RockShox Sid Rear 2003 Rear Shock

DAMPING: Hydraulic

SID Adjust: Rebound
SID Lockout: Compression & lockout
SID*: none
* Available only on a complete bike

SIZES:
6.5" X 1.5"
7.5" X 2.0"

sil2222   [Mar 16, 2013]
Strength:

durable,cheap, negative and positive air chamber mimics hard tail feel,easy to service.

no rebound adjust,no lockout

after thinking my new shock had developed a leak loss of psi i replaced the seal and found that it too appeared to be leaking but i found it was my error the negative chamber on this shock holds very little air so when you remove pump the amount of air that escapes is enough to bring your psi on neg side from 100 psi to 50 psi measure pressure again and i found that pump removal from the valve caused enough air loss to make it appear like shock was leaking but it was not. what i found was just removing pump will cause enough psi loss to make it appear as shock seal on neg side is leaking. to really test for a leak on neg side attach pump to neg side note psi and leave it until morning if psi is same no leak also try sitting on bike with pump attached. To really avoid so much loss in psi when filling neg side first remove air pressure from positive are chamber then fill your neg side to about 15 psi above where you want it then when you remove pump from valve the air loss will bring it down to about where you want psi to be. then refill your positive chamber.

Small Wave Dave   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2011]
Strength:

Light, and, when working, it has a great feel for XC riding on my older 3 inch travel FSR XC. There are complications....see below.

The original seal suck...especially for the negative chamber.

Rocky Mountain Cyclery somehow got a hold of a bunch of these and is selling them on ebay, now in 2011. For me it was a great and cheap way to keep my old XC bike working.

The down side is although they have not been used, the seals in the negative chamber are made out of some plastic that didn't hold up over time. Every one of them will fail, probably on first inflation.

However, there's a solution on ebay as well: A guy that calls himself ford_focus sells the seal kit for ten bucks - and these are rubber seals, not the weird plastic ones. I replaced mine. It's really easy, and now my bike feels better than new...much lighter than the original coil shock. The ford_focus guy will install the seals for 48 bucks including shipping.

Hope this helps someone that needs and old 3 inch travel shock.

Similar Products Used: Fox coil
steel_3d   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2009]
Strength:

Awesome adjustability (positive, negative air spring, rebound), no bob, super light.

Shock itself makes a bit of scratching noise but is smooth enough and the rebound range still works. After all these years I'm surprised there's oil still in it.

Negative side didn't hold pressure when I bought it. But I took it apart and cleaned everything, including the seal on the negative side, put it together with petroleum jelly (vaseline, since they call for oil soluble grease, but any grease should work) on the seal and o-rings, now holds pressure like a champ! Didn't even need a new seal. Don't be afraid to take it apart and clean it. It just twists apart by hand, you don't really need a special spanner wrench like the manual calls for. Here's a service giude: http://manualer.happymtb.org/rock%20shox/2003-2004%20sid%20rear%20service%20guide.pdf

Have fun!

Similar Products Used: none
Impaaked   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2009]
Strength:

Very responsive and supple

Ideal shock for lighter riders, I'm 160lbs. I've heard heavy rock crusher catagory riders complain. Negative chamber lasted 5 years before rebuild.

A very responsive and supple shock. Easy routine maintenance. Negative chamber gave up last year and I had the entire shock rebuilt for $67 (Canadian) including shipping from Kyle at The Broken Bike with a 1 week turnaround. Even came back with nice metal Schrader valve caps. Thanks Kyle.

Similar Products Used: Manitou swinger coil, Fox RP3, Cane Creek
EFMax   Weekend Warrior [Apr 29, 2009]
Strength:

It's neat and stylish and it works. Easy to setup and forget.

None that I have found in over 6yrs of constant use with not a single service yet.

Can not really understand all of the issues below. Mine was brought new but at discount price and I have used it on two bikes. Setting up is easy I keep mine at 200psi (pos +) and between 210-190psi (neg-).

It holds pressure all year round and the only time I change it is when I check it each year and there is never more than a 10-15psi change over each 12months..

