Hydrapost SR2 Suspension Seatpost

Hydrapost SR2

Dante Lanzetta   Weekend Warrior [May 03, 1999]

I have TWO Hydra-posts and have been pleased with them, BUT one now could use some work -- and I can no longer reach the company. Does anyone know if they are still in business? If so, is there a new address/phone number?

Mark   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2003]
Strength:

Smooths out jolts. Nice dampening prevents pogoing.

Comes in any color as long as its black.

wouldn't ride without one with a hardtail

Mike   Cross-Country Rider [May 27, 1999]
Strength:

The only post with true damping, roller bearings, offset clamp, reliable.

Heavy. Action not super smooth. Some rotational play. Needs seatpost shim.

Pretty reliable and technically sophisticated compared to other seatpost shocks. A little on the heavy side. The price is right. Look at the others from a technical perspective. This shock is the most advanced. Other shock use bushings, elastomers, and have no damping. This one has a coil spring, oil damping, and roller bearings. The seat clamp is offset to the rear so you can slide your saddle back far like most non shock seatposts. Anyone know how to take one apart to change/bleed the oil? 4 smokers only because it's the heaviest seatpost out there. Buy a light saddle to offset the weight. Having to use a seatpost shim is also a slight negative.

Similar Products Used: None.
mr   weekend warrior [Jun 10, 1998]

Have used on the back of a MTB tandem for a couple of years. The Hydrapost is way too heavy and now will have to be replaced as it has lost all of its damping. We're going to try something different and hope for more durablility. The products performance was acceptable when new.

Bob   weekend warrior [Jun 12, 1998]

No stiction (ball-race bearings), no pogo, just a good bit more comfortable than a fixed post. It doesn't feel much heavier to me than my original (fixed) seatpost, so I've no complaints there (I believe the earlier versions were heavier than they are now). No slippage on the shim at all. They've been making these since 1989 and they come with a 3 year warranty, so fears about durability are unfounded I would say. Check it out at http://www.hydrapost.com

Jim Glover   cross-country rider [Apr 04, 1998]

We had a Hydrapost on the rear of our tandem. Benefits: very smooth travel, which is super important for the stoker; it was really the only product available at the time. Drawbacks: weighs a ton; it eventually lost all of its damping oil; shim system for different seatpost diameters is not a good solution (although it is inexpensive for the manufacturer).

Mike   cross-country rider [Mar 10, 1998]

I had a Hydra post on my Diamond Back hardtail for a couple years (95 96). I liked it a lot. It was the black original model, a tad heavy, but so was the bike frame. I have riden other suspension posts, namely the USE Post and I prefer the springs in the hydra over the elastomers. With the hydra, you felt you were floating over stuff, with elastomers they just deadened the jolts. This difference in the springs over elastomers is the reason your seeing more and more springs in suspension forks and less elastomers in the newer ones. The motorcross bikes have been up on this for years. -1 for the weight of the one I had.

Link   cross-country rider [Feb 19, 1998]

For specs, picture, etc... of the Hydrapost products... go to
www.hydrapost.com
ignore rating, this is not a product review. I haven't seen much marketing about the SR-2. Or any of Hydra post's products...So if you have one please post a review.
Their home page has a technical diagram of the guts of their posts. A little weighty, but they swear that there is no side-to-side or pivotol play.

Henry Krates   weekend warrior [Feb 15, 1998]

've had one of these on my XC bike for years and like it. My wife REALLY likes hers on the
back of our tandem. 1.9 travel, adjustable preload. CrMo model is most popular, most sturdy.
The company has been making sus posts longer than anyone and they have gradually brought the
weight down. Still heavier than some but also seems more durable. I had one that failed by allowing
the saddle to rotate completely, but the company has a two year warranty and quickly will
repair/replace in case of defect.
I am surprised they aren't reviewed more, I guess they havn't marketed very well.
Available through LBS, which may need to order it from QBP, the wholesaler of the posts.
Price range is $75 to $115, depending on model.

scot   cross-country rider [Feb 22, 1999]

I have the original Hydrapost,don't know year- ran it with a flexstem first couple years(pre-rockshox years). It has outlasted two frames and still going! A little portly, but hey so were those first two bikes. I hear the newer models are lighter, so I will definatly get another if this one EVER breaks.