Mountain Speed FSR XC X-Rated Link Kit Shock Upgrade

FSR XC X-Rated Link Kit

• Conversion for '99-'00 Specialized FSR XC bikes and '01 Rockhopper FSR XCs
  • Improves lateral stability via the traditional style machined shock hardware and DU bushing instead of plastic.
  • Travel increase from stock76 mm (2.96") to 90 mm (3.546")
  • Nickel Plated CNC'd 6061 T6 aluminum link.

• User Reviews (22)

JamesD   Racer [Mar 16, 2002]
    Strength:

Stiffens up the rear end, completely transforms the FSR. The machining is amazing and makes your bike look "high end". The only way to make it better is if MRP made a 100gram version.

"UD" bushing is really tough to mount. You'll see what I mean!
    Nickel plating is beautiful but a bit fragile as it can be chipped if, say, a rock hits it but that is a superficial thing- doesn't affect the performance. I would still rather have the nickel plating because it looks so sweet!

Everything they say about the MRP X-Rated Link is true. This thing is amazing and turns that rear suspension into a stiff, efficient beast.
    It adds about 100 grams (link kit and drop out bearing kit combined) but is well worth it because it improves everything about the bike other than the few grams. The quality is top notch.
    I checked out the 2002 M5 S-Works and they have the same type of MRP Link except it looks like a playschool toy version of the X-Rated Link. The 2002 FSR has a goofy black plastic-looking link (I think it's metal though).
    Both the '02 FSR and MRP give you 90mm of travel.
    Get the rear dropout links for $24 more. The needle bearings are amazing and turn your suspension into silk. The X-Rated Link transforms your FSR and the dropout bearing kit completely eliminates any trace of stiction and flex that is left.
    This is one part worth every dime and does exactly what it says. It's like riding a new bike and compares to any FS bike from any price range.
    Instructions are clear with photos and install took 1 hour (mostly trying to get that UD bushing in!)

Similar Products Used: Stck FSR S-Works link. The only thing good about it is it is lightweight. It fails as a suspension device. Specialized realized this and tried to change it on the '02 FSR. Still not up to MRP quality or looks.
    Steve Ellis   Racer [Dec 29, 2006]
    Strength:

Highest quality, fit/finish, performs better than described!

Price..

Just did this upgrade to my older but perfectly maintained bike.. Added a few more years to its life! Like other comments, should have done this years ago just for the travel and ride-feel improvements. Installation was a no-brainer, no issues with bushings, follow directions. High quality and exceeds expectations. Had to increase shock air pressure 40psi over normal due to increased lever ratio. Ride suppleness and quality over small bumps is superior, big hits are smoother. Answers to tech questions I had before buying were spot on. Just buy it.

Similar Products Used: None
    Rick   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2002]
    Strength:

Quality machining, high quality bearings, reasonable installation requirements, DOES WHAT IT CLAIMS

None yet

I was ready to sell this bike until I tried the MSR link and full bearing kit. It's almost like riding another bike.......you get to feel how the rear end was designed to work......truly an amazing difference.One caution: I experienced a reluctance for the front derailleur to shift down to the smallest chainring when I set the shock in the longer-travel position. It seems the bulge in the outer plate won't contact the chain any longer 'cause the chain gets angled downward too severely. I use the stock 90mm travel position and it keeps the bike from being too twitchy. Two weeks after the install, I went on my annual pilgrimage to Colorado, riding Breck, Vail, Winter Park, Durango, and Fruita. I had ridden the same trails the year before with the stock setup, and it's no stretch to say that all the trails were much more enjoyable, especially the long rough downhills.I weigh 195 in full riding garb, and I'm no finesse rider, yet the whole system is still tight and trouble-free.By the way, the guys on the phone at MSR are friendly, will answer any and all questions, and are just a pleasure to spend your coins with.Got an FSR with toy bushings? Buy the whole kit (with dropout bearings). You'll fall in love with your FSR all over again.

Similar Products Used: Stock plastic bushings and stock link
    Rocco Sifreddi   Cross Country Rider [Nov 26, 2001]
    Strength:

More travel. Looks sick and beefy

that it was an aftermarket purchase which means more money into the bike

Makes the bike look beefy and psychologically makes you feel
    huge. You sit up a little higher and gives you another inch of travel. This thing is sick! If you have the green, buy it.

