Tamer Centrik Suspension Seatpost

Centrik

The CentrikTamer Seatpost features anti-swivel systemTo remove unwanted seat rotation which makes for a comfortable and functional seatpost. Weight: 394 g Length: 350 mm Material: Aluminum Seatpost Diameter: 27.2 mm Offset: 7 mm Minimum Height: 142 mm Max Height:270 mm

Luap   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2000]
Strength:

I'll get back to you when I think of one... don't wait up!

Play in the saddle, creaking, clicking, the feeling that you could be stabbed at any minute.

This post is a piece of junk. Don't buy one... odds are you could go to any landfill and find one for free. This hex shaft/bushing adjustment for taking out the play is a farce. You can take it out alright... but it comes back after 15 minutes of riding! Your saddle is back flopping around and making a bunch of racket again. I really did give this post a fair shot... I'm just glad it came "free" with the bike and it wasn't an upgrade!

Similar Products Used: None yet... my Thudbuster should be in this weekend!
Steve Dettmar   Weekend Warrior [Apr 28, 2000]
Strength:

None, none of them have been in use long enough to evaluate strenghts.

The overall design is poor. I have broken four, count them four posts, all (in my opinion)due to design flaws. The first two failures were the bolt used to secure the saddle, they snapped. The third failure was the aluminum casting that the saddle sits in, it broke off. The fourth post was an "upgrade" the bolts thread into an aluminum pice, the threads pulled out.

They have been good about replacing the previous failed seatposts, but now I am asking for my money back and no one will reply.

Similar Products Used: none
Dave   Racer [May 12, 1999]
Strength:

Suspension works well
Warranty service (You'll need it!)

Breaks!

I went through two of these posts and neither lasted more than a week. The action of the post was quite good and the ride was great for racing, but they just don't last. I snapped one jumping some stairs (ok- my fault), but the other just bent back about 15 degrees during the first ride I had it on my bike. I weight about 165-170 for what it is worth. Don't buy it unless you want a scar on the inside of your leg like me!!!!

Similar Products Used: Just about everything
Eric in Tampa   [Jan 06, 1999]

Just bought the 1999 Pro XC after an analysis for myself and my girlfriend...both are 40-something riders using hardtails in the Tampa area...we wanted comfort, and durability. We get in 1500+ miles a year off road. We selected the Tamer Pro XC suspension posts (http://www.tamerusa.com) for
the following reasons: Adjustability-they use a 4 elastomer system that will allow for better tuning. Micro adjustment on the seat angle is very easy to use and appears to be quite strong.Upgradability-you can move to a spring/oil bath upgrade, or spring/elastomer
combination Warranty-Lifetime warranty has it's appeal Weight-it's not the lightest in the world, but we are not gram heads---420 Grams! (less than the Pivots or a FS Bike!) Sized posts...no shims!They also incorporate a system to deal with the side-to-side issue as it emerges
over time. It had more functionality for the buck than others in it's class. We only received them a week or so ago, and have had a few rides. I am happy
with the purchase so far...durability will be the key. I'll post again in a few months...

Cole   racer [Dec 02, 1998]

the new tamer shock posts are great for cross country racing. they're pretty light, certainly lighter than a fs bike, and it still climbs like a hardtail. my tamer pro seatpost has been on my bike since march, and it's doing good. i'm stoked. it's pretty enough to be the crown jewel on my bike. super high tech looking. hey, has anyone seen one of their paralellogram seatposts? saw one in their catalog and it looks sweet. does anyone know any details on it?

John   weekend warrior [Nov 02, 1998]

My wife and I purchased Tamer comfort ride seatposts shortly after we bought our bikes. What a difference they have made! We're recreational riders, and the cushion that these seatposts gives has been a blessing to us. I had back surgery three years ago, and the seatpost has allowed me to ride longer and enjoy the rides more. I was seriously thinking about full suspension, but couldn't justify it because I didn't know how much I was going to be riding. This seatpost gives me many of the benefits of FS, without the weight and cost of FS.

Eric   cross-country rider [Nov 03, 1998]

I rode my friend Rob's tamer post today for about 20 minutes. At first it felt wierd, but towards the end of my ride on it, it started to disappear under me. I'm still not totally sold on shock posts, but I might get one for my kona and give it a try. The tamer is a good looking post. The seatpost is trick! I'll give it 4 chilies, with the possible upgrade later to 5 if I like one on my bike.

Supercup   racer [Oct 28, 1998]

Tamer has a good product. I bought an aluminum pro model to take the sting out of my Redline cross bike. Despite the sometimes brutal impacts of constant re-mounts, this post continues to perform flawlessly. The rubber boot on the post keeps the slime away, and a shot of chain lube on the shaft occasionally keeps things sliding smoothly. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, even if I did have to shell out $150. It was worth it, because I enjoy racing 'cross more because getting back on the bike isn't quite as brutal.

Dave Chase   racer [Oct 29, 1998]

I've been riding the pro carbon and racing all the Winter Park and CORPS series since I got this post in June and it still feels like new. Keep it clean and lubed and it will stay smooth like butter. This post has seen some serious abuse and I can say that it's definitely bombproof. I love it and all the USE converts I've come across like their Tamers better than the USEs.Ran into Rishi Grewal at Velo Swap this weekend and saw that he had a few. Told me that he loved his... And he did win the Pro Men Solo division at Moab on one...

Matt Gersib   racer [Oct 29, 1998]

I've been riding on a '98 Tamer Pro Carbon for the past year without a single rebuild. I'd estimate that it has at least a couple of thousand off-road miles on it. It was on my bike when I won the NCS (expert-class) at Breckenridge. It was on my bike during 24 hours of Moab. It's on my bike now. Maybe I should be on my bike... Tamer's product has improved significantly over older versions. I've ridden a bunch of other ssp, and I like the Tamer the best.