Risse Racing Gem Cartridge Shock Upgrade

Racing Gem Cartridge

Risse Racing Gem Cartridge

shanedawg   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2000]
Strength:

wide range of adjustability, reliability

Risse Cartridge improved the ride dramatically and increased travel at the same time. I got the 75mm version and love it. I got mine on sale for a great price but it did not come with the parts for the other leg. I went over to the risse shop and they fixed me up with the missing parts for a great price. Great service and great product!

Similar Products Used: stock cartridge
mark b   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2000]
Strength:

design, adjustability,

this cartrige will make your fork much more versatile. The adjustment range is quite good, and the performace increase is dramatic. (in my case). Also my first rebuild was free.(they need to be sent back for rebuild) $20 bucks after that, and it only took 5 day turnaround both times.

Similar Products Used: original damper
lil Judas   Weekend Warrior [Nov 26, 1999]
Strength:

easy install, great tech support, 1st quality craftmanship

none so far, maybe could use knob for damping instead of an allen wrench, but that is trivial.

I got the 80mm kit and it feels so much better than the stock Rock Shox cartridge. At first it felt a bit stiff but it settled in after a few rides. Also got the WB Judd springs in there as well. It feels very close to my Z2 Bam now - plush, full travel. Takes big hits without the harshness and bottoming/topping out like the stock internals. The Risse guys have awesome tech support and are very helpful, which is a rarity these days.

Similar Products Used: just the stock crappy Judy cartridge
Sam   Weekend Warrior [Mar 23, 1999]
Strength:

Effective, plush, reliable

Very Cool. First if was Speedsprings but after four (!) blown Rockshox cartridges, I had enough. This feels better than the stock cartridge ever did. No more pogo, I'm hydraulic! Easy installation too. The guys at Risse are first class.

Similar Products Used: Judy cartridge
Skillet Onemangang   Cross Country Rider [Feb 16, 2000]
Strength:

Greatly improved damping, adjustability, and added travel to my fork. Significantly improves performance on small stutters (roots) as well as big hits.

Risse customer service was second to none. They gave me tuning advice and helped with the initial set-up. When I did have a problem, they replaced the GEM with no questions asked, no receipt etc. Made a great performance improvement. After sending back my 4th set of Englund air cartridges (loved the performance but they'd always leak), I decided to opt for performance AND reliability. Thus, speed springs with the GEM and the fork is greatly improved and doesn't leave me riding a rigid bike back to the car like the Englunds often did.

Similar Products Used: Stock Judy damper, Englund air
Nic Huffman   Cross Country Rider [Nov 19, 2002]
Strength:

durable, simple to rebuild, smooth, adjustable not just in theory

its not free

i bought one of these almost as soon as they were available-- maybe 5 years ago. i had broken a plastic Judy cartridge, and then an aluminum one. i serviced the gem damper for the first time in 4 years yesterday. it had leaked maybe 1/4 of its oil probably due to loose fork bushings (and magura rim brakes that can visibly flex the fork). the inside still had perfect black anodizing on it and the seals looked new. rebuild only took snap ring pliers, 5wt oil, and a 2mm hex. i am really impressed with the durability of this unit. it has held up perfectly for 4000 miles and counting.

Similar Products Used: i work at a shop, so i get to ride a lot of stuff
Tony   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2004]
Strength:

Good Damping

As far as I know it is not compatible with newer Judy forks

Risse has great customer service and the cartridge is very easy to fine tune by changing the oil weight.

I've been riding on this cartridge for over 7 years and while the bike gets fewer miles these days, the Risse cartridge continues to perform. I have a brand-new, never installed warranty replacement Rock-Shox Judy cartridge in my bike-parts pile and it has leaked more oil sitting in a drawer than the Risse has in the last 4 years of riding.

Great niche product. If you have an old Judy (94-97 or so) and find one of these on eBay, snap it up.