Answer Lok Out Fork Lockout Shock Upgrade

Lok Out Fork Lockout

Answer Lok Out Fork Lockout

tim keating   Racer [Nov 01, 2000]
Strength:

locks out fork for climbs and smooth singletrack/road

takes away external compression adjustment
not total lockout
must get exact oil level for lockout to work

this unit is great for racers and road rides. the fork does not totally lockout, wich is not all that bad. depending on how much oil you put in, you can still get some movement from your fork . this is great for smooth trail or dirt roads. it leaves just enough movement to smooth out your ride without losing too much energy. just have a proffesional mechanic install this for you. or be ready to buy fork oil and new seals for the lockout when you break the originals installing it yourself. they are very delicate!

Similar Products Used: none
David   Racer [Jun 24, 2000]
Strength:

-Cuts out the majority of the fork travel
-Makes for very efficient climbing, and riding on flats, or road.

-Does not eliminate travel.
-Most likely not a do-it-yourself job

I am very pleased. Although it would be nice to be able to completely lock the fork out, the Manitou Lok-Out kit does close enough of a job. I have found that if you hold the fork down in its travel, and then lock it out, you will see the best results.

I tryed to install it myself, thinking it would be no problem since I knew the basics to overhauling the fork, but I was wrong. It looked okay when I got it all in place, but it didn't work at all. Took it to my local bike shop, and after a couple of trys, they (Eric at Hutch's) had all of the damage I had done corrected and the fork working smoother than ever.

If you substitute a road bike by puting slicks on your mountain bike like myself, the Manitou Lok-Out is a must have. And likewise, if you race frequently, do yourself a favor and pick up one of these kits for the climbs. You can really notice the difference.

Similar Products Used: None, although a person on my team is loving his Head Shok lock out, which completely locks the fork out.
Ed   Cross Country Rider [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

Ease of use.

Requires professional mechanic for installation.

For what it is supposed to do, I think this product works great. With a flip of a lever, you can activate or deactivate your front fork. Although I have used it only for a limited time, I have had no problems with it at all. I bought this product because I am using my mtn bike for road as well. Climbing standing on road definitely requires a stiff front fork. For off-road riding, I usually climb seated on dirt anyways so I can't say it makes a huge difference. One downside is the fact that you have to be an accomplished mechanic to install it. It adds $30-50 at the local shop. I would give this product 4 flaming chili's because of this added cost, but since the guy below me has given an overly harsh review, I'll balance it out with a 5.

Similar Products Used: none
brad   Cross Country Rider [Apr 12, 2000]
Strength:

does exactly what it's supposed to do, easy to access

none found

i'm like the guy below...as much road riding as off road. centuries and doubles with lots of vertical require some out of the saddle time to save my back. this truly stops the "bobbing", which surely adds to efficiency. my LBS mechanic (bob at funsports) had absoutely zero problems getting the correct oil level in my '99 sxr or my wife's '99 sx carbon. ironically, i feel i can climb 1 gear higher off road with this (probably because i have the soft elastomer/spring kit to give a plush ride). i just need to remember to flip the shock back "on" at the top.

Winslow   Racer [Sep 29, 1999]
Strength:

Good concept. Good internal design.

Weak plastic cap, oil level has to be very exact, so far I've tried 6 different times to get the correct amount of oil in the fork only to have the lok-out not work or work and not turn off for a while.

A good design but requires to exact of oil levels. Instead of getting it and hassling with it just save your money for a White Bros or Marzocchi fork.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale lockout
Jambo   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 09, 1999]

Just tested it once. Planning to buy it because it seems pretty nice to hav the opportunity to make your Manitou stiff. Especially while climbing. Just flip a lever on the top of the left leg an your fork gets rigid. I'll give it a 4 for the great idea. Will come back to rate durability.

Dave   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2005]
Strength:

locks out fork for climbs

durability and support!

this product worked great for about 6 months of medium use, then the entire fork froze up. tried overhauling, no dice - sent it back to manitou and they ended up replacing all the innards. the fork worked great for another 6 months, then the lockout mechanism failed. requested warranty replacement, got the wrong part from manitou. called them up again, got a different wrong part. still waiting for the actual right part.

in sum, don't bother. ride your manitou w/out the lockout, save yer pennies, and get a fox fork.