Hevn Racing Components Superstruts Shock Upgrade

Hevn Racing Components Superstruts Shock Upgrade

Hevn Racing Components Superstruts

[Dec 30, 1999]
Mike Pardini

Strength:

Please read earlier reviews

Hello Fellow Mountainbikers:My name is Mike, and I designed and marketed the SuperStruts, along with the help of many others. This page is for reveiws only, but it is also my only way to say thanks to my customers. So I am going to stick my neck out...I first have to announce that HEVN Racing is no longer manufacturing the SuperStruts. I do have about 10 sets left if anyone would like to buy them before they are gone for good. 408-255-8644.I would like to say thank you to every person who bought the SuperStruts and especialy each of you who gave us a review. You each have helped us in our marketing effort and have given the SuperStruts the highest review for 2 years.My background (If anyone cares): I used to work for RockShox and had so much fun I developed an entirely new approach to suspension damping. Unfortunately, the cost to manufacture the SuperStruts Damping polymer is very expensive and made distributing them almost impossible except through direct sales. Every SuperStrut and advertising effort was financed by credit card. So basily, HEVN Racing represents every mountainbiker out on the trail who ever said I could design a part or a bike better than that! HEVN Racing has been a lot of fun, even more hard work. Its been a thrill to see all the enthusiastic reveiws on MTBR and that is our reward. Sucess is not measured in dollars, though it is easy to forget here in Silicon Valley. Thank you, each of you, for taking the time to call and talk with us. Thank you MTBR.com (Francis) for being such a huge part of our marketing effort and PR. Thank you John, Jeff and Ed for your involvement in HEVN Racing. Ride Hard, Take Chances!
Michael Pardini

[Jul 21, 1999]
GREG
Cross-Country Rider

I PURCHASED THE BASE STUMPJUMPER BECAUSE I WANTED TO SETUP THE BIKE TO SUIT ME AND THE TERRAIN I RIDE. AFTER THE TIRES I CONSIDERED CHANGING OUT THE JUDY T2 FORK BECAUSE IT WOULD POGO WHEN THE TRAIL GOT ROUGH. I HAD MY EYE ON THE MARZOCCHI ATOMB BOMB OR Z2 BAM BECAUSE OF THEIR RIDE QUALITY AND STRENGTH, BUT BEFORE I DROPPED THE CASH I DECIDED TO TRY A SPRING AND DAMPER CARTRIDGE TO IMPROVE THE T2. I LOOKED INTO EVERY SPRING AND DAMPER I COULD FIND AND DECIDED THAT 1. THE SUPER STRUTS WERE THE EASIEST TO INSTALL AND SERVICE, 2. APPEARED DURABLE (NO CART TO REPLACE) AND 3. OFFERED SOME AMOUNT OF COMPRESSION AND REBOUND DAMPING. SO FAR ALL I CAN SAY ARE GOOD THINGS ABOUT ITS PERFORMANCE. IT WORKS GOOD ON THE STUTTER BUMPS AND MEDIUM DROPOFFS WHICH I RIDE HERE IN MICHIGAN. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THE SUPER STRUTS HAVE GIVEN MY T2 FORK A SMOOTHER RIDE AND BETTER HANDLING BECAUSE OF THE CONTROLLED FRONT END. NOW I DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE FRONT END BECAUSE THE FORK IS WORKING SO WELL THIS TELLS ME THAT THEY ARE DOING THERE JOB. GOTTA GO BECAUSE IM ON CO. TIME

MANITOU FS
JUDY XC

[Apr 02, 1999]
Stu
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

An effective no-maintenance upgrade.
A noticable improvement.
Local guys make this great product.

Expensive $119, but cheaper than SID. Less vicious too!

The cost kept me from getting these right away, but they are 5 x's less than a new top of the line fork.
Considering the simplicity and ability to utilize a very light weight fork (manitou magmnum aprox. 3 lbs) it was worth it.
Performance wise, it is noticable immediately. I am able to run less pre-load without bottoming out. So the ripples are less harsh and there is little to no packing up.
Big hits are big hits and without 5-6 inches of travel I'm sure all forks give you a jolt. But my trusty zip tie is telling me that I haven't bottomed out in a while, despite some pretty hard drops.
I like the simplicity thing. Just load them in and rock & roll. This is a A+++++ upgrade for owners of older manitous (ie. Comp, Magnum, M series)
Great product guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TPC in a Manitou SX Ti., Air/Oil in my old Mag 20. Elastomers in the original Manitou Magnum.

