RockShox MC 3.1 Rear Shock

• Shift Material: 7075 Aluminum
  • Body Diameter: 25mm

[Nov 16, 2009]
GrantR

Strength:

Pretty durable shock. I blew out the original in 6 months of riding, but the replacement has put up with 2.5 years of much harder riding. Motion control seems to work, but I just leave it open.

At least in my frame, the shock is way too progressive. I have it set to 30% sag, and it will still buck me on lips, and won't bottom after 5' to flat drops. The high speed compression is just way too stiff, and isn't independently adjustable

A decent shock for xc or trail riding, but has a very nonlinear spring rate so it suppers on the fast technical stuff.

I'm a little disappointed, but haven't stopped eating to save for a new shock yet.

[Sep 09, 2008]
Westbayou

Strength:

Squeaks when compressed, difficult to adjust. Will not hold air pressure even after a complete rebuild.

I purchased this shock new on my my EX6 as a closeout, and it has not worked yet. Had it completely rebuilt today and it still will not hold air pressure. Hopefully Rockshox steps up to the plate and replaces it with something that does.

First time owning a FS bike.

[Apr 07, 2007]
Joel Devich

Strength:

It is an adjustable shock. Not expensive if you buy it aftermarket. Good for normal XC riding.

squeaks when compressed (might go away after break-in) Not the best for bigger hits

This shock came with my new bike. I used a Fox coil over shock for the past 10 years, and I like how smooth it is. The RS MC 3.1 is a good shock its just not as smooth as a coil over. Im hoping that after the break-in it will smoothen out. I am a 190 lbs rider, and have the shock pumped with 110psi. It is great over small bumps you wont feel them at all, but for the big hits I can use almost all of the travel. I would recommend this shock to Beginner/novice XC riders. Im not sure yet if im going to change it out with a Fox RP23, I will have to see how durable it is. I cant give it 5 chilis due to it being a bit of a task to adjust on the fly, but it will do everything that you want at an in-expensive price.

Fox Vanilla coil (1997), Fox RP23, Rockshox Bar