Bontrager FR3 29er Tire

Bontrager FR3 29er Tire

• Long travel all-mountain tire with an aggressive tread design
  • Designed to be a versatile tire for a variety of conditions
  • Aramid bead version are TLR, optimized for use with Super Juice

[Aug 21, 2012]
hbar314
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Cornering, traction (up or down), toughness

Price (but only a little)

This is for the team issue (880g) tire. Running them front and back on my niner wfo and have been beating on them all season from grueling climbs to all day lift riding sessions up in the rockies.
Hands down a do it all tire. Its everything you expect a tire should be and do. I don't realize how good i have it until I borrow someones bike when traveling. The FR3s just continue to deliver traction and track exactly where I point them.

I did a lot of research as I was building new bike and went back and forth about the high price of the team issue but I would happily do it again (and will when these finally wear out).

I'm running them tubless but have been mercyless about throwing them down jagged rocks and hucking them off slick rock. Not a peep out of them. While they are a little heavy for a xc bike they fit the section of all mountain bikes to a T.

[Jul 27, 2012]
JohnDoe

Strength:

Tough, good rolling resistance, good grip in turns.

Kinda heavy, kinda pricey

This isn't just for the gravity guys. I used a team issue to replace the nevagal on the front of my cross country bike and found that it provided better traction in loose rocks, was smoother (if that's a thing), and had lower rolling resistance. When I say smoother it seemed that even at pressures that gave good rolling resistance it would glide over rocks and never once wiggled while ploughing through sandy washes. Sidewalls don't mind rocks and w/ tubeless setup thorns aren't an issue, pulled out a couple dozen so far and haven't had it go flat after a couple weeks. I can easily recommend this tire to anyone who rides XC but wants more confidence in loose fist-sized rocks and sand.

[May 31, 2012]
Brian

Strength:

rockproof sidewalls, predictable steering as a front tire, excellent grip as a rear tire. excellent wearign tread. Pretty fast rolling, expecially for its agressive tread.

880g is not cross country light, but in Phoenix, I love the strong sidewall of this Free Ride casing. For Free Ride - this is a light tire. Again for cross country the sidewall is not flexy. For me this is fine on the rear with my weight 215. As a front tire the firm sidewall adds to steering confidence, but I prefer the 29-4 upfront.

I took my 29-4 and FR3 off to do the 150 mile kokopelli trail because I was looking to go light and wasnot worried about the Phoenix cactus and sharp rocks. I was happy with the Conti and tioga tires on the flat and uphill, be never felt confident on the downhill which was a major bummer especially when I got to the Porcipine Rim decent which was the reward for doing the previous 120 miles. Bontregers are back on.

[May 30, 2012]
BmoreKen

Strength:

Beefy sidewall; easy to mount tubeless

tread pattern and low psi leads to squirrelly feel

Riding this on rigid front tubeless can go very low psi. Easy to mount tubeless. Beefy sidewalls handle rock gardens very well where Panaracer Rampage did not. Trouble is the tire looses traction before it regains traction in loose turns. Didn't like the feel so I replaced it with a Maxxis Ardent and very happy, much more predictable.

[Jul 22, 2011]
noosa2

Strength:

Perfect volume, strong sidewalls, easy to run tubeless - inflated with a floor pump so easily I think I could have inflated it with a hand pump

A very tight fit on Bonty Duster rims with tubeless rim strips (of course the up side of the tight fit is that it inflates so easily)

I have only run this as a front tire but like it so much I'm going to put one on the rear this weekend. Great tire for the Phoenix, rock and chunk.

I'll get back in a few months and rate it as a rear tire.

Ardent, Nevegal, etc

[May 03, 2010]
JStevens

Strength:

Lots of grip,climbing and cornering, on everything they have touched, rocks, hardpack, loose dirt. Good float and traction though the sand and good rollout too. This was an easy tire to beadup for tubeless.

It turns in slower than I'm use to. Which may stength for some.

Great so far.