Bontrager 3 TLR 29er Tire

Bontrager 3 TLR 29er Tire

Tubeless Ready versions of the first ever tires designed specifically for the riding characteristics of 29" wheels. A combination of a large volume direction tire and a lightweight traction tire provide all-around mountain biking performance.

[Sep 18, 2014]
Zachariah
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

~ Just the right amount of volume = epic ride comfort and trail confidence
~ Corners well, with off-camber traction too
~ Handles wet and muddy rides without drama
~ Sub 700g weight
~ Excellent wear characteristics, for a supple 120tpi tire
~ Chevron tread blocks = very fast-rolling
~ Resistant sidewalls, without sacrificing weight
~ Goes tubeless in a snap
~ Light and fast enough for Marathon XC racing

~ Bontrager stopped producing them(how DARE they!)

This review is for the Bontrager 29-3 Team Issue(120tpi) 2.25 29er tire. Initially, Bontrager sold these as part of an oddly-matched set(29 x 2.25/front, 29 x 2.00/rear). The skinny, mismatched rear with the funky, asymmetrical tread blocks were slippery at best and only added to the marketing confusion of an otherwise excellent front-specific tire.

This tire offers the best of ALL worlds; high-volume 120tpi casing, great dry and wet conditions cornering and fast rolling. Many feel this is a true Trail tire - but I think it can even pass off as a great Marathon XC race tire. I run these front and rear, and the results are simply amazing. Going full-throttle on the descents has zero sketchiness and the comfort factor definitely helps you push its limits with sheer confidence. Why Bontrager ended production of this fine rubber, is anybody's guess.

I have tried many high-volume 29er tires in this category.....yet, I still keep coming back to these. You can still find these online on closeout, between $24.99 and $39.99(Original MSRP was $64.99/ea). Do not get the EXP version(60tpi casing). The sidewalls are hard to go tubeless and they don't have nearly that supple feel the more robust casing offers. The Bontrager 29-3 Team Issue has the best attributes of weight, rolling/puncture resistance, and long-term wear(mine lasted 2.5 seasons @2000miles).

~ Panaracer Rampage 2.35"
~ Maxxis Ardent 2.25"
~ Michelin Wild Race'r 2.25
~ Kenda Slant Six 2.2" DTC
~ Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25" PaceStar
~ Continental X-King 2.2" Black Chili
~ Bontrager XR-4 2.2"
~ Specialized The Captain Control 2.2"
~ WTB Wolverine TCS 2.2"
~ GEAX Saguaro TNT 2.2"
~ Hutchinson Cougar Tubeless Light 2.2"

[Oct 25, 2012]
Bad Radiation

Strength:

Wet weather traction on pretty much any surface.
Good stiction on dry surfaces
Strong sidewalls
Lightweight - mine have all been < 700g
Relatively long life - they die slowly. The tread wears evenly.
Tubeless setup is a snap.
And ... can't forget the ubiquitous - "fast rolling!" for those who care

The 29-3 TLR Team Issue 2.25 29er have been discontinued.
Please Bonty - bring 'em back!

Aside from sketchy front wheel performance in dry kibble, none

We are talking about the Bontrager 29-3 TLR Team Issue 2.25 29er
Great tactile feel and traction grip on wet rock, roots, loam and gravel. I have been running this front and rear on 2010 RIP9 for 2.5 years. Finally, wore out the rear.
Exception front tire tracking despite how the tire appears - no large side knobs - just a spider-web of knobs and ridges.
Unfortunately it appears to be discontinued.
Don't waste your time on the 29-3 Team non-TLR - filmsy sidewalls. Same tread patter

Variety or Bontrager stock build tires
Specialized Eskar
Hans Dampf

[Sep 06, 2012]
Jake the biker

Strength:

This tire is good in dry conditions, and it rolls nicely.

They are rally bad in wet conditions.

If you ride on wet trails or over large roots; or even worse wet roots. Then they suck; to the point that they really hold me back and take most of the fun out of riding.
If I only biked in dry conditions they would be a decent tire; but I do not. If you bike on wet or even damp trails I would defiantly not get this tire.

[Aug 11, 2012]
Rich

Strength:

It's a tire. Rolls great

Scares me going fast

This is my front tire on a bike I just bought. I very much miss my slow rolling, grippy, cushy Rampage when it comes to the downhill. I just don't feel as confident when I have to lean into a turn. I will be searching for a front tire that is not as slowing as the Rampage but has better grip than this guy.

[Jun 06, 2012]
APSBiker

Strength:

Great tire for most conditions, hold up well. Nice 'n' grippy.

Not the best for grit over hard or for the mud.

I've purchased several of these tires, all with good results. They have great grip, reminding me of my original mountain bike that came with the Dart up front. The oldest tire I have is a little over a year old right now and it looks fine given how much I've ridden it. Given a choice, I'll keep these on the front of my 29ers for a great any-condition tire.

[May 29, 2012]
mountaindudespike

Strength:

grips well, corners well, stands apart from bontragers bad reputation for tires. I really enjoy this tire.

nothing particular

i would reccomend purchasing this tire, maybe not when offered other options like maxxis or stans tires etc...but if it comes on a bike i would keep it and shred it

ardent