Manitou Swinger SPV Coil Rear Shock

Manitou Swinger SPV Coil Rear Shock

Featuring Stable Platform Valve (SPV) damping technology

[Apr 03, 2011]
MartyL76

Strength:

Tuneability
Fairly light
Looks good
Sensitive (if you set it up right)

Tuneability take a little time to get right.
SPV valve leaks down a little (checked after every ride, it loses about 15 psi.)

After tinkering with it for a few hours I finally got it set up. I absolutely love this fork, it really glues the wheel down when hitting big roots and mid size jumps. The SPV platform is flawless, in my opinion way better then the propedal. Keep in mind that you set it to your liking. I have it set tight, its a little chattery on the small stuff but on the bigger stuff it just laughs at it. I was skeptical after reading some of these reviews but some of these folks must not set it up right. I did have to fab up a custom shim to fit my frame but that was no biggie. BOTTOM LINE IS BUY THIS SHOCK!!!

Fox Vanilla R
Xfusion Glyde RL
Rock Shox Bar 2.1
Fox Float R

[Jan 19, 2011]
luke240z

Strength:

Absorbs medium to large drops OK. With the correct spring weight it can handle some fairly decent hits while the shock still remains in one piece.

Well after 3 months it completely snapped at the base and fell into two pieces after an average size landing. Being the owner of two dogs, I've seen some piles of poo in my time but this one is the clear winner.
The shock did not perform well on smaller bumps with little plushness which was a little firm for looser surface cornering.

I got it at bargain price which explains the poor quality. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Thanks Manitou for reminding me to spend my money elsewhere.

FOX RP23 Air, FOX RC4 = the business.

[Jan 03, 2011]
Manchicken
Downhiller

Strength:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i guess it did hold my bike up for a few rides

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6027011/ this is an 07 swinger 4x after less than 10 rides

if that doesnt say enough ill add that the adjustments do not work in the slightest except the reound which can just about make it feel a little less dead. i mean it did work until i snapped it (admittedly not down to the shock but down to a snapped linkage bolt)

worked for 2 rides and it snapped along with a linkage bolt. this is probably the best that could have happened to it as it didnt work for me and my agressive riding style, i mean i want my fork and shock to take the hits whilst i plow through them but this just didnt realy do that. the adjustments, dare i call them so, did absolute jack to how the shock felt infact when i did 'adjust' it it just felt worse. realy not impressed with this shock so wont be buying a new one especialy not for the piss taking price of 275 quid.

fox rp2 (worked better and it was on a 4x bike

[Jul 28, 2009]
#1downhill
Downhiller

Strength:

Really nice, looks cool, I really like this shock

Bouncy and it cant be ajusted, no matter what, but is still fine, not to big of a deal

After about a year the shock gets really bouncy, BUT it doesn't really affect the performance, and in my mind it makes it better, it doesn't buck you over, but on rock gardens your rear wheel goes right back down to the ground. If you ride AM, FR, DH, XC, get this shock.

5th Element, Fox Vanilla, Fox DHX 5.0

[Dec 15, 2008]
steveo-dh
Downhiller

Strength:

nice and smooth on the dh track

was working good then the rebound was real fast. can not slow it down then the rebound nob fell off

works well if it is working

[Aug 13, 2008]
Cooch
Downhiller

Strength:

Looks good with lots of adjustability

Read below.

One afternoon of serious downhilling to dial the bike in on its first hit out and I snapped the shaft where it meets the rebound adjust end. Failed bushings??? No! Everthing was still moving ok. I'm not what I would regard as a hard rider on gear and I only weigh 70kg, but it failed nonetheless. Maybe 10 runs of a 2k light downhill trail. Hmmmmmm... No after sale service in Australia and Manitou can't decide which distributor to stay with - no spare parts to fix. It's a write off.

Manitou Intrinsic SX6 Air, Fox DHX Coils

[Jul 08, 2008]
vilneff33
Downhiller

Strength:

Wow, its wide range of adjustability is great and is so sensitive, it came on my bike which was raced downhill for many years and has all new internals(seals, etc..)
i havent had a problem with this shock, except that the frame i have, it is hard to access the adjusment knobs,

absolutly nothing

best shock i've ever riddin, love it soo much. ill never use anything but. exceptionaly well with a Floating rear brake

nothing that measures up to this

[Jun 08, 2008]
lifesgod

Strength:

I purchased an Intense M3 Frame new, which had sat on the shelf for a few years unused, big mistake as it came with a 6 way swinger. I have used the shock since November 2007 and it has failed 3 times ! Same issue SPV valve failure.

Since I have owned this bike the shock has failed regularly every 3 months. The shock has been repaired by the bike shop, however this shock is the most unreliable product I have used. I have raced with a DHX 5 on an Orange 224 for two years with faultless performance, however this shock is a dud !!!!!!! Not Happy !!!!

5th Elelement,Fox DHX 5

[Mar 06, 2006]
Pierre-Alexandre Blanche
Downhiller

Strength:

Works well when it works

Oh my gosh, does this shock has ever work a single race

Save your money, do NOT buy this thing.

My concern is the rebound which came out of control after a few moments. First it performs well, but quickly, it do not work any more on the fist few millimeters then centimeters then at all!

This shock goes back for inspection under warranty 4 times! it came back working properly under "garage inspection" but after a single downhill, the rebound fail each times, becoming dangerous and slaming loudly.

They try to change de piggy bag 3 times but it fails. Changing valves and oil fails too.

I heard this problem occure on several 6 ways SPV's and the 4 ways is safe.

Please if you fix this type of problem write me the trick! My only option now is to uy a DHX!

none, till now

[Oct 10, 2005]
Jesse McCollum
Downhiller

Strength:

supports the swing arm of my bike, making it rideable

it blows up

this shock blew out on me during race and d@mn near got me hurt. Upon landing a SMOOTH 30 ft. gap at a race, the shock came apart, loosing all rebound control, when I landed the bike pogo'ed like a bucking bronco sending me flying through the air...... save your money and buy a DHX5.0..... by the way, manitou's customer service sucks balls..... working in a shop I deal with them a lot, and dealing with any companies customer service a lot, is never a good thing.

too broke to buy anything else