Mountain Speed FSR Bearing Kit Shock Upgrade

FSR Bearing Kit

• Replaces all existing bushings in the Specialized FSR rear linkage with high quality sealed needle bearings.
  • FSR Bearing Kit (all pivots) $159
  • FSR Bearing Kit (3 pivots) $129

• User Reviews (32)

Mike   [Oct 23, 2001]
    Strength:

good quality parts, easy to install,

none, so far!

For owners of '99 and '00 FSR's, you gotta have this bearing kit and the X Factor. BIG DIFFERENCE. The back ends of the FSR's are so wobbly. This made everything very tight and the back end nows goes up and down and not so much side to side.

A must have for owners of FSR's.

Similar Products Used: X Factor for FSR-XC Comp
    Craig   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2001]
    Strength:

Makes your FSR rear end swing as smooth as a baby's butt

1. Price (i upgrade because i am too poor to buy a new bike) 2. The instructions are crapola (need pictures) 3. Weight 4. Not sure about o'ring seals (look what happened to the space shuttle)

This kit is sweet. Made a night and day difference in the ride quality of my bike. 97' was the El Nino year here in California and it seemed to rain every day i rode, so my bushing quickly worn out. I was cleaning the pivots about every 4 month. After a while i was getting lazy and only cleaned it when the suspension stuck 1/2" from full extension.
    For the last 12 years i have worked in the service centers for a bike shop, a scuba shop, a scuba manufacturer, and an ambulatory holter heart monitor manufacturer. I have helped write repair manuals for new products so when i say the instructions could use some illustrations, it would do no harm for Mrp to add a clear picture.
    I should have weighed it first but this kit of 8 needle bearings and 6 hardened steel pivots is about 15 times heavier than the nylon and aluminum it replaces. The pivots could have easily been lightened with some minor cuts and it does not have the hex cuts on the inside so i am wondering how in the world i am going to disassemble this later.
    When i first rode the bike i just about went over the bars on the first big hit because i was relying on the the stiction for damping. After a few adjustments i was truly amazed at the ride quality.
    Bottom line this a must have part for your FSR and if you are waiting for someone else to make a lighter, cheaper kit with better instructions thats like me waiting to marry a super model, not going to happen.

Similar Products Used: There is nothing else like it
    Joe Martin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2001]
    Strength:

VERY smooth action on the rear of the bike. Quality parts. Great for anyone who wants to really ride a FS bike.

Instructions. I sure could have used some pictures.

This kit made my bike new again. I'm amazed at the difference!!! Part of the directions tell you to remove your rear shock and then manually move the rear of the bike up and down. It took 2 hands. After the upgrade the rear of the bike could be moved with one finger and when I let go it would fall. You can really feel it on the trails.

Similar Products Used: None
    Thomas (Feerider)   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2000]
    Strength:

Needle-bearings vice plastic bushings -- no brainer there!

Weighs more, but then it's like comparing riding a bike with a suspension fork vice riding a bike with a rigid fork. Something weighs more than nothing.

I'm the 10th Reviewer for this product, and I must say that these bearings are a MUST!!! The French guy either installed it improperly or simply just got that one-in-a-million lemon products.

I can't imagine why Specialized doesn't sell these stock on the bike. The alternative stock bushings are a JOKE!!

As for installation, the two non-wrench-turnin' people who said they were tough to install must be just plain stupid. These things were a breeze to install. Just READ and take your time. Any moron can install them.

As for the price, hey, it's worth it. There are only four alternatives: (1) whine and complain and ride your FSR with the sucky stock bushings. (2) buy an Intense Uzzi or Tracer (and oh by the way pay MORE as well), (3) stick to hardtails, or (4) stay a pedestrian.

These things are awesome!

Similar Products Used: Stock bushings
    Mark   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2000]
    Strength:

The bearing kit is awesome! What the FSR was meant to be!

Price...WOW!

Worth the money but...come on guys, hire a tech writer for eight hours and do something about those directions! I'm mechanically inclined and it still took me 4 hours! If you want to extend the life of your FSR...buy em!

Similar Products Used: FSR stock linkage.
    Rick   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2000]
    Strength:

Good after market upgrade for FSR's

Product support. The guy I emailed and called told me my 2000 Enduro had bushings and that I should upgrade (while I was buying a new rear spring). So I do. Find out 2000 enduros are FULL BEARINGS. Go to return it and I will be chared 15% restocking and out shipping both ways. Even though he admitted he didn't know about the bike itself to begin with. He just assumed it was bushings. That sucks.

If you have one of the FSR Enduros YOU DON'T NEED THIS KIT. No matter what the "tech" guy tells you.

Any other FSR, this is a must but customer service is where modern buisness is positioned. Mountain Speed screwed me on that.

Similar Products Used: Stock Enduro sealed Bearings
    Jon Clodfelter   Cross Country Rider [Apr 23, 2001]
    Strength:

Gets rid of all the slop in the FSR suspension

May wear out shock faster due to greater lever arm and required higher pressure (in my case)

I bought the X-Rated setup with the dropout bearings. Completely got rid of the rear end slop generated by worn out bushings after 700+ miles. This product is a must for anyone wanting to stiffen up the lateral movement of the rear FSR suspension. I am running about 20 psi higher in the standard Fox Float shock. I am 6'-2" and 210lbs and am running about 160psi, that gets me about the 0.4" of sag and a really good ride. I am using the stock geometry setup on the pivot. Make sure you have some extra cable housing around when you go to install, the rear brake and deraileur need about 1/2" extra.
    BUY IT!!!!

Similar Products Used: None
    gil cretney   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2001]
    Strength:

It works and it was pretty easy to install

I guess the price could be better.

I'm impressed with the tighter rear end action. Had to pump up the pressure in the shock. Also installed the drop out kit. Easy also. Basic tools, a piece of wood and a vice or c-clamp will realllly help. I'm a little confused about the extra travel. I have the stock Fox RC FLoat. I don't understand where the 90mm of new travel comes from compared to the stock 75mm. My wife has a 2001 Superlight and her Fox RC FLoat is a inch longer than the Specialized Stock Fox. Is that where the extra travel could be...if I installed a newer Fox? Would that screw up the geometry of the FSR? Still so many Questions. Any way , like the product and felt REALLY good about the installation (Hour).

Similar Products Used: none
    Esteban (steve)   Racer [Apr 04, 2001]
    Strength:

x-rated link and bushing upgrade.lateral stiffness silky smooth action, x-tra travel

the upgrade paid off imediately, raced Ringwood race #1 on april 1 2001 got first place sport class master.
    w/this kit and the wheel set i smoked the course and cleaned all technical sections and if you know Ringwood NJ. you know this place is no joke!!
    Drop out link on back order.

Similar Products Used: none
    Mel S.   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2001]
    Strength:

Immediate noticable feel in suspension performance; increases FSR's rear travel; makes your bike look sweet!

A bit expensive; instructions aren't that detailed.

I love my bike even more with this upgrade and can't wait 'til my next ride! It took me awhile to put it together and figure out the instructions (they weren't that hard to figure out, but I'm a novice mechanic), but after installing everything the bike felt immediately smoother. You'll notice alot of stiction in the drop-out area with the stock bushings. My bike rocks even more on the trail and looks alot cooler! 1-chili off for being a bit expensive, but I would recommend this product if you own an FSR.

Similar Products Used: Stock FSR linkage.