Manitou Spring Kits Shock Upgrade

Spring Kits

Spring kits are available for all Magnum, SX, MARS and X-Vert forks. Spring kit prices vary from $12 to $20.

Dennis Romano   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2001]
Strength:

Relatively easy to install. Immediate riding improvement. Original spring was to light for me. I weigh 220 lbs. The ride improvements were tracking, no bottoming out and no stacking. Another important benefit was during heavy braking on descents the shock did not nose dive ( no endo ).

Hard to get the kits. Seems like everyone is buying them. I waited for four weeks to get it from Answer.

This upgrade provide real instant ride improvements with low cost and easy installation. I recommend calling the tech line instead of using the web ordering system. They have just moved into a new building and the service was very good.

Brian   Cross Country Rider [Sep 05, 2001]
Strength:

Easy to change yourself. At 230 pounds the stock springs were too soft. It is better to change out the springs than the preload and conmpression dampening.

Make the change if you are heavy or light rider (ie not 150-170 lbs)

Hector   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 2003]
Strength:

It works.

None yet.

I borrowed a friends Specialized Rock Hopper for a couple of months. Bike was equipped with Manitou Super Six forks. I immediately noticed the forks were too doughy. I weigh 205 lbs. Checked out this site and found many people with a similar complaint. Was told by a few bike shops that a firm ride spring kit was unavailable. E-mailed Answer products and they responded quickly with a firm ride kit reference # 85-4828. Returned my buddies Specialized and purchased a 2002 Trek 6500 similarily equipped in my price range. Had the firm ride spring kit installed immediately. Huge improvement.
I intend to get a fork compression lock out next.
Hopefully Manitou will offer a remote control compression lock out in the near future. I know they have one available that you flick the control on the fork......pain in the ass.
Would be great for climbing hills and daily commuting.

Similar Products Used: None
Thom   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2001]
Strength:

They work great, making a mooooshy fork much better for my size. If you're outside the normal range for the stock spring, changing the air pressure won't make it stiffer. Take the plunge, and get the spring that's right. The fork is much better with the right spring stiffness.

They proved way too difficult to find; maddeningly so.

The shock works great, and works SO much better with the proper spring. But, it was an ordeal to accomplish this. Hopefully my eventual success in finding one will give you the "secret-handshake" to actually GET the right spring.

Being a larger (220lbs) rider, I needed a firmer shock than the stock red spring. The bike shop tried to find the black or yellow springs, but was unable to. I called Answer products, and they had none.

Here's the real bottom line: if you can't get the springs, check with the service department, and see if they have one in their fork repair kit. Answer sells this repair kit with tons of shock springs. The one I saw looked like it had one of each firmness for each type of fork.

I went to a downhill-specific shop, and none of their other customers had ever brought in a Mars fork for service (too little travel for their normal customers). So, their repair kit had the springs I needed.

My guess is that Answer is (unconsciously?) working with the shops to bring in money on service. I could be wrong, but here's how it seems to have worked. You need a firmer spring, and you can turn a wrench with sufficient skill that you could change the spring yourself. You order the spring, expecting it to cost a very affordable US$14, but the shop can't find one anywhere. No distributors, not even Answer have any in stock. What to do? My shop said "uh, wait till they make some more?" Yeah right. A one week old bike and it can't be tuned so it rides properly.

Finally, in desperation, you bring the bike in to a mechanic to do the work for you. Lo and behold, they have a spring right there in the repair kit, change it for you, and charge US$30 for the labor, and the US$14 for the part.

That might not be the intent of Answer's manufacturing planning, but if it isn't, then what's the real story?

Similar Products Used: none-the fork came on the bike, the springs had to be tracked down.
Hawk   Weekend Warrior [Apr 30, 2002]
Strength:

Greatly improves the shock performance.

None noted to date.

I weigh about 200 lbs. Shock was easily and regularly bottoming. I am just a beginner but read the web postings about the spring upgrade. Got the extra firm weight. This upgrade really improved the bike ride and performance. Do it. Cheap. Easy install. LBS ordered the spring. Had no problem. Saw the LBS mgr. make the phone call. The LBS mailed the spring to me. Spring comes with simple but effective instruction sheet for the installation.

Similar Products Used: None
DeBlois Louis   Downhiller [Apr 25, 2002]
Strength:

Easy to install, economically priced.

The tracer was built up with this fork and it was so soft I immediately realized I was going to HAVE to buy something else. Peadaling Perry from Joes put the firm ride spring and elastomer kit as a last ditch attempt. I weigh 180 and like to jump. In stock form the fork was definitely (Mani-poo). The firm ride kit was night and day difference! Totally different feel but still somewhat plush. The problem then was that the fork would rebound too fast and could not be externally adjusted as Answer ships the fork with micky mouse 5 weight fluid in the right side leg. I later installed 10 weight fluid to slow the rebound down and the external adjusters now are useable as opposed to an extreme side of their adjustment range. I recomend this upgrade from the start to anyone over 140 lbs or who rides aggresively. The fluid change from 5w to 7w or 10w is also a must! This procedure woke my fork up but I wish the fork industry would start to build product with spring rates and settings with someone other than 140lb riders in mind. Almost every fork these days has to be upgraded from the start if any kind of freeriding is involved.