RockShox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock

RockShox Monarch RT3 Rear Shock

Rock Shox Monarch RT3 Air Shock: Lightweight XC/All-Mountain racing oriented rear air shock: 215g. SoloAir spring system: single Schrader valve, dual chamber air spring with self-regulating negative pressure. Hard anodized, 28mm aluminum...

[May 26, 2016]
Cayenne_Pepa

Strength:

~ Good weight, at 265g(184x44)
~ Very plush, at 30% sag
~ 2015 internals now gives you that bottomless feel
~ 3-position lever rotates a full 360 degrees
~ Small bump sensitivity, with excellent midstroke
~ 10 click rebound dial, for fine-tuned damping
~ Fast Black shock body smoother than Gold Slick anodized finish
~ Easy, DIY rebuild and service

No SRAM Full Sprint compatibility

One of the very best. SRAM keeps outdoing themselves with the Monarch series, year after year. For 2016 - this XC/Trail shock has now come full-circle, with the Debonair high-volume can upgrade for Magic Carpet plushness and bottomless tokens, for insane adjustability. Once you dial this baby in....it feels like a coil spring, instilling confidence and a set of balls like you never thought you had.

I tried them ALL....I still keep coming back to this one.

~ BOS Vipr 2
~ Cane Creek DB Inline

[Jun 22, 2014]
Fred Norton
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Not much pogo bob (when it actually works).

Failed to hold air, failed to travel, not plush.

The first one failed to hold air after a few hundred miles. It went from 130 PSI to 90 PSI each ride, and I only weigh 160 pounds and don't do big drops (or little ones). Then I got it rebuilt. It came back without the percent lines on the piston that I liked to help me adjust to the appropriate PSI. After a few hundred more miles, it failed to provide any travel at all. It's like a hard-tail with some extra weight. Two rebuilds in less than two years...I'm not impressed.

Fox Alps 5R. Worked almost 10 years before replaced.

[May 25, 2013]
Johnny RC
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great platform, plush when it needs to be, solid when it should be.

Doesn't hold air that well.

I bought this to replace an RP23 which I felt was too mushy. The RP23 was a L-L tune, and I'm a heavier rider. I bought the Monarch direct from Titus, so it was factory tuned for my el guapo (med-med tune), which may be why such a huge difference. It has the 3 settings, which sound like it's similar to Fox's CTD. I leave it on Trail setting unless it's a wicked shuttle, and it handles all that I throw at it. It climbs great even in that setting. I don't notice any pedal bob unless I get out of the saddle and really crank it. I recently rode in Moab for the first time, Monarch RT3 in the back, RS Lyrik coil in the front, and the bike ate it up like a champ. In 3 straight days of hard riding, the only thing that broke was I wore a hole in one of my gloves. But Rock gardens at top speed, no prob, bigger drops than I've ever done before, no sweat. Great set up. My ONLY complaint, is that I notice the shock doesn't hold air that well. With the RP23, I would check the pressure in the shock a couple times a month, and I would maybe lose 5lbs, if anything. This shock I have to fill up weekly, as it bleeds 15-20lbs. However, I'm riding harder than I ever have, so that could be it, and not the shocks fault. Either way, I'm very happy with it, and not going back. I'm a bit of a clyde, and this and a coil fork is the best setup I've found for me doing Enduro/All Mountain style riding. Cheers.

Fox RP23, Manitou (cant remember model)

[Apr 08, 2013]
Andrew

Strength:

Comes with a pump and new seals for the first rebuild, can be serviced by oneself if one wishes to do that, can also be retuned by oneself if desired, excellent pricing, excellent weight, the 360 degree lever travel with set positions at 120 degree marks

Some people have reported noise issues with little milage (not clear what year those complaints pertain to), the '13 doesn't appear to be able to be Pushed as of this writing (might be a neg for XC racers).

I installed a '13 Rockshox Monarch RT3 (6.5 x 1.5 with the MM S 320 tune) on my trusty 2005 KHS XC 604 (had installed a coil shock a few years ago), and wow does this shock work beatuifully! The open and locked modes feel no differant from my old shock. But having the pedal mode is a revelation - feels locked out on the street, but fully active off road - no need to flick the lever. Small bump compliance in pedal mode is excellent thoubh it is slightly firmer then with it open. Don't let that scare you off, it's hardly noticable, even out on the trails. The only thing I'm not sure about is the rapid recovery rebound, I've never had probem with the old rear shock packing up on me, and I adjusted the rebound to be about the same as what I set the old shock to. I do know that this shock just swallows the bumps and hits over and over effortlessly.

