Hippie-Tech Rear Suspension Service Shock Upgrade

Rear Suspension Service

Jim-Beau   [Jun 12, 2014]
Strength:

He does KNOW what he is doing!

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE of any business in the U.S.A. Do not expect to get any response back either by email or by phone. He just doesn't care. He should stop being a Hippie and be more of a professional OR just be a Hippie and stop all business activity!

Do your research, there a several businesses out there who service forks.shocks who VALUE you as a customer. Got to them you will be much happier.

Nate   [Jun 02, 2013]
Strength:

Best in the world, possibly the only one who will tackle some tough projects.

communication.

Let me try and summarize my experience with Jerry (hippie tech owner/operator/mechanic/biller/shipper/customer service) I think you get the idea. As was mentioned in previous post HE IS A ONE MAN SHOP. He told me he is doing around 500 shocks a year. He also rides & races as often as he can. Knowing all this I still chose to have him work on my shock.
He is tough to get in contact with however he does reply. I was told 3 weeks to fix and I sent my shock off the next day.
1. I heard nothing for 8 days that he received my shock, it was in process.....nothing.
2. Once we connected he told me I was "inline" for an initial diagnosis and would get back to me.
3. 4 weeks in I am finally hearing from him that it's a TOTAL rebuild. I agree on the price (which is still better then getting a new shock)
4. I paid him immediately over the phone and was told 4-6 days I should have my shock.
5. 2 weeks passed and I just received my shock yesterday in the mail.

total time from sending my shock was 8 weeks.

Overall Jerry is just another hard working guy who like the rest of us wants to ride and enjoy the riding season when he can. I am very pleased with his work. Wished he could find a way to communicate better but again he is working on 500 of these shocks that's a full time job alone.

Thanks Jerry for everything.

JPII   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2013]
Strength:

Knows MB Suspensions, Excellent repairs

Communication could be better

I feel compelled to write a contempory review given I use this forum alot for information and the negitive reviews about Hippietech.

I found out about Hippietech from Push Suspension and MTB Suspension experts after they said they did not want to repair or did not have the parts to repair a my rear and front shocks. I called and did not geta return call for a couple of days. Since I happen to live in Boise, I then took my shocks down to Hippietech. A couple details about Hippietech.

1) It is a one man shop, The owner does the work.
2) He rides bigtime (races, etc)- Mostly downhill.
3) He has worked on the assembly floor and in R&D in RockShox in the past. He really does know alot about suspensions. (I do too from my past motorsports racing.)
4) He is an accomplished bike mechanic.
5) The shop is immaculate.
6) The parts inventory is staggering.

He had about 100 shocks to be repaired cafefully labelled on the recieving end and about 5 shocks packed ready to go back out the day I came in.

He looked at the shocks I brought in from a 2000 Suger 1 and within 5 seconds told me what type of bike they had come off because of the unique bushing on the rear shock. He told me about the rebuild potential and the possible issues unique to my shocks. We also talked about the value of rebuilding verses replacing with current technology. After that discusion I decided to repair the shocks. He also can valve the shocks to optimize it for your weight and riding. He told me it would take about 3 weeks to repair the shocks and would look at them in about two weeks and give me a call. I was pleased that I had found him. Then I read the reviews of Hippietech and my enthusiasm evaporated. I was thinking I'm done and might as well start saving for a new bike and my summer was toast! I called Hippietech back in 1.5 weeks and no answer and left a message. Four days later Jerry called me back and told me the issues with my shocks and exactly how much it would cost. Two weeks and 4 days he called back to tell me they were done.

The shocks look brand new except for a few scatches that I had previously there. Assembled my bike and rode some fast single track, technical up and down hills. The bike has never been this good! It was totally hooked up.

