Marzocchi Roco R Air Rear Shock

• Nickel Coated Body
  • Linear Air Spring
  • Fixed Negative Air

serhij   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2009]
Strength:

cheap, reliable, plush, bottom out proof, self serviceable, no pedaling platform

no pedaling platform (yes, both good and bad), weight (80g more than Fox Float RP23)

Over 1 year of both trail and AM riding and FR abuse and everything works perfect. No statical friction, no air nor oil leaks, works so plush it's almost impossible to tell if it's an air or coil.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float R, Fox Float RP23, Manitou Swinger 4way coil, 5th Element coil, Fox DHX 5.0 coil, Fox DHX 5.0 Air Marzocchi Roco TST R Coil, Marzocchi Roco Air 3PL
2tech   Downhiller [Sep 04, 2008]
Strength:

This shock is light and feels great out of the box. The only adjustment other than air pressure that it has (rebound) works well and is extremely consistent.

I had a nasty experience in whistler... on my second ride with the bike. See the bottom line.

During the summer of 2008 I have been up to whistler three times. After the first time I had decided to invest in a new bike and get rid of my scream frame that I had loved so dearly for something new, exciting, and somewhat light. I picked up a new brodie derelict from my shop and switched out everything except for the suspension, just to see how it would hold up. I took the bike up to whistler for a gnarly day of break-in and came home more than satisfied. The ride was a bit choppy but that was to be expected. What pleased me was the consistent performance of the rear end, tracking ok for a 4.5" travel bike. The second day at whistler was even better, as my ride had started to move from break-in to strait up buttery. I had been ripping it up in garbanzo for a couple of hours and before I went to pack it in I decided to do a run of crank it up, a pretty easy trail. About a quarter way down the run, I landed a jump and I heard an unnatural PANG from my rear end, and when I looked down, my rear shock was sitting firmly inthe bottom out position. At first I had thought, "oh F***" I blew my shock... but soon realized otherwise when I tried to let the air out and there was still plenty of air in it. I pumped it up again and it worked as good as new! I'm not sure how the air in the shock managed to get from the positive to the negative chamber, but it happened, and I wasn't riding very hard. I think marzocchi has a few bugs left to work out, seeing as this shock should be as reliable as the fox vanillas and floats I've played with.... none experiencing this kind of problem. For the record, I would still recommend this shock to a beginner rider or for a weight weenie, but never for another technical speed junkie like me.

Similar Products Used: Fox dhx3, dhx5, dhx5 air, vanilla rc, vanilla r...
Kirk   Weekend Warrior [Sep 13, 2007]
Strength:

This is a wonderful AM/FR rear shock. I like it better than my Fox DHX 5.0 Air. It's great for someone over 200 lbs who wants a light weight air shock for trail riding. It's a very active shock with less controls than the Fox DHX Air. I highly recommend it for the price and ride. They are backordered and hard to find. You can't beat it for the price!

Similar Products Used: Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Ken Bennett   Downhiller [Aug 31, 2007]
Strength:

Very plush, looks cool, super low price.

Rebound didn't work right out of the box. Talked to Marz. rep to make sure there wasn't some speed sensitive valving on the rebound side (only has approx. %25 available rebound compared to every other shock I've used). Played phone tag with warranty trying to get an RA for it, that took 3 weeks (!!!!!). Finally sent it in and waited,,, for 2 MONTHS!!! Finally got the shock back this week and it's exaxtly the same as when it left, crap rebound and all. I'm pretty sure this one is just a lemon since everything I've gotten from Marz. has been very good but I'm still pretty annoyed. When something doesn't work right out of the box it should just be replaced with a new one, not sent in for repair and it should definitely work right after 2 months in the repair shop.

I hope this shock is just an anomaly but no matter what I'm fairly disgusted with the whole ordeal. I'm planning to send this thing back and ask for either a new one or a refund. I put down my time used as less than a month since it's been in the box longer than it's been on the bike. The low price is the only reason I tolerated this mess for this long.

Similar Products Used: Fox shocks for years, Romic
Mikey   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2007]
Strength:

Beefy, Super plush. Like butter baby. Like butter baby. PRICE.

ahhhhhh...hhhhmmmm...

This shock is definitely not for weight watchers. For AM/FR set-up only. It's like butter baby. Love it. Just put 20-30% sag, set the rebound and you're done. No need for too much setting like other shocks. Oh yeah. Did you see the price on this bad boy. I can buy 2 rocos for the price of a blah blah blah shock.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox bar, Manitou swinger 3way-coil,
RacinJ   [Jun 25, 2007]
Strength:

I've ridden this shock once. I am highly impressed and anticipating my next ride. I start from my house with a 3/4 mile climb up a road to Wendell St. Forest. I stood up on the climb to see what the shock would do; no bob. Once I got in the woods, my rear suspension felt more firm(in a good way) than previously with my SID Air XC. I run a Giant AC Air in the 5.15" travel setting and so far, I'm stoked about this product. I railed the Nipmuck Trail(a good downhill) and without even adjusting the shock except for pumping the air to what Marzocchi suggested, I felt like my suspension was perfectly dialed in. I'm looking forward to finding some burlier trails to try it out on, including Mt. Snow.