[Feb 06, 2013]
abrahamfroham

Strength:

Set up, mid-stroke support, platform, rebound

None yet.

Struggled with a RP23 on a Pivot Firebird; felt like there was no mid-stroke support, blew through travel too quickly, not enough rebound and pro-pedal felt like it was doing nothing. If I matched my fork with the shock, my fork was set up too soft for my liking. I don't know if my shock was in need of a rebuild (which could be the case), but I thought I would try the Monarch RT3 mid-tune just to give it a shot. Very satisfied with it. Feels like it should with supportive, progressive, positive travel. The biggest surprise is how well the platform works on this shock; it's almost a full lockout.

[Nov 06, 2012]
Mee Racz
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Looks, weight, performance, price.

As another review said, knowing the type of suspension is important. It comes in three different tunes. I chose a med. tune for my bmc trailfox. Around 30% sag. After break in, this thing got really smooth. While riding, switching between the three firmness settings is awesome. Intuitive and effective. The adjustable rebound also increases with the three lever positions. Comparing it to my rp23, It's sort of like having a setting between full open, and pro pedal. It came with a rebuild kit and pump. Awesome!

rp23

[Sep 16, 2012]
Ryan Dent-Hadwick
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

pedal thresh hold,looks nice,easy to set up

sticky,bottoms out to easy,rebound does not fully work
lots of bad reviews and most are correct

245 psi and cant get it to sit any better than 30% ( i weigh 15 stone), sits into its travel to easy,no small bump or traction,bottoms out very easy,sticks down and after only a few rides the blue thrash hold leaver leaks air..... its back to the shop with this shock to see if i can swap or get it repaired but if i can't then im getting a coil. not pleased,had high hopes as i love rockshox forks and there the best for what i do but this shock is so bad i cant ride my mega properly

fox rp23, monarch 2.1

[Jun 05, 2012]
Glen coe

Strength:

Looks nice

Is anyone else finding that it bottoms out far to easily? Even with nearly 200psi! Any suggestions

looks n feels great, especially on light DH, it just hates hitting jumps n drops

[May 27, 2012]
mountainbiker24
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The platform settings work very well and are quite distinct.
Reliable.
Light.
Feels almost as good as the coil DHX 5.0 it replaced.
Feels much better than my Fox Float RL.
Comes in black or white!
Fits my bike.

Hmm... I've got nothing.
I guess it could be cheaper and come with swag.

This shock has been awesome on my 2005 Santa Cruz Heckler. It feels almost as good as a coil, has a usable range of platform, and is light. I bought the high volume can, and I added some plastic to reduce the volume. It works like a charm!

Fox DHX5.0 coil
Fox Float RL
Fox Float R (Pushed, but broken)
Fox Float R (not Pushed)
Marzocchi Roco R coil
Manitou Swinger 4way

[Feb 22, 2012]
ride the biscuit
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

light, great value for money so far, bike feels very lively because of reduced weight and firm platform, awesome to pump every ounce of speed out of a flow trail, feels great in medium speed technical terrain riding, linear positive feel (unlike dhxA, which felt like it blew thru travel then piggyback stops a bottomoout), drastically improved climbing due to both weight and platform, and last but not least LOOKS

its not very plush; just a little too much air and I'm riding a hardtail. I'm not a great basis for comparison on that aspect given the other shocks i ride and my bike setup. even so, I only find it lacking on very chattery stuff at top speed, but not more than i would expect for what it is

I'm mainly writing this review to share my experience that this shock took a pretty significant time to brake in for me. I would otherwise put this in negatives, but I've heard that the longer it takes to brake in a shock the better long term durability. Hearsay really, but could be some truth to it. Anyways after a good handful of rides, with fast, rocky tech sections included, mine really started behaving like a quality air shock should. Neither of my fox shocks had to brake in quite like that. At first I was thinking "What is going on with this thing!?!?", and I thought someone might find this warning helpful.

oh and make sure you get the right tune for your bike's suspension rate

overall im really glad i got this VS. spending to fix my DHXa's rebound damper...its a whole different bike now when i swap between the coil and air shocks so more versatile. i didn't notice the rear der thing other reviewers noted but i ride the fast, tech trails in western NC and had to force myself to stop listening to my rear der slap around like a little b

fox float, dhx air. now i swap between the RS monarch and an elka stage 5