small Block Eight

[Jan 10, 2009]
    jk

Strength:

relatively lightweight

weak sidewalls, not so good in the mud

unless you ride on trails with only a few rocks i would avoid these tires. i ride on a lot of rocky/muddy trails in pennsyltuckey and these don't cut it. after a few rides the sidewalls were wearing thin and they don't perform well in mud. if i rode predominantly smooth dirt or loamy conditions i would consider running these because they are fairly lightweight, but so far nothing beats a nevegal!!!

nevegal, exiwolf, ignitors

[Sep 03, 2008]
    davo

Strength:

great for norcal fire trails. excellent climber on loose, rocky, dust-topped conditions. wouldn't trade them in for any other tire.

none!

these tires are oem on bike when purchased. highly recommended for open trail loose conditions. they dig and bite when needed. once you give them a try, there's no going back to other options. Haven't used them in wet weather conditions yet.

maxxis cross+mark. wtb nanoraptor

[Aug 13, 2007]
    Peter Ryckaert

Strength:

Tire has mad grip on dry semi-loose surfaces. It's early but it seems to be holding up. No wet testing so far. Keeps the bike bolted to the ground. Ride quality seems just fine.

It's wide enough that my Orbea Alma 29er just has the clearance in the back.

This tire is a match for our trail. I can't comment on rocks or damp singletrack. It's dry, dusty and semi-loose this summer.

Lower-end Bontrager with shorter knobs (not enough bite).

[Jan 08, 2007]
    David Dalessio

Strength:

decent traction in dry to damp conditions

Horrible in wet and even worse in mud. side walls are VERY thin get ripped very easy in rocky conditions

would be good for someone that only rides on dry dirt or pavement. I would not recomend this tire to purchase.I switched to maxis ignitor after the side walls got tore up in less than a month/200 miles and the difference is huge the traction is awsome the side walls are alot more durable and traction in shallow mud is alot better.

maxis ignitor