Manitou Q-Air Rear Shock

“Q” air shocks are designed with performance, durability, weight, and cost in mind.

oddestfellow   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2010]
Strength:

Lockout, doesn't lose air

Tend to bump lockout with my leg when it's activated on occasion

I haven't had any of the issues that some of the other folks on here have had with this shock, and I've ridden on it for over 3 years. Each spring when I dig the bike out of the shed, I expect to have to pump it full of air, but the loss after sitting even for a couple months is pretty minimal. Usually I'm not a big fan of Manitou stuff, but this came with my frame and I figured I'd just ride it until it broke, and it's still going strong!

Discopooh   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2008]
Strength:

It works, no problems. Loses zero air, nuff said - I'm using the QRL

None to speak of.

Buy this shock if you can find it and want a pump up and forget shock. tweaking rebound makes the world of differance and the lock out helps on those climbs.

Similar Products Used: Fox float 230
mark b.   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2007]
Strength:

holds air well, adjustments make a difference, light but sturdy

rebound & lockout only -- could use compression

i believe this shock will outlast the frame! never figured an air shock would handle my big a$$, but this one does just fine. lockout works VERY well, and rebound adjustment responds, makes a difference.

Similar Products Used: swinger 3-w, coilover crap
Mike   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2006]
Strength:

light, does what's it supposed to. No problems for past year. Has rebound and Lockouot

none when regular maintenance done to it.

It's rear shock, I have had no problems with air. When property maintained and cleaned holds air.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float, For Float RL
joe phipps   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2003]
Strength:

clean looking ,good customer service at answer.

never got to use product and lock out stopped working on test ride down driveway.not adjustable enough.

I am very disapointed with the shock this is my first experience with manitou products & hope this is not a sign of things to come

Similar Products Used: fox float rl,rock shock deluxe,noleen coil over.
Ned   [Oct 28, 2005]
Strength:

Light, reliable. great on the small stuff. Rebound knob very easy to use (insead of the click wheel that fox uses)

Havn't had any yet.

I have had this shock for 2 years now. I have had no problems to speak of. Its a pretty good shock. It is suprisingly smooth, though it does get a little progressive near the last 1/3rd of the stroke. Set up with the correct sag and it does a great job on the little bumps. Was way cheaper than a fox- Good value!

Similar Products Used: Fox float RL, Flox Float AVA.
hcampian   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2006]
Strength:

Solid lockout
Good absorbtion

Sometimes lockout doesn't work, sometimes it does
No rebound adjustment (QL version) and the factory rebound tuning is a little too fast

The review is for the QL version (without lockout)

It works well, no air/oil losses, but I'd like some kind of rebound adjustment. I can't figure it out why the lockout sometimes failes to activate. However, it never lets me down on trails, only when testing it without riding. It's quite odd. When it wotks, the lockout is rock-solid and helps a lot for difficult climbs.

I think I'll keep it until it breaks, and I'll replace it with a more technically advanced RS MC or Ario.

Similar Products Used: none
Damian Browne   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2005]
Strength:

Nothing stands out, works well though no better than an equivalent RockShox.

The lockout. On the first QRL I had, the lock out failed after less than 10miles, most of which was on road. The replacement has just given out after about 50miles xc riding. In conclusion, it is obviously very badly designed and a waste of time, don't waste good money on this product!!

Don't waste money on a Maniou QRL, it will need replacing very quickly!! Buy a Rockshox, quality!! The bike has not been riden hard, no drop offs of jumps, just normal xc enduro riding, and for the second time the lock out no longer works.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox SID xc
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2004]
Strength:

When it worked, it worked well. The lockout is nice.

Leaked oil badly at the rebound adjuster knob after using it on my new bike for < 1 month. Sent it back to Manitou to be repaired/replaced.

Shock may have questionable reliability. Manitou has replaced it with the Radium, which may be telling. Since the shock has been discontinued for reasons unknown, I would go with the Radium instead.

Similar Products Used: none.
Lois Rubin   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2005]
Strength:

Holds air for about half an hour

This shock lost at 25% to 30% of its air pressure in every 1.5 to 2 hour cross-country ride. Answer Products said that they would "work" with my local bike shop to fix it but all they did was send what turned out to be a permanent loaner of lesser quality with the exact same problem. Over 4 months have passed with no word from Answer as to the status of my shock. My bike shop says that Answer never returns their phone calls.

My new shock will not be by Answer.

Similar Products Used: Just the 2 broken shocks discussed above.