Bottom line, I am happy and even though there are newer shoxs out there, I have to ask myself why I would change as this one works fine.

If anything happens to it I would probably service it at PUSH and just put it back on again.

bikerted   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2008]
Strength:

Looks well built, Rock Shox brand name, came with bike frame.

I have had nothing but bad luck with this shock. I understand it is a great product once tuned, but nothing I was able to do seemed to work the way I wanted. Either to stiff, or pogo stick like. After about 6 months, the negative air spring would not hold pressure. I ended up getting the Fox float.

I really like the Fox Float. It is lighter, and has something called pro-peddle which seems to work really well against peddle induced bob, even when climbing out of the saddle. I am willing to bet that my Sid shock was a lemon. Rock Shox has a very good reputation, and is still one of the most popular brand out there. Since the Sid rear shock is not at retail model. I am not able to find a rebuild kit for it.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float, Stratos Helix, MC After shock.
Jim Nessler   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2003]
Strength:

Weight, adjustability

Poor quality, poor durability

I am 165 lbs. and am not a rough rider. I do not break things on my bike or crash often. At 54 years old, how hard CAN I ride? Yet the negative air chamber will no longer hold air, making the bike feel like a hard tail over small bumps. My LBS says it will take about 3 weeks to have the shock warranteed, and since I ride at least 3 times a week, having my bike down for that amount of time is unacceptable. I also recently had a problem with my Duke XC fork leaking oil because Rockshox does not use an inner seal in the fork, only a foam ring. Luckily, I was able to find a set of aftermarket seals that DO have inner seals and repaired the fork myself. I thought bikes were made to be ridden, not sit around waiting for Rockshox to take care of their poor quality components.

Similar Products Used: Cheapo DNM shock on dept. store bike; have ridden bikes with Fox shock
Matthew   [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

Not user friendly. Owners manual is vague. Why make something that doesn't work great.

Don't waste your money on this product! Just remember that Roland Green is paid or sponsored to ride this crap and probably get it rebuilt after each ride....Boycott Rock Shock and maybe they will start turning out some quality product. I WANT A REFUND SO I CAN BUY A PRODUCT THAT ACTUALLY WORKS!

Similar Products Used: Fox Float--buy this on front and rear. Rock Shox should of stayed brankrupt or concentrate on making a product that works good and isn't a maintenance hog. Fox will always have my business unless something changes at Rock Shock. Trek should have went the way of Klein and equipped their high end bike with Fox..products that work.
Bigfoot   Racer [May 26, 2003]
Strength:

Still waiting to find them

There is not a lock out. Period.

Follow up to previous post. The lock out indeed did not work. My local bike shop sent the rear shock back. The one I got back from Rockshox did the same thing. Now they claim it's not really a lock out, but a dampening system. Then why market it as a lock-out. There is a huge differance! Rockshox and or Trek needs to straighten this out. I love Trek, but this is wrong to market this shock as a lock-out.
Otherwise, great bike.

Similar Products Used: FOX RC, Great shock, no problems.
Evan   Racer [May 26, 2003]
Strength:

Does its job, partially! Nice compression feel and nearly spot on rebound.

No lockout whatsoever. Rockshox says it is called "firm out" I say they are dreaming! Might as well left the lever off.

No resolution yet. Hello Rockshox need some service or tech bulletin on this issue! Obviously this is a problem for more than one person and my pal has a Fuel 100 and his lockout works so where is the quality control. Talked to Trek and they said that the lockout should "blowoff" but it should be noticeable.
Maybe Rockshox is just making this all up so they don't have to stand behind their product. Last year it was the SID fork bushings that rattled after a month. Rockshox said that they were fine--now they offer an upgrade to minimize bushing play!
Interestingly I found that when I mount the shock upside down(lever down) the lockout works! Too bad I can't reach the lever while riding. Hope they start helping us out soon!(I will trade a working lockout for five flamin' chilis!)

Similar Products Used: Fox, Canecreek.