Romic Twin Tube Rear Shock

Romic Twin Tube Rear Shock

Utilizing advanced features, as well as state-of-the-art computer controlled design and manufacturing, Romic's exclusive Twin Tube Damper leads the way, producing unmatched performance and tuneability for your MTB. Derived from Motorsports, Romic's Twin Tube Dampers combine massive performance as well as the best features of external reservoir dampers in a lightweight compact design. Reactor Valve Technology Developed for the rigors of off-road riding and racing, Romic's exclusive Reactor Valve offers unparallel and independent tuning of both bump forces and rider inputs. Why sacrifice pedal efficiency in order to have a plush ride when Romic's Reactor Valve allows you to have both. Will Increase Rear wheel travel up to 7.2 inches

[Mar 13, 2010]
jey
Downhiller

Strength:

coil spring, easy to adjust and live with, super plush and lively, reactor valve is the best platform i saw on a coil spring, made my bikes serious off road mtb, deal with anything you throw at it, amazing technology

depends on wich one you have, a good or a bad one.
on my first one the red click did work on the last turn of the click...after a service, it was still the same !!

on my second bike, the shock was faultless and i did bring my attention for the superior shock and it s potential , and made me realize that it s what a shox and how it track the way

it s the shox who made my bike riding and flying, the reactor valve is amzing for cruising and hectik in the gnarly stuff.
i never bottomed with it and instantanly my bikes came alive instead of only dealing with absorbing my ride.
i use the 3 in 1 silicone brand , it lubrify the main shaft and dials, it s like an air max with the punch of a hammer.
but get the good one, if you did, you know what type of technology you own.
if not, a good service should bring life to that.
get one !

vanilla rc, dhx 5, dhr 5, ohlins, WP,

[Sep 26, 2009]
OMNICELLL

Strength:

DOes what its suppose to do.. Easy to use... Plush, adjustable.... Strong...

NONE

I called Romic at get a rebuild.. 50$.. and 50$ for a new spring.. Their was no customer service problem..?

I could go out and buy a Fox .. But why.. the Romic works well at what it does.. and its transparent and easy to use.. Just put it on and go...

I see no reason to do anything other then get it rebuilt every year...

Im tired of bells and whistles in this industry... Just give me something solid , that is proven , and that works.. for get about the cream colored bikes and all the shimmery paint , and 400 dials in every direction... Im finding that I dont even use a lock out .. I just have bar ends and go.. The rest is up to me.. and that is what this romic shox is like.. independent common sense...

Rockshox/No-name

[Jul 19, 2003]
Dan

Strength:

Adjustability; Very plush over a wide range of impacts; god control coming out of turns with an impact, e.g., river crossings; comes back to its position very fast after an impact = good control; compared to the FOX Float, the shock keeps the tire on the ground on technicl climbs MUCH better.

Custom options available. This is critical since everyone is not an "average" weight with the same riding style or bike type.

A bit heavy.

No absolute lock out but by tightening down on the compression dampining it's very good. On a Tracer, the shock will only fit in the slack, 4" travel position... since this is all I ride, it's not a big deal for me.

If you are not a weight weenie and want a great shock for its performance, the Romic is the way to go. But actually, the extra pound (or close to it) vs. an air Fox Float is not that bad. It way out performs the Fox and the feedback I have gotten is that it does not require a lot of maintenance (like the Fox... way too much!!)This is TBD.

Though it has no lockout, no good shock should... who says the bumps go away when you go up hill. A shock should perform all the time and a good shock like the Romic can do it. A lock out is nothing more than a band-aid for a performance problem. As well, all those who have ridden a Fox in lockout mode knows that there is still some movement that is awkard and full of stiction.

This shock is about good performance.

Mostly Fox Float, a bit of the Fox Vanilla.

[Jul 06, 2003]
npeter
Downhiller

Strength:

plush on the downhills. reliable. efficient pedalling.

none so far

romic factory set up the shock w/ custom settings for my bike and weight. i have about 10 months of riding on it, no problems. the damping knobs have a noticable effect. pedalling efficiency is many times better than with the fox vanilla on this bike.

fox vanilla, 5th element, noleen, and most air shocks.

[Jul 02, 2003]
James

Strength:

Made custom for your riding style, looks killer, soaks up everything.

This shock kicks butt. Fox's are like a limp wet noodle compared to this shock. I had to send my stock Vanilla RC back 2 times in a little over a year to be revalved after I started bottoming harshly on stuff I ride all the time. Threw the Romic on and I haven't bottomed once. I launch 10-15 footers and 6 footers to flat and have had no problems with leaking or blow outs so they can definitely take some serious abuse. I'm not sure if the anti-bob stuff works since the Turners pedal so well to begin with but it can't hurt. Way easier to set up and bunny hop with than a 5th Element and way cheaper than an Avalanche so as far as I'm concerned Romic is the only choice.

