Bontrager 29-3 29er Tire

Bontrager 29-3 29er Tire

Team Issue versions are lighter non-TLR versions of our race proven 29-3 TLR. First tires specifically designed and engineered for 29ers. Versatile tread design allows the 29-3 to be effective in a variety of conditions. 2.25 size is large volume for maximum control while the 2.00 size emphasizes traction and speed.

[May 03, 2016]
Cayenne_Pepa
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

~ Incredible, low rolling resistance
~ Long, thick lugs grab corners
~ 2.25" width stands at threshold of high-volume
~ Goes tubeless with floor pump
~ Interconnected knobs rolls very FAST
~ Great wet traction
~ Works well, as both front and rear tire
~ Decent 730g weight
~ Corners without achieving radical lean agles

~ Packs up with mud easily
~ No longer produced, since 2012

*This review is for the Bontrager 23-3 Team Issue 29 x 2.25" tire...NOT the one pictured*

Great tire, for dusty, rocky and dry SoCal conditions. Even better on loose surfaces. It's a crying SHAME Bontrager ended production...most likely because they were losing $$$$ on this high-quality rubber. Bontrager has replaced this with the equally grippy XR3/4 tires.

~ Maxxis Ardent Race
~ Michelin Wild Rock'r
~ GEAX Mezcal

[Jul 16, 2013]
Jdirt

Strength:

light
rolls well
climbing

packs with mud easy
more like 1.8

great as a rear: light, spins up fast and rolls quick, only downfall is it packs up with mud fast and it is small.

[May 10, 2012]
robpad

Strength:

light weight, rolls fast.

none so far

for the TLR 2.00 version, running it on the rear. surprisingly good traction for a narrow rear tire. works well in moist and dry soil. haven't had the chance to try it in the mud yet. great value for the price. will probably get another one. when this one wears out.

[May 09, 2012]
dcarterdman
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

puncture resistance, holds air, and death grip traction,

there is no specific review for the 29-3 front tire.

This is review is for the Front 29-3. Hands down the best front tire I have every used, I live in Arizona and the trail here are very unforgiving. these tires take a licking and keep on ticking. I recently counted the number of punctures in the tire by counting the wet spots from the sealant the day after a ride and there were 55 holes in the tire. Despite having 55 holes in the tire it will still hold air for over two weeks in a tubless setup. Our terrain here is like riding on kitty liter and beneath it are sharp rocks and countless thorns of all types. In the year I have owned this tire it has never gone flat except when stans dried up. put in more stans and keep it moving. The traction is incredible along with the braking. I love this tire. I had to retire the tire because there literally no tread left. I felt bad removing it because it still grips but with no tread and 55 holes. It is time to replace the tire with yet another one. Do not ever stop making this tire.

Contenental, Geax, Specialized, maxxis

[Mar 18, 2012]
mudpuppy

Strength:

Great all around use, this tire works well on hard packed soil, XC type trail surfaces, lightly wet conditions, pavement, and even gravel paths.

The one situation you will be wishing you had a different tire with a more knobby tread is in more heavily wet and muddy condition. This tire does not shed mud well (but its not the intended conditions for this tire type anyways, so that's given).

If you are looking for an all around great 29er tire for general purpose use and decent price range this is a no-brainer.

[Feb 14, 2012]
rob1035

Strength:

Good weight, good volume (2.25" is accurate), SUPER easy to hook up tubeless, seemingly durable sidewalls; rolls fast

Less volume and grip than I'm used to on the front, not enough of either for me when running rigid; not terrific on the rear (not surprising as its Front Specific)

This review is for the 29-3 Team Issue *Front* tire. I bought it on impulse hoping it might be a slightly more aggressive rear tire to replace my race king out back for less than dry conditions this winter. Not a good rear tire at all for me, but I can't say that's a negative, as it isn't for the rear. Swapped it to the front: much lighter and faster than the Ardent 2.4, which is great. The volume is good, but not big enough to ride rigid for my tastes. Ultimately, I missed the volume and grip of the ardent and switched back. The 29-3 would be great on a bike with full time front suspension, or someone looking for a faster front. This was the easiest tire I've ever hooked up tubeless, used a worn out floor pump. Overall a good quality tire, it simply doesn't jive with my preferences and uses.

Conti Race King 2.2 (rear), Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 (rear), Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (front)

[Jan 31, 2012]
yeahdog31

Strength:

Nice volume, reasonable weight, great traction.

Packs with mud

Let me clarify that this review pertains to the 29-3 2.25 version, NOT the 2.0 version. The tread pattern for each is vastly different.

At first I just ran this tire in the front and I was pleased with the extra cushion the larger volume provides. It is a slightly unusual tread pattern and it looks like it would not be very grippy, but looks can be deceiving with 29er tires.
I switched my rear tire to the same, and I am quite happy with them. In dry or only moist trail conditions, they are pretty great. They aren't overly heavy, roll fast, have predictable cornering, and have pretty great traction for climbing and braking. When riding on wetter trails, they packed up with thick, clay-filled mud, but surprisingly this did not seem to affect the traction. The real downside is when all that mud cakes in there, you add a ton of rotational weight. The tread pattern does not seem to shed this mud as easily as some other tires I've used.
Great tire for dry - decent tire for wet.

Bontrager 29-3 2.0, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, various Kenda.

[Jun 01, 2011]
hags707

Strength:

Fast rolling, lightish, good dry traction

Weak sidewalls ( rode one trip in the North Shore, BC and side walls have rubber mising ), Very slippery on wet roots and rocks,

Good for dry condintions, I won't buy these tire's,will ride if there on the bike.

Schwable Racing Ralphs

[Oct 18, 2010]
joebreez

Strength:

Good rolling resistance, decent traction

Slight scuff in sidewall

When I picked up the bike from lbs I looked at the tires and was sure within a week or so I'd be replacing them. I'm used to a 26 inch bike with some meaty treads. Nevegals and small block 8's are what my old bike had so I thought for sure these weird looking tires would be coming off quickly.
I have to say that after over a month of thrashing the bike I'm actually surprised at the traction these tires have.Good cornering and climbing traction, even on smooth rocks.
They are larger volume at 2.2" and have a pretty smooth ride. I'm about 210lbs and run about 32psi in both tires. No problems so far on wet roots and rocks and the tires seem to hang in there as long as you're not riding above about 9/10ths. Even then I only get some controlled drifting, but very predictable.I'm fairly quick but not a thrasher of a rider. I can and do use a fair amount of finesse while bombing down trails.So far I haven't had any one area where they are lacking, overall a very good do everything tire.
When these wear out I may just replace them with the same tires. I'm only giving 4 overall chili's because I haven't ridden many other 29er tires.

[Aug 31, 2010]
TrekSErider

Strength:

strong sidewalls, light, easy to mount, rolls fast

braking traction at high speed (specifically on hardpack decents)

I have been on these for a few months now and put a few hundred miles on them, mostly in the rock quarry riding we have in Florida. The tire has always been good- not as supple as the Maxxis Ignitor (my go-to tire), but this is in a different category also. The narrow, low profile traction rolls fast and the sidewalls have held up well. I run them around 25psi (175lbs). The big downside for me is when I go north for races- I can bomb down some hardpacked stuff in Ga and NC and the braking traction is down right scary (or lack of traction I should say). Great flat- mid-land course tire, not so much for the mountains, based on descending

laundry list of tires