Similar Products Used: stock link
    Kell   Weekend Warrior [Dec 03, 2001]
    Strength:

Stiffens rear end, increases travel

Cost a lot for such a small piece of metal.

I am reviewing my brothers link. He has the MSR and I have the BETD on my bike. The MSR works great and is a big improvement over stock. makes the back end stiffer and gives you the option of raising the very low bottom bracket. However, if you are really looking into increasing travel, get the BETD like I did. You have several travel options with the highest setting being 5 inches!!!!!! Do the research and you decide like I did. The MSR is lighter if you are worried about weight though.

Similar Products Used: BETD FSR XC link. (my favorite, it rules!)
    KC   Cross Country Rider [Nov 10, 2001]
    Strength:

It really works and excellent parts quality.

Instructions are a little bit sketchy. Not something you want to do on a Saturday night with a few beers in you. Overpriced, but worth it if you are going to keep the old steed.

The difference in ride and handling is readily apparent. Definitely takes the wag of the rear end and adds some travel too. If you purchase it, get the bearing kit too. A lot of my plastic bushing were worn and split when I took them out.

Similar Products Used: none
    SCOTT SIMPSON   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2001]
    Strength:

SEALED BEARINGS, STIFFNESS, MORE TRAVEL

$$$$$

THE BIKE IS NOW A GROUND HUGGING MACHINE. THE TRACKING AND
    STIFFNESS IS AWESOME. GET THE REAR DROPOUT KIT WITH IT AND
    YOU'LL HAVE SEALED BEARINGS AT ALL THE PIVOTS. I WOULD
    RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO HAS A 99 OR 2000 FSR/XC.

Similar Products Used: STOCK LINK AND BUSHINGS (WHICH SUCKED)
    Tim   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2001]
    Strength:

Eliminates the looseness of the swingarm from side to side.
    Increased travel. Gets rid of the stiction.

Doesn't climb as well(Gets rid of the stiction caused by the bushings which helps transfer power while climbing). Have to buy dropout bearings separatly. Increases the leverage ratio of the shock. May have to increase air pressure. Rear end bobs when pedaling on a hard surface.

I didn't have any trouble with the install. Done in less than 30 minutes. You may need to lengthen the rear derailure cable but, I got lucky. No more side to side play of the swingarm. Greatly stiffens the back of the bike. Increased travel and smoother ride. Less maintenance.
    At this price the drop out bearings should be included in the kit.
    I went back to my original air pressure(body weight)and let the suspension work. Higher air pressure in the shock limits travel.

Similar Products Used: Stock
    Circumcised   Weekend Warrior [Aug 11, 2001]
    Strength:

Sealed bearings....Everything really, Tracking, NO MORE STICKTION! Smoother ride,

Come on now!

It took me almost a year of donating at the blood and sperm banks but it was well worth every ounce I pumped out. I even got to know the nurse very well at the sperm bank I went to, and now we're dating! 5 stars for that! Now my FSR rules, I don't know which one I want to ride more, my nurse or my bike! My bike would win most of the time, which really pisses my girl off. So now she rides with me. She bought a Sugar 1. I love the way it handles now, it soooo smooth and I can rocket down hills 2x as fast and not feel a bump. It's even better on the climbs as the rear tire would dig in, instead of breaking loose. Installation was a snap! Just read and follow the direction, took me about 1/2hour or so. I didn't need longer cables for the rear. But for the cable housing, you will need a longer one for the rear derailleur. You don't need to buy a longer one. All you need to do is trade places with the one connected to the rear shifter and you are set. Re-tune the rear derailleur and then go ride. You may need to add more air to the rear shock as well. This is a must have upgrade for FSR 99-00 accroding to Rolling Stone Magazine...Heehee. Shame on Specialized for not getting this right the 1st time. Double shame for them taking 2 more years to get it right. I due credit them for passing down the M4 frames to the Stumpy line in 2002 though. Now if you own a 99-00 FSR, if you have to do what I did to afford this upgrade, DO IT!