[Sep 17, 1998]
Dan Rauker
weekend warrior

Bought the yellow superstruts in August 97, put them in some old 21Rs and wow, what a difference! Over a year later and no problems, hope the rest of fork holds up as well. It's a great, inexpensive upgrade that require virtually no upkeep. Call Mike at Hevn and give them a try,you'll be pleased!

[Oct 29, 1997]
Todd Allens
cross-country rider

I put these things in my Indy and they feel great. Some of you other guys think these are expensive. For the ride I'm getting, I don't think they are at all. I called up their office and talked to a fellow named Mike. He explained how they work. It seems that others out there are mistaken. They are not springs coated in rubber. The way I understand it, they are springs with a special polymer material that Hevn has had developed. This polymer makes for the plush feel and damping. Mike told me they will be reviewed in some magazines soon, so for those of you who rely on that stuff, look forward to it. I'm sold on them, just from my last two rides.
These guys are cool too. They are sending me free decals of their cool wing logo.
That's my two cents.

[Oct 29, 1997]
dave
weekend warrior

follow up to post below:-
What do you think rubber is if it isnt a polymer? Just 'cos marketing
men give stuff fancy technical names doesnt mean shit. Oakleys plutonite
is just the same polycarbonate that 50cent sunglasses are made of.
Thermoplastic is just a plastic, and special low density polymer with
damping characteristics is a pretty accurate discription of rubber.
Ive already praised these products, I just the previous poster needs to
wise up and turn up his bullshit detector.

[Oct 21, 1997]
Brian Serl
weekend warrior

I weigh 160 and bought the reds because I wanted a plusher ride. I probably would of been better off with the yellows. They are expensive for what they are made of. They are, however, a dramatic improvement over the elastomer that came in my Quadra 5's. But don't kid yourself. They will not make the fork perform like a Z2 bomber which is what I have now. (Anyone what to buy a pair of red Superstruts.) They do get it about halfway there though. The short comings are still a lack of travel, fork action and tunability. I would definetly recommend this upgrade for those on a budget. After the first ride you will realize how silly a solid piece of rubber inside a shock tube is for suspension. Springs work so much better.
The price makes it hard to give it 5 stars. But I will anyway

[Mar 27, 1999]
Marjan
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Very plush, improves performance, zero maintenance!!!

The best upgrade, I've used it for a year and it works like at the begining! BUT I AM GETTING A NEW BIKE, SO I AM SELLING THE YELLOW SUPER STRUTS FOR US$ 50 INCLUDING P&P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MCUs

[Mar 08, 1999]
Matt
cross-country rider

I have not tried this product, but I did request and receive a brochure about them. Although the product is a great idea, I think the price is way too high for what you get. Here is what I am wondering: I already have modifid an old quadra fork by adding a hardware store spring (3 inch spring) and a small piece of manitou elastomer. I wonder if I could make a similar device myself. How hard could it be? Does anyone know if elastomers can be melted down? Would they retain their shock absorbing properties once they cooled down? What about a rubberized tape? Maybe heat-shrink tape? Any ideas out there? I am going to try and make my own struts thingies with springs coated in urethane... It will make a fun project...Certainly more fun AND economical than buying this overpriced product....

[Oct 12, 1998]
Miles
racer

After trying the original MCU's, Judd springs, and Enlugnd Total Air cartridges, I finally settled on Hevn Racing Super Struts last year for my tricked out Judy FSX. They have outperformed everything else: they are more active and responsive than MCU's while not being as annoyingly bouncy as straight springs. I think they have a better feel than Englunds, and are definately more realiable. Considering you don't need to use the oil damper with Super Struts, the weight comes out much less than springs, closer to Englunds. I weigh 165, and the red springs are a little softer than I was used to, but I quickly grew accustomed to the feeling, and enjoy the responsiveness to bumps and dips of all sizes. They're not the cheapest, but can make a $250 dollar fork feel like one that costs twice as much, or a $350 fork perform like it should. My Judy feels so good I haven't really felt the need to buy into all the latest and greatest forks that have come out over the past two years. A great investment.