Manitou Swinger SPV Air Rear Shock

Swinger SPV Air

Featuring Stable Platform Valve (SPV) damping technology

MattZo   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2009]
Strength:

Reliability and tuning options

Difficulty in getting precise pressures

I regard myself as heavy at around 225lbs. I was worried about the shock blowing on rocky downhill sections but have not suffered any issues at all. I think that it is probably more to do with the leverages of the frame but i rarely get close to bottoming out the shock with the sag set to 35% and the SPV valve wound right out. Maybe I'm just not aggressive enough!

Similar Products Used: Fox coil shocks
jSatch   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2008]
Strength:

Swinger 3-way: Smooth, good SPV, no leaks after setting.
Best feature- set and forget

SPV valve leaks when detaching pump. It leaks reliably 15psi, so I just over-inflate by 15 psi. Odd, not same issue when filling main chamber. Not really a weakness once you are aware of it.
Not quite a coil ride (but lighter).

I prefer this to the Fox. I like the set and forget. Too many times I've forgotten to switch out the lockout of the Fox until I'm going downhill. My bad. The Swinger SPV does a nice job when climbing, so no switch needed. One less thing to grab for, or think about, when riding.
I get the feeling that the Swinger is smoother, less bouncy than the Fox. Different bikes, so not sure. Still not a coil. I haven't tried the Fox RP23 model though.
Your milage may vary.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float
Mike Sinkoski   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2008]
Strength:

adjustability, and serviceability

this is for the 3 way spv air, shock is bottomless feeling with a platform that keeps all that supple travel from sapping your power. the rebound can be adjusted from none to dead slow and the air pressures are less than the same sag on a fox shock, anyone thinking of upgrading a older rig with a newer shock with spv wont be sorry. This shock transforms the suspension feel of my fsr that it feels like a new bike. I dont know if a rp23 is comparable but it seems that there is only 3 settings for the platform where the swinger is infinately adjustable.

Similar Products Used: fox float
joker24   Cross Country Rider [Oct 06, 2008]
Strength:

Super adjustable, doesn't leak, very smooth

This shock is light, durable, and only needs to be set up once. Every aspect of the shock is adjustable, and the directions are very simple to follow. The SPV platform works well and really improves the efficiency of a single pivot frame like the Joker. If you have an older single pivot frame you love but are wishing for a more efficient ride, this is definitely a cheap way to get a lot more performance out of your ride.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla R
wisemonkey72   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2008]
Strength:

smooth performance, easy to set up, rebound adjust works pretty nice. spv valve is a nice feature. really nice xc shock.

why oh why oh why does the airvalve screw into the shock body, this is a really lame design. i find it really fiddly inflating as the valve seems to come loose whenever i remove my pump.

i like the shock i really do, this bike has had alo of action this summer and the swinger laps up the downhills and climbs lovely, works really nicely with my u turns. but the airvalve is a real shame. my i drive is now in the hands of my girlfriend as i have a new machine now, and i have to say i will be sticking with fox shocks from now on.

Similar Products Used: all the fox ones,fox float, rp2,rp23
darrinw2001   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2008]
Strength:

adjustability, SPV is great for no pedal bob

none yet, I do have to pump a litle air in before every ride, but being over 260lbs, i expect that

So far so good for a larger "Clydesdale" rider. I needed air shocks due to my size and this has fit the bill so far. I got a great deal on this bike used on Craig's list, and so far my favorite thing about it is the shock and the Manitou Black Super Air forks! I hve put it to test on some pretty rough trails so far and have not bottomed out yet.

Similar Products Used: coil over
Bryan Corbridge   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2008]
Strength:

This is for the 3 way swinger with SPV. Light weight, multiple adjustments and good customer service.

None so far.