So I'm not to trying to invalidate any of the previuosly negative reviews but I have had a good expirence. If my shocks should fail I will update my post. I am taking 2 more shocks to be serviced to him.

nowaay@hotmail.com   [Dec 09, 2012]
Strength:

Fork worked fine when I finally got it back

Communication, professionalism

For an absolute fact this guy will take your fork or shock and keep it until he is ready to return it. No amount of calling, emailing, voice mailing, tweeting, or smoke signaling will get this guy to respond. He kept mine for months and I really thought I was screwed until it just arrived one day. If your fine with not riding for months and not receiving any communication from your service provider, then by all means send this guy your suspension. Every time I look at my ride I thank my lucky stars I got the fork back and it worked. Not a good experience. I think you would only want to deal with the hippie if you are local and can just drive to the shop and get your parts back when you've had enough.

Colin   [Jul 14, 2012]
Strength:

None.

Shoddy work, untrustworthy.

2 rear shocks from him failed. He would not return my calls, pay return postage, return my original shock, got angry after I threatened legal action, promised to reimburse my card ASAP, and did not. I have now involved my card company. He is either lazy, stoned, irresponsible or fraudulent. Steer clear.

N8R T8R   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2011]
Strength:

Wish I could test it to tell you. I have seriously considered parting out my bike to get one that has a fork on it, as hippie tech has had mine for over a month. After reading of the guy who didnt get his for 2.5 month i am really concerned.

Very little communication and of what there is seems like flimsey excuses and lies. FIND SOME ONE ELSE!!! Or buy a new fork or shock. I wish I had.

How do companies like this stay in biz when there are skilled workers who are good communicators and cannot find work. Dont send these guys your parts or your money. I wish i had read these reviews before i sent mine. My work is paid for and I just keep getting excuses. I would like to give a much lower score than allowed here.

jayjroy   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2011]
Strength:

NONE

AVOID THIS GUY!!! I wish I read reviews about this company before I shipped them my fork. I'm afraid to do a dispute because I'll probably not get my fork back at all! I've been waiting for 2.5 months for my fork. This guy has every excuse in the book as to why it's not ready. Of course, he charged my credit card a while ago (when he said it was done and already shipped back to me). Oh wait, UPS lost the package and it was sent back to him damaged and now he needs to repair it again... Lame excuses from a lame stoner. Forget this guy, find someone else!

F-this dude. Go somewhere else. He might do go work like other people say... but he's unreliable. Be prepared to get charged quickly and then wait months for your fork.

DC13   Racer [Feb 03, 2011]
Strength:

Feels amazing as if it was brand new.

Did take a little long for a return but I know it is worth it.

Have been to his shop when I used to live in Boise so I knew that it would take some time to get my fork back because he him only self works on about 30forks a week, with that being said to me its worth the wait. Because I know that if something happens to it (does not feel right) I can send it back and he will fix it and not charge. Because of how many forks he fixes it does take some time to get a hold of him.
To me it is worth the time in the shop because this thing feels so nice. Only person I will have work on any of my shocks.

MrWizzard   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2010]
Strength:

Recommended by local bike shop

I sent a request for quote nearly two weeks ago and haven't heard back. After reading the other reviews, however, at least now I won't take it personally.

No one answers the phone
No one answers e-mail
I am not impressed

JaybirdKS   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2010]
Strength:

Supposedly is good at fork rebuilds. Very knowledgeable on the phone

Called on the phone to discuss fork rebuild. Told to send the fork in with all my rider and bike specs. They would call with an estimate. After 3 weeks from sending fork had not received a response. After multiple voice mails and emails, finally was told that they were having "Issues" (?) with Fox, but would get back to me on my fork the next day. 3 weeks later, after never receiving a response, got an email saying they were having Fox issues. Said they would have a response from Fox next day. 10 days later my fork shows up at my house, BUT it was not rebuilt. Have left VM's and emails, but still no response. I wasted 2 months plus outbound shipping cost, and have nothing to show for it.

Customer service and response are severely lacking. Not sure what is going on up there, but regardless of the quality of the work, if they can't do the work then they shouldn't be telling you to send in your fork. Waste of time and money.
Their website is still advertising that they do Fox work, but mine didn't get done.