Mountain Speed SpeedSprings Shock Upgrade

SpeedSprings

• Spring kits available for most forks on the planet.
  • Multitude of rates available to fit any riders needs.
  • Wound from the highest quality spring wire.
  • Extensive manufacturing processes - shot peened, pre-set, heat treated and powder coated to ensure long life and consistant performance.
  • Spring rates held within 3% of claimed rate (stock springs only held to 15%).

• User Reviews (82)

Ben   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2002]
    Strength:

Incredible plushness

Even with the X-tra frim springs, it's still not quite stiff enough (I only weigh 160 lbs)

These springs made a huge difference in the way my bike handles any size of hit. I dont have to worry about bottoming off of small drops anymore, though the shocks are still a little too soft for my taste (even witht he X-tra firm springs). I guess i'll just have to switch to a heavier (but slower rebound) oil.

Similar Products Used: Stock Marzocchi Springs
    Marzocchi Air Spring
    Raiyn   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2001]
    Strength:

These springs kick a$$

none so far

HUGE improvemnet over the stock elastomers I used to blow through the travel in the stockers then I switched to the firm springs and have had no problems the do bottom out but not as hard and no where near as hard. I've had no rebound problems what-so-ever. For the record I'm 6'4" 235lbs

Similar Products Used: Stock elastomers on 99 RS Jett C
    David Brande   cross-country rider [Nov 13, 1998]

Ditched the (new) MCU's in my 96 Judy SL for a pair of medium springs. (I weigh 175.) Jeeeeeezuz, what a difference. Might as well not have had suspension before. I might get a set of firm ones before I go home to where there are actual variations in topography. These things are so worth it. Cambria's got'em for I think $44.

Jerry Springer   cross-country rider [Nov 13, 1998]

I just installed the Speedbomb kit in my Atom bomb and I did notice a slight in-
    crease in performance, but not in the claimed travel increase. I measured the
    travel with a zip tie around my santions and hit some heavy bumps and jumps.
    I didn't bottom out and I didn't get more than 65mm of travel.
    The Speedbomb springs seem a little stiffer so it helped decrease the excess
    bobbing.

rob   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 1999]
    Strength:

easy to maintain
    EIBACH!
    very consistant
    not affected by weather
    lasts forever/will outlast my bike

XS not light enough for fly-weight riders like myself
    expensive for just springs
    ok,ok so they are heavier than elastomers

Every shock I've ever owned has somehow eventually gotten its' guts replaced by speedsprings. In my latest venture to make my DHO work better for my weight, I took out all the spacers in the Speed-O and replaced the black main spring with the XS 7 SpeedSprings I had in the Judy XC. WOW! I'm only 110 and I now get a full 5 travel out of a DHO! Probably just voided the warranty on both the springs and the shock by doing that though. The XS springs from the Judy are over 3 years old and they are still pumpin'!
    I just keep the WELL lubed with Judy Butter to keep them happy, happy, happy! BAM!

Similar Products Used: stock elastomers and springs
    Jim Gross   weekend warrior [Mar 31, 1998]

I have some 97 Judy XC's on a Lava Dome, and I found the standard forks too stiff and unresponsive. Knowing I hadn't the cash for a full upgrade including new cartridge, I got some soft Speed Springs (which if I installed both would be too soft) and installed just one. This lets the forks rebound in a controlled manner, but with a really plush compression. (This isn't just my view, but also that of all my friends who tried them.) If you don't want to go the whole hog, just spring one side. It avoids pogo, and gives a good overall feel with no what can I upgrade next problems. 5 stars (one-sided...)

Bill S.   weekend warrior [Mar 21, 1998]

Couldn't stand piece of crap Manitou Mach 5's one more second. Stopped in a shop on way to ride and had red Speed Springs installed (less than $60.00 out door) -- and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now I actually have a front shock that doesn't enter a rut and stay there until I fly over it upside down saying ^$#&@*(#$! So far so good -- best 60 buck upgrade imaginable!

Maro   cross-country rider [Mar 25, 1998]

I have installed Speed-springs to my RST Mozo XL 4.5 and the performance has increased, on travel and plushness. The original MCU's were just like pieces of plastic. Then I installed Manitou's soft MCU's I had before. The fork worked better than original setting but not enough. Then I decided to buy Speed-springs and that was good choice. I installed 7 xs springs and original short springs and took off one of air dampener(I weigh around 145 lb). I get about 1/2 of 1G sag and a bit less than 4 travel( I haven't had die-hard ride yet). If anyone with RST forks with original MCU's, get Speed-springs.

Chris Cuylle   cross-country rider [Mar 25, 1998]

Very plush. You get smooth travel even in the cold weather when elastomers tend to harden up into something like a rock. (It does get cold here in the winter time!)
    The speedsprings were also very simple to install in my 96 Judy XC's (They are a special edition with 3 inches of travel)

Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2000]
    Strength:

They look nice in the bag.

I bought the heaviest spring kit they offered. These springs weren't as firm as the standard elastomer/spring set up that came with the forks. They caused my forks to Top-out.

These are not a good product for Manitou X-Vert R's. I only put about 30 miles on the kit. They caused so much damage to my forks that I had to send them back to Manitou to be rebuilt. Afterwords, Mountain Speed wouldn't refund my money. I give them 1 star, because I can't give them 0.