Fox Vanilla RC (sucks)

[Sep 01, 2003]
Christopher Gaunya

Strength:

No bob feature is awsome. When working the shock cancels pedal inputs. Simple to adjust. Don't have to think about it constantly. It has great small bump compliance and sucks up big hits with ease.

Reliability.

I loved this shock up until it started spewing oil all over my rear tire and frame. Its performance was great and I hope this is a one time problem. I guess I will find out how good Romics customer service is and will post further info after I get the shock back. If this shock is reliable after I get it back I would give it 5 chilli's until then I have to down grade my rating. Not many shocks fit my bike and I would hate to have to lay out the 600 bucks for the Curnut shock if Romic can't make this thing work consistantly.

Fox float R on my old FSR. Not comparable really.

[Jun 04, 2003]
Jim

Strength:

Anti-Bob, tunability, size range and real "seat of your pants" impact control.

None to date

Bought my new Turner and couldn't wait to ride the rough single track. Yikes, one harsh ridin' SOB compared to my I-Drive with the Vanilla coil shock. Hmmmm, take off the O.E. AD-12 air shock and try the Fox Vanilla. (Same stroke and length). The ride got much better over little stutter bumps and through babyheads. OK, let's "spring" for a Romic to go along with my dream bike. Waited 7 weeks and when it came I was glad I spent the money. The only way I can describe the difference in ride is to say the Vanilla helped me bounce over the rocks and the Romic absorbs them. That is, you know the suspension is working for you with both shocks. But the Fox seemed a little nervous and skittery through downhill rock gardens where the Romic just sucked the tire to the ground. Something like a baseline Chevy pickup suspension compared to a Z71 off road package on a potholed road. The anti-bob is real, but the Turner didn't suffer much from that before. This shock instantly made me more capable on steep technical climbs as well as the "ohmigosh" downhill sections. It's even on the low end of the custom shock price range. I've ridden the Romic for just over a month, about 40 miles all on rough single track, an I'm convinced the shock makes a real improvement in the ride and control of my Turner. I'm sure it would effect most other bikes the same way, especially single pivot designs.

If you ride rough single track, like the challenge of technical sections or maybe just value technical excellence, buy it.

Fox Vanilla and Cane Creek AD-12

[Sep 01, 2003]
[]D[][]v[][]D

Strength:

very efficient climber....stable platform is legit...does not bob. Supple on smaller stuff, plush enough on the big hits. Romic has pretty good customer service.

Reliability perhaps.....

This was a fantastic upgrade that outweighs the weight penalty (roughly lbs. w/ coil spring, little over a 1/2 lbs. with Ti spring). Only drawback has been reliable....I blew the compression like many others here. Romic turned it around in exactly two weeks. And I'm not sure if they replaced it or repaired it. One of my decals was mangled and upon its return had either been replaced or it was a whole new shock.

The shock climbs AWESOME! I'm no suspension guru but it just hooks up on anything. It does not bob and the bike's rear tracks better than ever before. It's rebound feels great too....it just eases the bike back into position with the settings at halfway. Is plush enough but doesn't come off as cushy. And it sucks up the bigger hits nicely.

While I sent it back for return I tried a Fox Float AVA....the AVA bobbed on me (AVA was set all the way open) but felt super plush and bottomless. But I out the Romic back on and appreciated more tahn I had previously...The Tracer rode much better with the Romic than the AVA, especially when it came to climbing.

Fox RC, Fox AVA

[Jun 04, 2003]
Morten
Downhiller

Strength:

Great damping performance, reduces pedal induced bob.

Almost all the oil leaked from the compression knob after the first run!

For the first 3-4 hours it felt great, much better than a vanilla rc. It soaked up big hits very well. The platform damping works great, it makes my 20kg+ dhr a good pedaler.

BUT, almost all the oil leaked from the compression knob... Now I have to have a new shock, and I will lose many days of riding!!

Fox vanilla rc

[May 21, 2003]
Jeff

Strength:

Almost Eliminates rider induced bobbing

Dampening doesen't last for more than a couple weeks.

Out of the box this shock performs very well. Besides the slight weight increase, The Romic made the Bullit a better climber by almost eliminating any pedal induced bobbing and it also sucks up the bumps like no other on the down hills. However, after riding the bike for a couple weeks the oil blew out out of the compression adjustment in a spectacular way. Dampening was gone and the shock rode like a cheep hooker. Romic assured me that this never happens and after about three weeks I had the shock back. Well, once again it worked fine for a couple rides and then catastrophic failure of the damping reoccurred. Now I do weigh 235LBS but I am using the proper spring and I ride mostley cross country with a few jumps of no more than 3 feet tall. I have had to send in the shock three times now in the six months I have had it. Bottom line is works great when it works, but you had better buy two so you can have one in for repairs and ride the other.

Fox Vanilla RC