Hals G-Shock Seatpost Suspension Seatpost

G-Shock Seatpost

Hals G-Shock Seatpost

BÃ¥rd BrÃ¥ten   Cross Country Rider [Nov 25, 2001]

Well, i am sorry that I have have to place a new review and tell that I am not so pleased with this product anymore.

The seatpost broke after just 3 months. Apparently this is a well known problem with the G-shock, but mr. Lauritzen is not very willing to replace it or give me the money back. Says he is broke... This sucks !

I bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster.

Tord Bern Hansen   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2003]
Strength:

A HT with a G-Shok is:
+ cheaper than a ST
+ lighter than a ST
+ as good as a ST on smooth paths
+ less maintenance than a ST

On a rough path with stones and roots a ST is better. But a G-Shok is much better than without.

If you have a hardtail and are considering buying a softtail - try a G-Shok before you make a decision.

Similar Products Used: RST
Alan Calvitti   [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

Suspension is as good as soft tail frames.

Heavy and hard to clean. I think weight could be reduced by drilling through the cage and that would also make it easier to reach the piston and spring. Of course that'd make it weaker and slightly less aerodynamic

I mostly use my mtb as transportation on roads. Have not tested it extensively offroad. But from my experience the G-shock is well worth it. You get soft tail rear suspension without the bulk, complexity and expense of a soft-tail frame

Geir Hansen   [Nov 05, 2001]
Strength:

My dreams come true... I agree with BÃ¥rd.. Who needs a full suspension bike?

Hav'nt found any yet.

I got this g-shok as a demo from Hals-Lauritzen but I'm holding on to this one... It's to good to loose.
It seems like they have started producing the g-shok again.
Check it out... :)

Crismar12   weekend warrior [Sep 12, 1998]

I have been riding the G-shok for about three months now, and I am vey impressed by its general perfomance. However, it needs rebound damping!!! Sometimes the post's rebound feels like it's a rocket launching me into the air, off the saddle, and out of control. G-shok men your product is a great post, but I have to switch to the Powerpost Moab which is similar to the G-Shok with one difference. The Moab has reboung damping. Please design the 1999 model G-shok with rebound damping.

Michael   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2000]
Strength:

Plush and no annoying rebound.
Works precisely as it should.

Somewhat heavy.

This is a wonderful product. It does the job beautifully and the setup is easy and foolproof. Though the U.S.E. post I have on one bike works well, the G-Shok provides better protection while not effecting riding efficiency. Please note that the phone number on the web site is no longer accurate, so you should leave a piece of mail for Espen.

Similar Products Used: Power Post Moab; U.S.E. XCR
Dan Mitchell   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 2000]
Strength:

Soaks up bumps, super sturdy, no bobbing, no weird forwards/backwards motion, no stiction. Super-plush.
Very importantly -- works in the cold.

None too light, none too cheap.

It makes an _amazing_ difference to the speed I can go over little bumps -- sure, it's not 8 inches of rear travel, but it lets me just hammer over the vast majority of non-technical terrain and not get kicked around all over the place; riding on bumpy trails/roads is a whole world different. I tried putting the old rigid seatpost I had before this on a month or so back just to see if I was imagining the improvement, but I wasn't -- it was no fun getting kicked around that much after I've got used to the comfort of the g-shok.

It's occasionally been weird to be cycling over rough terrain and have a weird vibrating sensation in my feet; I can't feel them in my arms, or my butt, so only my feet can tell they're there.

I'm sure a genuine softtail would do a better job of soaking bumps up, but then you get all the biopacing issues -- with any suspension seatpost you could theoretically get this if you sit down and have a really rough pedal stroke, but it's actually been a useful way for me to improve my spinning, because when my spin goes to pieces I can feel myself bobbing up and down as my weight moves. Standing up, though, obviously nothing happens; sitting down and spinning smoothly, no problems, the bumps just vanish.

The other critical thing about this seatpost as compared to, say, a Thudbuster or a Moxey is that it uses springs, not elastomers. That may not matter to a lot of people, but I cycled through last winter on this thing, and at -20 celsius, elastomers turn solid -- and cycling over bumpy rutted ice is a lot easier when you're not bouncing around all over the place. If you need a suspension seatpost that works in the cold, this is what you want.

Overall: I honestly can't imagine any way that something could work better than this does; other ones may well be as good, but I don't think they're any better. And the G-Shok sure looks cool..

Similar Products Used: Tested a few of the telescoping ones in shops (coda, etc).
Jim Dietrick   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2000]
Strength:

Extremely good suspension! Absorbs bumps big and small. Easily adjustable, easy to rebuild. Looks cool!

No dampening, but still waaahh!

Superb product! All the advantages of a hardtail with the bumps smoothed out. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't turn a HT into DH bike, but it absorbs some pretty big hits, and allows you to hammer through rough sections. I can't say enough good things about it. I just rebuilt mine and as long as I have replacement pins (which reminds me I think I'll order a couple extra sets ($12.00 ttl) to have on hand) I believe this seatpost will outlast me. It is rock solid and has a very nice machined look to it! Lot's of looks and questions on the trail. Just go get one you won't regret it!

Similar Products Used: Tamer Carbon Susp.
Wrench   Weekend Warrior [Nov 19, 1999]
Strength:

Quality construction, excellent damping action. I received good, prompt service from Hals-Lauritzen (I noticed that some of the reviewers have had problems in the past).

I'd like to see them offer a stiffer spring. Otherwise, no weaknesses.

Once you've installed and configured the G-Shok correctly, it performs like a dream. I'm 6' 5, 240 Lbs, and I have some lower back problems that kept me off my mountain bike. I researched the suspension seatposts that are currently available, and G-Shok looked to be the best design. On a ride, the G-Shok just floats...you don't even notice the action. You do notice that it's working, because your ass and back hurt a lot less after a jarring ride. 5 fiery opossums!