RockShox Monarch 4.2 Rear Shock

• Spring: Solo Air
  • Spring Adjust: Air pressure via single Schrader Valve
  • Body Material: Aluminum

Zachariah   All Mountain Rider [Oct 13, 2015]
Strength:

~ Plush
~ Uses all available travel, for XC use
~ Very light, at 216g
~ Decent mid-stroke
~ Many available tunes
~ Same performance than newer RT3
~ Better service interval, than comparable Fox RP23

~ Early Rockshox QC was hit or miss
~ Swivel air valve weenie was weak link, for leaks
~ No true lockout....just firm platform
~ Skinny rebound dial requires a "tool" to set...since "fixed" on RT3

This was the aftermarket version of the Monarch 3.3. Unfortunately, 2007-2010 Rockshox QC can result in either a great-performing shock....or a troublesome one. I got lucky. Why spend almost $400 for a Rockshox Monarch RT3/XX when you can get same exact performance for under $200...if still found?

Similar Products Used: Fox RP23
Rockshox Monarch XX
DT Swiss XR Carbon
amirn3   [Jul 28, 2012]
Strength:

the shock dos'nt works good, i tried to put more air pressure less air pressure and i never got it to work good, i dont like it, it is not smooth or plusshy' or it dosent works or it go all the way down from jumping a 4 Staircase (just an example)

dont buy it, or pugrade it at the moment of buying

Daemongrad   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, smooth, plush, super adjustable, pretty.... I got the version with slime green stickers.

rebound control is hard to reach?!?! (fat fingers perhaps)

buy it and love it!

Similar Products Used: x-fusion something... on specialized xc/fsr testbike
Stacey   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2011]

swivel valve sheared off on 1st ride!!

Not impressed with a design concept that would allow the valve to shear off if it opens. It was my first ride on my new longingly anticipated bike. I never realized that it could shear off but after talking to other people with the same shock it seems to be a problem. Why design a part that has this potential?! Waste! I would look at other shocks before purchasing another one of these!

Similar Products Used: first full suspension bike
mogligirl   Weekend Warrior [Jan 28, 2011]
Strength:

Great price; sag gradient; 4.2 allows you to set the threshhold; great shock all around

worked great for me--no weaknesses

So, we're all in search of the perfect shock. I don't like the new rp23 shocks (w/ boostvalve) b/c I never feel like I get a firm, firm platform. Not that I use a firm platform all the time, but I want the option of it being there if I want it. The Monarch 4.2 gave me the firmness I've been looking for. I thought it used its stroke great. Maybe blew through its midstroke a bit, but the Mojo has a reputation for doing that, so it could be the bike design. I don't see any advantage of going w/ an rp23 w/ boostvalve. I've gone through several of those and I haven't been satisfied or impressed.

I realize there are several low ratings for the monarch on here, but I have to report my experience w/ it unbiasedly.

Similar Products Used: rp23
spirov92   Weekend Warrior [Dec 26, 2010]
Strength:

everything works great, removes pedal bob

air leak at the valve

So far it's been really good. The rebound and floodgate work great, I get very little pedal bob. The famous air leak at the swiveling valve is fixed by tightening the screw that holds the swivel valve to the body. On the older ones that's done with a 7mm spanner.

Similar Products Used: it's my first air shock
Gson   Downhiller [Jul 13, 2010]
Strength:

Its light i suppose

Just an extreemly average feeling shock. Kind of sticks in its sag point which gives a harsh feeling over smaller hits. Bigger hits blow through and bottom out the shock. Flood gate and lock out is next to useless. I cant tell any difference between the lock and unlock position.

Its a shame such a wicked bike (attack trail) comes with such an average feeling shock. I fitted a Rocco Air TST R to it and it made a huge difference.

Similar Products Used: Products owned...Fox DHX 5,3,4, Marzocchi Rocco Air TST R, Manitou Swinger 4 way. Fox RP23.
Ithnu   Racer [Apr 05, 2010]
Strength:

Takes more FR type riding well.

The flood gate does nearly nothing. Its more like a very bad LSC, definitely not a lock out despite there being a picture of a lock on the dial...

My old DHX Air with pro-pedal has a more effective pedaling platform than the Monarch lockout and that is a FR/DH shock.

I'm replacing it with a 2010 Float RP23. This thing doesn't work at all like its claimed. It does the FR side of all mountain all right though. If you plan to do any moderate to serious climbing you don't want this shock.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float, Fox DHX Air
skihausvt   Downhiller [Mar 24, 2010]
Strength:

LIGHT, smooth, havn't had to service it in over a season of riding.

None so far im gonna have to disagree with all of the bad reviews on this shock.

A solid rear shock, A fox dhx or something similar would most likely be a better freeride shock but there not as light.

Similar Products Used: first rear shock.
ibeamcarver   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2010]
Strength:

Smooth ride, absorbs big hits and small bumps, gate setting works great for climbing

leaks air. Rockshox sent this as a replacement for the Pearl 3.3 which came on the bike new. Pearl 3.3 leaked air, Monarch leaks air. I wouldn't buy another Rockshox rear shock. I've had better luck with their forks, although not using one now.

Get Fox instead