RockShox Bar Rear 2003 Rear Shock

Adj:
BAR: none
BAR Adjust: Rebound

Darrin   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2003]

I also got this shock on a 2003 Ibex Apogee XT.

Unfortunately it failed in the first week. I weigh 150 lbs and ran the shock at 150lb/sq-inch.

The pressure is maintained but the shock slowly rebounds less and less. At the end of a 3 hour ride, it takes about 40 mintues to rebound completely. Yet, it seems normal when bouncing on the bike for just a few minutes.

Charles Brewer   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

While it worked, it was OK.

It failed completely after 3 months. Went back got fixed, was refitted to bike and after half a mile on tarmac, it had collapsed again.

Not impressive. I'm not THAT fat (despite what my wife says when she's fed up with me - c 160lbs - me that is, not her), and not that aggressive on the bike (that's cowardice!).

This thing just failed twice.

Still the top of the range ETS-by-stealth makes another step forward ...

I've just been very lucky that:

1) I bought the bike from my local bike shop (Nirvana, Westcott)
2) Simon and Jackie (who own it) really look after their customers. They took full responsibility, got it fixed immediately (first time it failed) and sorted out a replacement (second time it failed)
3) It failed with only about 5 miles left to go the first time.

The moral? Buy software on the internet, and bikes from your local shop!

Similar Products Used: None - yet
Mike C.   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2003]
Strength:

Light
Looks good
Good performance (so far)

None discovered yet

There aren't any reviews for this yet, so even though I haven't had it for very long, I thought it would be worth something to get out some end user feedback on it. I was very skeptical about this shock when ordering my bike since it is new for '03 and OEM only. Turns out, my fears were unwarranted. I can't speak for its longevity, but I can say that right now it works flawlessly. It holds air better than my tires by a long shot. The rebound adjustment works very well. Turn it towards the turtle to dial out almost all pedal bob, or towards the rabbit to make it squishier. Sure there are jazzier shocks out there, but you needn't fear if your bike comes stock with this unit. It does its job competently and I'm in no hurry to upgrade it. It's OEM only, so it must be cheap, right? So five smelly logs for value and five overall for the good performance. I'll ammend later if I change my mind.

Similar Products Used: Hardtails only til now
joebiggen   [Jun 17, 2005]
Strength:

Has held up under my big butt for over a year, smooth, low maintenance, so far so good.

No adjustments except for air pressure, leaks a little, but not too bad.

I've read all the reviews and have been waiting for it to crap out, but it hasn't happened yet. I do mostly aggressive XC with some urban thrown in, and I weigh over 200, so I wasn't expecting much longevity. Well, other than a minor slow pressure leak, it's doing ok. I've had it for just over a year and it has been totally bulletproof other than topping off the air pressure about once a month or so. Some adjustability would be nice, but sometimes simpler is better as well. It gets a little bouncy when running over 200lbs pressure, but is super-supple when it drops down to 175-180. If (and when) it craps out, I may go to stiffer coil-type, but it's still going strong for the time being. Not bad for OEM.

Similar Products Used: some cheapo- coils
Brian Dotson   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2004]
Strength:

Reliable, smooth, adjustable on the fly

None seen yet.

This is the 04 model apparently as it came OEM on my Haro. But having read other's issues with the o3, I felt I had to review it - I've pounded this thing - and I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. No, I'm not doing 4' drops but I do ride it hard and have had no, 0, ZERO, NADA leakage. It's smooth, reliable, very little bob. To those who say it's bouncing really bad, adjust your preload on the fly, and be careful - slight adjustments make HUGE changes! A turn of the little red knob only one click can make the thing feel like a totally different shock! And air pressure makes a big difference as well. The manual says start with your wieght in air and then play around with it. I'm 240 and running 175lbs and it is sick how smooth this thing is! On a very rocky, rooty downhill today (the thing is 1/2 of a mile long and a 4 wheeler trail at a pretty steep descent) I hit 27 miles an hour and the shock was smooth and stable. I had to climb back out the same way I came in and even though the ground was slick (it had rained the day before and this is RED CLAY!!!) the rear wheel tracked great. This ius a great shock for the normal cross country rider. If you're a free riding wannabe, maybe not but for a fast reliable ride on rough terrain (not including housetops) this will do great!

Similar Products Used: GT I Drive OEM
scott gregory   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2004]
Strength:

none yet

i don't know whats up with this thing, its my first dual susser and after filling it up (250) the first time and and sitting on it it holds for a second and then slowly collapses. what the #$%^!!!!!! took it to the bike shop and they said i'm too heavy for it (6.0, 218). doesn't sound right to me. anyone got any inputs that would help me out

pissed off, can't ride

Nunya Same   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2004]
Strength:

Cheap, easy to adjust, takes hits well.

Very bouncie, looses some air (+/- 10lbs) on long rides (30+ miles). Carry your pump!

This is an OK shock for someone starting out, the bouncing is getting to be a problem as I am starting to ride more technical stuff.

Similar Products Used: None.
Angela Edgar   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2004]
Strength:

Reliable and robust on the rebound. The factory setting was perfect for me so I've never had to adjust the travel.

None yet - though I'm a wee bit concerned with the other reviews.

So far the shock has been great fun - I've been testing it to the limit (well - my limits) for 9 months now and have no issues. Not too bouncy on the uphill slogs either.

I think the technical problems have been evaded as I'm only 130lbs. I'd recomend that the shock should be re-graded for lighweights only.