I wish in one of the four or five times I spoke to Marzocchi's tech support(when I was even able to get through to them) they could have told me that this shock was incompatible with my frame. I waited two more days, after waiting four months just to get the shock, for tech support to return my phone call before cutting the 4.5" travel option off of my Giant AC Air's left side rocker arm in order to allow the air valve of the Roco to fit. Luckily, a guy up the road from me has a machine shop and I will hopefully be getting custom suspension arms built in the fall. Making the air valve perpendicular to the mount would have been a good idea in desgning this shock.

I'm stoked about the performance of the shock so far but a little annoyed about the wait and not being able to get in touch with Marzocchi to ask questions when it counted. I can't blame their technicians, it just seems like it's very difficult to get an actual person to talk to most of the time. When I was able to speak with someone, they were super helpful. I paid cost, but even at $175 retail this shock is a super deal.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Sid Air Xc
Topper-Hardy Hartwig Rohde   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2007]
Strength:

Super plush, feels more like a coil shock. Simple to set-up and effective rebound control. Looks great in a black Heckler. Negative air/bottom-out adjustment possible (thanks to "titusquasi").

Little bobbing. Huge air-canister might not fit in every frame (I had to mount it with the canister facing rear of the bike to fit a 2005 Heckler)

Bought the shock while I got the Vanilla RC pushed. If I would have known about the top performance before, I would have saved the money for pushing the Vanilla.
The Roco can not compete with the pushed Vanilla with regard to the overall perfomance and bobbing, but it performs much better than the regular Vanilla did.
I am using the bike mostly for trailriding and tours in the Alps and found the Roco to be the perfect match.
Thanks to "titusquasi" I am even able to adjust negative air/bottom out of the shock (see thread in let's talk about shocks).

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla RC & Pushed Vanilla RC
Mark   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2007]
Strength:

Unbelievably smooth. lighter than a coil, with the same feel. simple setup. Much lower air pressures than typical air shocks, so it should hold air better, and be more reliable.

None, and don't expect any.

I, like I'm sure many people have, had to wait a while to get this shock. After one ride on this shock, I was simply amazed! It was worth the wait, This shock feels way better than my Vanilla coil. Whats truly amazing is how good this shock is without any propedal, motion control, or SPV. It is an active shock, but thats what makes it erase the terrain so well. I also found out that the negative air spring is not fixed, but adjustable. Its a pretty trick little adjustment that uses the collar on the outside of the shock to manipulate the positive and negative air chambers. This shock performs like any other Product from Marz, smooth as butta. Just as the reviewer below said, this shock will change your bike. Anyone who has an older air shock on their bike, would benefit from putting one of these on. The only other ( that I now of )high volume low pressure shock like this one is the Rock shox Pearl, which I've heard is also great, but costs almost twice as much.

Similar Products Used: The Fox vanilla coil that came on the bike
James   Downhiller [May 24, 2007]
Strength:

Smoooth through the entire stroke, Feels like butter. Eats the bumps.

Yeah right, it's a Marzocchi

I had heard that this shock was good but it is better than I had expected. It really doesn't bob even though there is no pro-pedal or anything. I tried it out today at Towsley. I ride there 2 or 3 times a week, I know this place well and how my bike feels on this trail. Roger at NBC said it would change my bike and he was right. It seriously feels like a coil. It is so smooth. So unlike the lame Manitou that came on the bike. The rear feels smoother than the front on my bike now. I guess I have to play with fork to even it out.

This thing rails. I am trying to figure out how to get out of work tomorrow to ride it again, Viper here I come.

This shock may not be for the XC race guys but it I think it would work for the occasional racer. It is a little heavier than my Manitou but who cares. The Rocco R Air is PERFECT for the All Mountain dudes out there. $175.00 for a shock like this? All other companies take note, Marzocchi is kickin' your butts and they are doing it for a better price :)

Similar Products Used: Various Fox Shocks, Manitou Swinger
Eli   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2008]
Strength:

Performs well, bottoming resistance.

Marzocchi customer service/warranty = crap. Reliability = no good. Leaks air after 10 months. Damper is dead?!?! Pedal bob.

When I bought it, it was a bargain. It kept being a good deal for about ten months. Then the dampening unit went dead (no response to rebound dial) and it lost 75/115 PSI in about 3 days. The warranty doesn't apply, they want $125 to make it right. When it was actually working, it worked well, with some stiction and some pedal bob. It had a nasty tendency to loose about 10 PSI over a day's worth of hard riding, even when it was new. The major air loss after about 10 months is acceptable, but what exactly is 125 dollars to change oil and seals?!?!? Especially when it is still under warranty. In addition, about a week ago, before it just dumped its air, I noticed that my rebound dampener just stopped working. I think something in the system went wrong, it could be anything (cracked casing, stripped nob).

I should also note my friend had the same shock, In less time than I had mine he ovalized the air chamber, blew the seals twice, and wrecked a rebound dampener (all on separate occasions.) Only his seals were covered by the warranty.

Marzocchi recently outsourced production from Italy to the Suntour plant in Taiwan.

I don't recomend this shock as a permant fix, if it was still sub- $200 it would make a decent shock to use if your regular one dies (just until you get it back.) With prices over double of the original, I would just walk away. walk away.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek AD 12, older Fox vanilla AVA.