Manitou Radium R Rear Shock

Radium R

The all-new Radium line of air shocks is designed with performance, durability, weight, and cost in mind. Based on the same overall structure as our high end Swinger air shocks, The Radium R introduce Platform Plus Damping, a more cost effective alternative to SPV that offers platform damping for improved efficiency and bump control.

dahockeyplyr   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2012]
Strength:

Smooth, great rebound.

Feels great, real smooth. I've used many different fox shocks and I feel that this one is a better shock for a cheaper price.

Similar Products Used: Many types of fox and rock shocks.
VERTIGO2   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2011]
Strength:

Great damping, rebound adjuster actually works, light, reliable, pedaling platform works as advertised without being obnoxious.

No longer available.

Awesome shock. It has given me faithful service for many years. Neither my 220 pound fatty fat body nor my abusive teenage son could destroy this thing.

Similar Products Used: Fox, Cane Creek.
freerider33   Downhiller [Feb 17, 2011]
Strength:

Lightweight.Works.

None.

Worked great on the Cannondale Prophit.I weigh 200# & had 150psi of air in the shock. The Prophit was too small so i'm selling that frame.
I put the RadiumR shock on a large Haro Extreme X.1 frame & it works the same being a single pivot.It's pretty plush & the rebound works.
What i do like about an air shock is it's so lightweight.Although i wouldn't feel comfortable doing any kind of drops or anything in fear of blowing it up.Anything more than normal xc & trail riding i would get a Fox-RC coil,Swinger coil or similiar.

Similar Products Used: None.Always been coil shocks.
ueda_sheffwa   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2010]
Strength:

Super tough shock... SPV works better than fox's propedal... after 5 years and tons of abuse it still works nearly as good.. rebound seems to have slowed down a little. Servicing it might fix that though.

No compression control... Bottoms out easy.. made more for xc riding and you have to pump up the shock a ton to make it ride able bigger drops or jumps

I felt compelled to write this after reading the reviews. I never really thought highly of this shock until I got my replacement rp2... first ride on the rp2 it got stuck down in its travel now I'm sending it back for a rebuild although I don't think it would really make it that much better. Now the Radium is back on and I'm having fun. I really do think this pedals better than a fox float r. I'd give it 5 for overall if it didn't bottom out so harshly

Similar Products Used: Rockshox bar. Fox float r, float rl, float rp2, vanilla r, 5th element coil. Marz Roco WC
sergiotrindade   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2010]
Strength:

It is Simple, Smooth, inexpensive and Holds air pressure for a long time.

The rebound setting does not work at all. The calibration chart does not seem suitable for most trails.

It is a very inexpensive shox. Even so it really works on xc trails. Forget what the first guy written below on this review.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float R
Cory5129   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2009]
Strength:

Simple and durable. Holds air.

Stiff Ride. Rebound control doesn't seem to make any difference no matter where it's set. Not plush at all and travel isn't smooth.

I upped the size of my Prophet frame and this shock came with the new frame. My old frame came with a Fox Float R. I wasn't impressed with this shock compaired to the Float R. If It comes with the bike and you don't want to upgrade right away, I'd use the Radium R until it needs replacement, but wouldn't buy it aftermarket.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float R
specopsteam   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2008]
Strength:

This product is very very simple. two inputs once for the air and the other for rebound control

Very stiff ride on all settings. Bottoms out very easy

This shock was a mix up and wasnt suppose to be on my bike but while im waiting for my new DHX 5.0 ive done some riding with this shock. This shock is very simple and would best suit someone whose doing XC. Very stiff ride bottoms out easy and is not plush at all. Ive messed with the one setting there is and am not able to get any better ride from it. If you will be doing anything more then riding well groomed trails stay away from this shock. It does not handle well in turns multi humps or large drops(not that i though it would but being the dumb a** i am i wanted to try anyways). There is no High or Low speed compression on this shock and the rebound tends to through you on full compression.

Greg   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2007]
Strength:

Product came on Haro Sonix VL120. Easy to tune and literally floats over roots, bumps on trails. No pedal bobbing at all combined with VLS system. Makes bike feel very snappy and crisp, more efficient like a Hardtail, feels great climbing, descending yet Handles rough terrain with a sense of plushness, excellent feel for the rider though the frame geometry has a lot to do with it's performance on the Sonix VL120.

Can't find any to mention

This is my first air shock, it is literally like a magic carpet ride compared to the FD coil and other coil shocks used on other bikes.Amazing but still maintains a sense of rigidity that is lost on coil shocks when set to a softer setting for more comfort. Only time will tell how long it holds up though, so far seems to hold air for several weeks after several 3 hour rides. 60-70% air to your body weight and it's close. I weigh 175 and 105 pounds of air pressure is about right for me.

Similar Products Used: none yet
Bret Bernard   Racer [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Simple, Light, Very good Damping for what it costs. Very reliable.

Like the reviewer below, the rebound does not dial in to be quick enough. Too slow.

Until Manitou came out with this shock, all I ever used was Fox. Fox Shox Sux!!! They make great forks, but Manitou damping is far superior. Even this, their cheapest shock, is better that Fox's best. Read the other reviews. Except for the 1st guy who gave up because he didn't have enough brains to check the schrader valve insert.