I recently purchased this shock on E-bay just rebuilt by Manitou. I was looking to replace my coil over shock for something with less pedal bob but with the smoothness I need. I researched every shock on the market extensively and found that the Manitou offered the features I was looking for. I was right. Love the adjustability. Seems to be almost endless possibilities. You can set it up as firm or soft as you like. I set it up to be plenty active to supply the smoothness but enough air in the SPV to offer the pedaling efficiency I needed. Set the rebound in the medium and I have a shock that is smooth and efficient. Love it!!! Granted I've only had the shock for a short period of time, but will submit another sometime down the road.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla.
Matthew   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2008]
Strength:

This review is for the 4-Way. The air valves are easy to get to. The platform works really well on single pivot bikes and exceptional on Faux Bar bikes. The bottom-out feature is nice for clydesdales. Rebound very responsive to adjustments

It took me a while to learn how to set up the shock, but I was just learning. Small bump compliance is so so, but it is a platform shock.

This a great rear shock for do it all use. I originally put on my GF Cake and it provided a more plush ride with the ability to take bigger hits. Only experience a small amount of pedal bob in second and third chainrings while cranking. On the Jamis it is super smooth. I have been able to tune it to nearly bottom about 10% of the time leaving the remainder of the riding smooth. No pedal bob with minimal pressure in the SPV. I don't set sag because I blow through travel too quickly and at 210+ lbs the shock has held up really well. The Cake shock has over 500 miles on it and Jamis shock has 600 miles on it. I have thought about replacing it but for no good reason other trying something else. No complaints, no problems, 5 psi air changes in main chamber make a big difference.

Similar Products Used: Fox DHX Air,
Bruce Edge   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2003]
Strength:

Incredible climbing efficiency.
Plush for an air shock.

The pedals felt strangely decoupled form the rear wheel when I was
standing climbing over big rocks slowly. It's as if the first bit of pedal
energy goes to taking up slack in the shock. That took some getting used
to.

If you sit and spin though, this shock kicks ass. Normally I expect some
bounce climbing going over bumps. There is none. That's all there is to
it. It's gone. I found myself standing a lot less often as this shock is
so much more efficient when you keep your butt in the saddle. I know this
was true because I was keeping up with the XC racer crowd in our group who
usually ditch everyone with bikes over 22 lbs. FWIW the giant is 31.

The compression stroke feels as plush as oil, and the rebound dampening
actually works, which is more that I can say for Fox air shocks.

I didn't fiddle with it as it wasn't my bike so I can't comment on the
adjustability.

Eric B   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2007]
Strength:

easy to set up if you don't try and overthink it

too early to tell...will write more if it ends up sucking like most of the Manitou shocks!

this shock changed my whole bike and possibly saved me the money of buying a whole new frame. the old fox float rc was like riding a pogo stick. Not sure how I did it for so long. that said the new p/p technology is pretty darn good.

I just rode the swinger-i'm using the 3 way-last night for the first time. I ride 5 days a week and weigh 190 lbs. I try and brake the bike or myself everytime I ride and crank the biggest gears possible (I ride a 1x1 when I'm not on the superlight). however, I may ride the 1x1 less. because the swinger three has made the single pivot superlight climb like a hard tail...only better since it gives just enough that I don't spin the back wheel when I'm standing up on the bike. Otherwise the rear end is immobile until i hit something at which point it moves upward.

on descents it railed and was very plush. This canged the whole ride of the bike and enabled me to push harder and go faster since I could keep my body weight where I wanted it and not get bucked by the pogo-ing shock.

I am running at about 105 in the main chamber and 55 in the spv chamber. I guess the accepted rule is to ride it at 15 lbs below your body weight in the main but that is crazy. The shock didn't move when I did that. and I like a very firm rear-end! I set the rebound on the slow side of the middle of the range. I perhaps haven't found the "sweet spot" that everybody is looking for but it's sick and I probably won't fu*&k with it too much. Honestly, the bike rides way better than any of the blurs or yeti's that I've riden with a variety of shocks. All of the VPPs that I've riden have bounced after being "set-up" by the shop guys. If any body has studied physics or rides by feel as much as they think they do then you know that force or motion down and into the suspension saps your energy forward. riding a plush, sagged out overpriced frame is not for me. firm up your ride, gear up and ride faster.