Tamer Pivot Plus XC Suspension Seatpost

Tamer Pivot Plus XC Suspension Seatpost

TheTamer Pivot Plus suspension seatpost features an anti-swivel systemTo remove unwanted seat rotation. Weight: 490 g Length: 350 mm Material: Aluminum Seatpost Diameter: 27.2 mm Offset: 10 mm Minimum Height: 83 mm Max Height: 260 mm

[Oct 14, 2017]
Angela

Strength:

There is suspension

You have to unweight the saddle (lift up your butt) in order for the saddle to return to the original saddle height

I'm going to give my suspension post a few more rides, but I'm very close to throwing away my new Tamer Pivot Plus Suspension post that I bought for stoking on our tandem. I initially set up the suspension the way the instructions said (tiny sag when you are sitting on the saddle with your legs hanging down). Within 1 mile, I had to firm up the suspension by 2 turns more because my saddle height changed 10+ times all over the place. With the firmer suspension, I'm not sure if I would still feel the "float" sensation or not; but I do feel that there is a slight wobble on either side of my saddle when I stomp pedal hard. So, I don't really know what the float sensation should feel like. I also have to unweight the seat by lifting my butt up after a bump in order for the saddle to go back up to the original saddle height. This is very annoying compared to the Thudbuster. Although the Thudbuster does move up and down (slightly) when I stomp pedaled, at least, I never have to unweight the saddle (lift up my butt) in order to regain my original saddle height after going over a bump. I weigh 125pounds.

Thudbuster

[Feb 13, 2002]
Jim Dietrick

Strength:

Very responsive and tunable. It also is more compact than most pivot designs. I have used the Hals G-Shok for about 3 years and the Tamer Tricky Dick (which is what I have - not the Pivot Plus) seems to soak up the hits just as well without being quite as bouncy on climbs. It is also considerable lighter.

Makes a fair amount of noise - but in my experience that is inherent in pivots of any kind on an MTB. The noise can be diminished, if not eliminated, with religious lubricating.

If this post holds up long term, and I have no reason to think it will not - the design and assembly seem very strong - this is the post of choice for hardtails.

Hals G Shok

[Oct 17, 2001]
Edward Lewis

Strength:

Well engineered. Good looking. Relatively seat adjustment and easy installation

Remains to be seen if any.

Excellent customer service at Tamer working out the proper setup for the Tandem. Received excellent input and service via phone and email. If post works as well as Tamer personnel, I will be quite satisfied.

Non suspension seatposts

[Sep 21, 2001]
Jean Thibaudeau

rebond is way to fast
the clamp creaks a lot
it is almost impossible to ajust seat tilt correctly
the head came off in a race !!!!

This eat post is bad, bad, bad. It is very not reliable. If you are a racer, you just can't count on it.

Rock shox

[Sep 21, 2001]
Luca Calabro'

Strength:

Work very well.
No more "BUMPS" under my butt !!!
Heavy construction.

The post is working very great. I'm very happy with this new Butt-saver.

[Oct 21, 2007]
Billy

Strength:

works great

noisy if you don't keep it cleaned, lubed

I've had this for about 7 years. It works great, I can't imagine going without it. It has a very natural feel. After about 6 years it broke and I crashed and was unhappy. I'm 230-240 lbs so I guess 6 years is pretty good. Still, it hurt. I contacted Tamer and they rebuilt it for a very reasonable price. Lately if I don't lube it every ride it starts squeaking like someone scratching a record. It's really annoying so I took it apart and hopefully it will stop. I would hate to go without it. It's probably why I'm still riding hardtail at 44.

post moderne?

[Aug 05, 1999]
Chris J

Strength:

This post uses a coil spring which gives it a lively feel and lots of travel (claimed 65mm).

It's a bit heavy (claimed 400 grams) and the seat clamp mechanism is difficult to adjust. Also the preload adjustment requires that the post be removed from the bike.

I've just gotten off my first ride on the new post but initially I think it will work. It was a little less expensive than others in the same catagory and the ride seems solid and cush. The only disappointment was the seat clamp mechanism slipped several times and the retaining set screws backed out into oblivion. I have requested Tamer send me a couple of replacements, if they do it's Kudos, if not it's damnation.

I've tested a Moxey and it was a little lighter but it used an elastomer which is not so good. The Tamer also has a smaller parallelogram which allows one to stuff the post further into the frame.

[Oct 04, 2000]
Greg

Strength:

Moves smothly
Easy to lube
Plush
Easy to maintain

Weight
Needs to be lubed alot so that it does not make ugly noises

I bought a Tamer Pro XC last year. Used it a few times and a piece on it broke. Called Tamer they sent a new one out right away. That piece broke on the first ride. At that point I was very discouraged, I called Tamer again. They offered me a new part but I did not want to deal with another long walk home because of broken parts. They quickly agreed to upgrade me to a post with out such a part at no charge. (the pivot plus is about $60-70 more) The new post is working great. I was very happy with Tamer's customer service. What a company. I will update after a few months with this post. But I would definately buy Tamer again.

Tamer Pro XC

[Mar 28, 2003]
eric

Strength:

simple set up, great ride and durability, easy service

makes noise if not lubed

This seat post really takes out small to medium bumps well.
You can ride over washboards without worry. If you like your hard tail but want a smoother(soft tail)ride, this is for you. Its held up well to aggressive riding and allows me to ride all day without the pain that I had from my non-suspension post. The best part is the great ride without the cost or weight of a full suspension bike. This post made me want to keep my hard tail and I haven't regreted it once.

[Jun 28, 2000]
Tim Kennedy

Strength:

Looks great. Performs great. doesn't have problems supporting heavier riders. Easy to tune. Extra bolts at
the seat clamp.

You have to remove it from the bike to tune it. You have to take it apart to change seats.

I weigh 230lbs. I think some seatposts aren't designed for clydesdale size riders. The ones I demo'd all bottomoed out on me, which was less than comfortable. I've been riding
the Tamer for a little over a month now, and it's been great. Unbeleivable difference from the rigid post I had before. Great Price, too.
All in all, the extra work needed to change seats, or adjust hte dampening is well worth the comfort and price and performance.

demo'd USE suspension seatpost, and another el-cheapo with no memorable name.