Hippie-Tech Fork Suspension Service Shock Upgrade

Hippie-Tech Fork Suspension Service Shock Upgrade

[Jan 15, 2015]
Michael Thomas

Strength:

Successfuly reapired a older SID Dual Air fork several other vendors declined to service (said they could not get parts), fork came back updated and improved.

Turn around time was around a month - no worst then some "major" reapir outfits, however.

After reading these review, I felt like I was dropping a penny in the Wishing Well, but after discussing the required repairs with Jerry Vanderpool I dropped my SID Dual Air in the mail and said a prayer.

Got a follow-up call about a week later, agreed on the work and price, passed along my CC number and said another prayer.

TYhe ship date skipped twice, but the fork DID need a LOT of part, Jerry DID send along progress reports every time he missed a ship date, and the the Fork shipped backs to me with a total turn around time of around a month, which is no worse than several other major repair outfits I’ve dealt with for extensive repairs of older forks when parts were needed.

As for the work, and Jerry performed some useful upgrades. and after a quick ride the quality of the work appears excellent . At the moment it’s around 6F, so it will be a while until the fork gets a real workout, I’ll report back on longer-term durability next summer.

Based on my experience, I suspect that Jerry’s turn around time may depend a lot on the season: he’s a one-man shop, and if he is out riding, repair work is going to wait. I’ll be sending him additional forks, but only in the early winter.

[Feb 21, 2013]
Eric Wiener

Strength:

Clever, misleading sales tactics and ability to sleep knowing how many people are disappointed for being lied to and $ taken from.

Everything but listed in 'strengths'. This guy has lied to me over and over, had my fork since last November. Says he shipped it February 7, 2013. Never given me a good excuse for the delay and the website's email bounces. Only voicemail is what you get when you dial the company number. USPS only says Electronic shipping info received, on Feb. 7, but has since I've been checking it, doesn't appear that it was ever shipped, just shipping was 'arranged' for my fork.
If anyone knows how to get a class action going, I'm all in.

The guy is scum. Preying on people who trusted him. I was referred to these guys by a local shop, saying they were all that and the only ones that had parts to rebuild obsolete forks. Guess I should have read about them first.

[Jan 01, 2012]
Nate

Strength:

ZIPOOOO ... Avoid Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension

Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension lie lie lie. yea we switched ware houses ... it cought on fire ... lost in shipping, got returned damaged yea im making it better than ever you just wait. And so you will be doing a lot of that if you use this clown. How do people like this stay in business when there are talented honest people ready to work. Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension sent me a totally different fork than the one I sent but it was unridable because of the damaged axel. he finally stopped communicating w/ me and refused to make it right. I am still trying to get refunded for the piece of crap he sent me ... Dont walk - run from any dealings w/ Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension

Do NOT use Jerry Vanderpool and Hippie tech Suspension. Buy a new fork or shock.

[Nov 22, 2011]
Brad M.

Strength:

Price paid, product received - fits my needs perfectly!

Took 5 months to receive my fork

Despite the 5 month delay due to a fire in the warehouse row where his shop was, my fork getting lost in the mail once.....??? The fork I finally received is awesome! Jerry tuned the fork based on info I gave him about my riding style, body weight and the bike I intended to use it on. I've made no adjustments to it since receiving it, only hooking my pump to it so I could record the base pressures as set by him. The bike is an absolute rocket and flows like a dream over single track!

I had previously used Hippietech services back in 2007, receiving back a completely transformed Rockshox SID with only 3 weeks turnaround time. That fork was the best performing fork I've ever had. I expect my new Psylo to be no different.

Given my previous experience, the 5 month wait was very disappointing to say the least! I sent my trade-in to him in mid April and fully expected to be riding my new fork all summer long. As it turned out, I didn't get my new fork until September.

Whatever has been going on personally and professionally with Hippietech/Jerry Vanderpool, I hope it's finally resolved. When all goes as it should, the service he provides can't be beat! I hope to take advantage of the highly skilled services this shop offers again in the future.

Fox, Manitou, many Rockshox SIDs...

[Nov 03, 2011]
alamos

Strength:

I let you know if I ever see it!

The fact that a promised and PAID for service never seems to happen! Some say this Jerry guy can actually fix suspension forks, but from my point of view, I think most of the forks sent to him sit around and wait for him to ever get off his A$$ and do the work! He has had my fork for 4 months and still no sign of it. He claims all sorts of things have held him up, but I think the truth is more that he is a flake! Unfortunately he has my 1" Judy that is very improtant for my 1" headtube Ritchey, and lord knows if I could ever find another one! At this point I would just like to get my fork back and I'll let the credit card company deal with him. From the looks of other reviews maybe we could get together a class action suit against this guy, seems like there may be no end to the number of disgruntled customers!
I worked in the Bike Business for 15 years organizing the operations and equipment for a major bike touring company, in my work I dealt with dozens of venders all over the world and not once did I ever experience anyone as unreliable as Jerry Vanderpool from Hippie Tech Suspensions.
Buyer beware with this guy he does not care about his customers at all!

I want my fork back and Jerry to do more riding and less business. I think this guy may have riden without a helmet a few too many times!

[Oct 13, 2011]
kremer5

Terrible customer service. my shocks have been at thier shop for 0ver 20 weeks. Paid $160 months ago. Still no shocks. Keeps telling me its gonna be next week, ben telling me this for over 10 weeks now. STILL NO SHOCKS!!!

I am on the verge of reporting them stolen

[Aug 15, 2011]
Dan

Strength:

Horrible Service

Horrible Service

This guy is a total scam. Dosen't return your calls or emails. I had to hire someone off Craigslist to go over there and rattle his cage. Only a fool would send their forks there after reading my review and others on this site. I got my forks back finally and my lockout dosent even work.

[Aug 14, 2011]
jayjroy

I SO WISH I READ THESE REVIEWS BEFORE SENDING THIS A-HOLE MY SHOCK.

On the phone is a cool guy to talk to, but he's just missing a few screws. He charges you quick and then holds your fork for ever. I've been waiting 2.5 months! Every time I talk to him, he's just about finished and he's shipping it back tomorrow. "Tomorrow" was 2.25 months ago!!

Do not use this guy to service your equipment. DO NOT!!! Don't let anyone tell you this guy does good work or has been in business for a long time. Even if the two items above WERE true, that was in the past, he is no longer running the business well and you will be fuct!

[Jun 10, 2011]
dg

I am in the middle of dealing with him(owner of Hippie Tech) for repairing a Rock Shox Sid Race fork. This was a brand new fork mounted on an Intense Tracer bike that I built 5 years ago and has never been ridden other than a 1-mile test ride(built it for my son who is almost tall enough to ride it now). Unfortunately the fork leaked out the fluid. I sent it to Hippie Tech Suspension and has been one excuse after another. I am considering legal options.

[Feb 18, 2011]
JNob

Everything is weak.

DO NOT do business with Hippie Tech Suspension. After telling me that my Rock Shox SID could not be repaired but he could build me a new one from scratch because he was an Authorized Rock Shox service center, I sent him $350. Two months and dozens of e-mails and phone calls later, I still have nothing. He sent me the wrong fork once, which I returned in early January. Since then I have gotten a couple of patronizing e-mails that he was issuing a credit, which never appeared, then another that he was going to have to send me a money order for my refund, which also never appeared. Jerry Vanderpool is the most unprofessional and dishonest person I have dealt with in my 25+ years of riding. If I could give him a rating of 0 I would. Stay away. The SRAM customer service number can recommend reputable repair centers. I wish I had called them first.