RockShox Monarch 3.1 Rear Shock

• Spring Adjust: Air pressure via single Schrader Valve
  • Body Material: Aluminum

Greg   [Feb 15, 2015]
Strength:

this is junk and rock shox knows it! if it says rock shox ride on by!

big turd!

jhazard   Downhiller [Aug 16, 2010]
Strength:

Light?

Air valve degrades with use. Every time I've put air in it, it leaks out faster. Serious design flaw.

Aired this shock up to 190 (my current weight). Rode for 1 hour, lost 100 psi. Aired it up again, rode 1 hr, lost 150 psi. Aired up again, rode 20 minutes, lost 170 psi. Aired up again, would not hold air as it all leaks out the valve where it swivels. Stay away from this shock. I'm moving to a coil assisted shock now.

Rated lowest because well, its not value if it does not work. After four rides, this shock is a complete failure. I don't want SRAM to fix it, I don't trust the product at this point.

Similar Products Used: Closest product would be a Marz Rocco TST.
Susan Dallam   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2010]
Strength:

great product when it works

leaks like crazy, difficulty getting satisfactory warranty service

If you can get this shock to work, it's great. 6 months after I purchased the bike, the shock bottomed out completely. It took me a while to figure out what the problem was. When I finally got a clue, SRAM sent replacement parts but would not replace the whole shock. Before I even got out of the driveway, the shock bottomed out again. This time SRAM refurbished it. 15 minutes into the first technical ride, the valve stem snapped completely off. I'm 5'8, 140 and an amature rider. SRAM, this is your last chance to make it right.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox on a 92 stumpy
jumper780   Cross Country Rider [Nov 22, 2009]
Strength:

-Great damping
-Supple yet doesn't bob like my old MC3
-Like the sag measurements on the arm

-Air leaks
-Bad valve
-Air leaks

Look, I have had this shock for approx 6 weeks. After the first week I noticed that it was leaking air. Called RS and they told me to bring it in to my LBS so that the valve assembly could be replaced. Got it a week later. Had a race today and what happens....my shock started to bottom out (basically lost 60psi!) around halfway through the race. After the race I approached the SRAM tent and told them what happened. Some tech just tried to tighten the air valve assembly and said to call SRAM. He said I might have to have it rebuilt. OMG, after 6 weeks. I am giving SRAM one more shot to get this right. If not, then I will take the loss and switch to Fox or a Cloud 9.
C'MON SRAM lets get this right.

Similar Products Used: -Rock Shox MC 3.1
avbcon12   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2009]
Strength:

Works well once dialed in.

Along with the other negative reviews, these shocks (2.1,3.1.3.3,4.2) originally came with a faulty or loose air valve. Rockshox has fixed this issue now and will provide either a repair kit or a new shock. This should no longer be a negative since RS has fixed the issue, all you have to do is call them.

These shocks work well once the air valve is repaired. I do prefer the lockout levers on the higher models.

JRK   Racer [Apr 19, 2009]
Strength:

The shock rebounds nicely, and with the gate full on it allows for stiff climbs.

The air stem valve is very awkward, the rebound adjustment knob is virtually impossible to adjust. My finger barely fits in the area provided. The gate adjustment is sketchy. You feel a difference only full on, or full off. Looses 30-50 lbs of air pressure after a day of hard riding.

If you plan on riding hard, and weigh over 190lbs, don't get this shock. For a light weekend warrior the shock will suit fine.

Similar Products Used: First full suspension bike. Always rode a hardtail with Manny Nixon Elite front shock.
Timbo83   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2009]
Strength:

Good feel, compression and rebound works well

Unreliable, leaks air, swivel head shock pump connection work itself loose and leaks, came with little oil

Ive had this shock for 4 months now. I bought it as an upgrade from my 2006 Fox Float R. Installation and initial setup was very easy, aside from the rebound knob being very awkward to access, but it worked. After 3 short XC rides to run the shock in it developed a slow leak, losing about 10psi over 2 hours of XC riding. From their on it got progressively worse to the point where i would have to stop riding every 20min to pump it up again, otherwise it felt the bike felt heavy and sluggish. Rather than take up a warranty claim i took it to my local Rockshox rebuilder and upon opening up the shock it was found to have next to no oil left and the seals had therefore degraded and needed replacing. After it was fixed it then went another 12 weeks with no problems. In fact it ran like a dream. Then the swivel head that the pump connects to began to come lose and leaked so bad it wouldnt hold any air at all. That was fixed, but then the slow leak began again, and after a few rides it was losing 30psi every 45min. Ive now given up on this shock and on rockshox, and replaced it. I should have listened to my piers and stuck with another higher quality brand.....

Similar Products Used: Fox RP2
georgeisslim1   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2008]
Strength:

rock shock monarch 3.1 ok as rear shock does what u want it to do

do not inflate past 210 psi because your seals will pop and i have had this happen 2 in three months alltho it does sate 275 psi on the side of the shock hmmmmm

if you have monarch shok change 4 somthing else dont what but i am not happy with the product