Dirtworks Progressive Springs Shock Upgrade

Dirtworks Progressive Springs

[May 23, 1998]
Brian
weekend warrior

These are GREAT! I got mine from Biek World for only $39. These make such an unbelievable difference to Judy XC. I put in the firm springs (I am 195#) and they are so supple. They really soak up the bumps better than the stock setup. I set the preload to 1/4 and am experimenting with the dampening cartridge but I love 'em just the way they are. Get some!

[Oct 29, 1999]
Hammy

Strength:

Great Response over all things

must use with fork that has damper, otherwise, pogo

Great upgrade. Being a bit on the heavier side for cyclists (225), I would blow through the travel on my Judy on any big hit. Since it has been in the control has been great and I rarely bottom out. And since I am going to school in utah, the ride at moab is now sweeter and smoother. Yah baby yah

Englund Air

[Oct 08, 1999]
Alan
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Makes the Manitou X-vert shock feel better on large drops and on insane technical terrain.
Easy to install.

Not very plush on medium size roots and rocks.

I think this is a must do upgrade for the manitou shocks. I think the stock coil and MCU combo springs in these forks are great for easy to moderate trails, but when things go vertical, steep and rooty the stock springs are too soft. On difficult trails the braking action uses up over half the travel (even with proper sag is set up) thus when you need the travel to keep rolling over large roots you dont have enough left. The Dirtwork Dual Rate springs (medium) are plush in the first inch of travel so small fast bumps are well absorbed. The rest of the travel (3/4) is very firm compared to the stock manitou springs. This is great for downhill technical runs, but not so great on the easier roots or rocks as it is not very plush. I find that up hill technical climbs (which I love) are more difficult as the fork is not compliant on 3to6 roots any more as compared to the very plush stock springs. I have compensated on the easier trails by popping up my front end more instead of relying on the fork so much. I highly recommend this upgrade if you are into difficult terrain and want extra endo protection on rooty/bumpy downhill singletrack. I found that I had to change the oil from 5 (stock) to 10w for the spring to work well.

[Sep 15, 1999]
Rob Cullen

Strength:

Loads more travel and better feel
Install anyone could manage

Err......

I just fitted the standard DW springs to my old Quadra 10s and now I have new forks! Twice the travel and much more feel. An excellent new lease of life to old tech.

Stock Elastomers

[Sep 09, 1999]
CC Rider
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Easy to install
Cheap to buy
Built to last

Update to earlier post. Have received the dual spring kit for my X-Vert and love what it does for my fork performance. We had a little issue with compatability, but David at Dirt Works helped me out. I ride the firm kit, and it helps both the ride and control of my bike. 5 hot peppers for the upgrade.

Other Dirt Works products

[Aug 18, 1999]
jeff
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

easy to install
inexpensive
works as advertised

I didn't like the bone-jarring feel of the elastomers in the Judy T2 on downhill washboard. I was planning on upgrading with the Rockshox kit, but found the Dirtworks kit at 1/2 the price of Rockshox. Installed it in 20 minutes and the feel is noticably better. I'm riding downhill sections faster with the upgraded shock. Well worth the $34 (bikeworld.com).

[Jul 12, 1999]
Jb
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

ultra sensitive oooooh so plush

oooooh these are great. they make my shock oh so sensitive soaking up every little root so you can go so very fast and not worry about little obstacals... set them up w/ 10 w. oil in the tpc damper (a must over 5 w. as the spring makes the fork so much more active... open the damper up with 10 w.) this is for the tpc spring on 98 and newer forks you must get this spring it is wonderful and only 29.95.

stock mcu/spring

[Jun 03, 1999]
CC Rider
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Simple upgrade

Did not like the response of my '97 Manitou FS (MCU/Spring) set-up, so I tried some Dirt Works springs (Phat Tire in Dallas, TX recommended firm, dual rate springs for my 205 - 210 weight). I really liked the way they changed the fork. A lot more lively and handled both small and big hits with ease. I just bought (installed yesterday) a '98 Manitou X-Vert for my Giant Full uspension frame, and ordered a new spring for that fork! 5 hot flaming chili peppers for the group out of Texas!

[Mar 02, 1999]
Snap
racer

The Dirtworks Springs brought a new life to my 97 Manitou SX Ti. Plush yet firm when it really counts. I guess that's the progressive spring feel. Spent $45 on the springs versus big bucks for a new fork, a good deal. I dock Dirtworks 1 chili on the install because I had to shave down the Dirtworks end pieces and file the springs some to get them to fit in the preload caps of the Manitou, but after a few minutes of preload adjustments I was rockin'.

[Feb 11, 1999]
Dave D
weekend warrior

Dirt Work's spring upgrade's are awesome! I just installed in my 97 Manitou SX,and it worked great! It fit in nice and came with all the hardware to install it. Anyone looking for a good spring upgrade go with Dirt Work's!