Fox Shox TALAS Rear Shock

T.ravle A.djustable L.inear A.ir S.pring

• Single Schrader air-vlave allows easy one-time tuning setup
  • On the fly adjustment of the eye-to-eye length from "Extended" to "-1/4" shorter and "-1/2" shorter. As eye-to-eye length changes, so does shaft travel
  • The TALAS system automatically adjusts air pressure for the perfect ride at each travel setting and also has a larger air-volume to flatten out the spring curve achieving a less progressive, more "Linear" feel.
  • On the fly lock-out lever with big bump compression blow-off circuit
  • Precision CNC machined parts throughout
  • By changing the shocks eye-to-eye length, the bicycle frame geometry can be altered to suit any trail or riding style.
  • Self-adjusting negative air spring
  • Nitrogen charge with internal floating piston

Derek   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

Very adjustable, lockout comes in handy on steep smooth climbs, plush ride

No compression adjuster, no handle bar mounted thumb lockout lever, the '04 shocks with ProPedal should be a lot nicer for minor bob control

I have yet to bottom out this shock. Works great and as promised. No leaks of air or oil. Rarely use the variable heigth control option but the lockout I use on the fly ALOT. I usually just keep it on full extend travel and enjoy the great plush ride with minor bobing. Drop the extend feature, add compression damping adj with ProPedal and this shock would be killer!!!

Similar Products Used: Stock shock on '02 Sugar 3+
Ben   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2007]
Strength:

Very easy to adjust, installtion and setup took less than a half hour. Soaks up hard and fast hits with no problems like riding a cloud. I am over 200 lbs. and a 5-6 foot drop is no problem. I have not been able to bottom this unit out yet.

None yet!!

Really easy to set up and adjust for all types of riding. Never loses air pressure even stored or riding in cold temp. I have about 7 inches of rear travel with this shock, basically if your are willing to ride over it, it soak it up. Very plush and can be adjusted quickly for different conditions.

When I first got this shock the seals weeped a bit but according to the local bike store this is normal.

All that being said great shock, go buy one if you can find a store with NOS sitting on the self.

Similar Products Used: Kind Shock(POS)
Gordy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2006]
Strength:

Nearly infinite adjustment
Good rebound control and dampning
Plush ride quality

None yet

This shock kicks butt!! It actually improves my ability! Took a while to get set up for my riding style but once it was...Holy Sh_t! NO pedal bob! Climbs great even when not locked. Does downhill and drops like you're riding a frickin' sofa! I had to purchase a Fox 100RLC because it brings out all the bad qualities of my Rock Shox Psylo. Just find one and put it on! You will be impressed!

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla R w/ProPedal
Noleen
Albert   Downhiller [Dec 29, 2003]
Strength:

Rapid adjustment of rear suspension travel settings. Very smooth ride on rough trails.

Wish it could have a remote lever for quicker travel changes on wavy terrain.

Been riding hard, fast and often for one year on some tough trails with no problems from the Fox TALAS on my Trek Liquid 20. Love the ability to change the shock length (usually while in motion) to match the downhill or uphill ride.

Similar Products Used: Don't know of another similar product. Other adjustable rear suspensions require unbolting and moving shock mount.
Old Proflexer   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2003]
Strength:

very adjustable

makes a lot of noise

pic of mounted shock:

not happy at all at this time.

i purchased the shock and mounted as pictured. was having fun with the adjustability but now i was hearing a sound that i had not heard before - a rattling, like a marble inside a cup. the sound was coming from the smaller, length adjustment housing.

i contacted via email the fox c.s. department and they indicated that the shock should not be making any noise as i was describing. they gave me an ra number and i sent the shock in, they serviced it (i think) and promptly sent it back. i remounted it, took it for a spin and it was making more noise that it had before.

the shock works as advertised but is noisy as all get out and i'm contacting the company to see if they will either clarify the problem, try to fix it again, upgrade the shock to maybe an rl if that will help or something.

the rattling is unacceptable and i'd advise caution before buying one of these.

here's a link to my K2 Bikes Tech Forum - I'm letting many of our posters know what's happening and if and how it'll get resolved

"Old Proflexer"
Nicholas P. Halapoff

1 chili for value as the noise is obnoxious
1 chili overall for the same reason

Similar Products Used: just about every rear shock that will fit my bike
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2004]
Strength:

Reliability -- quality of construction. Fox warranty dept.

This product works as advertised. Has a solid feel under pedaling pressure. Height adjust works and is fun to experiment with - but you soon find your favorite settings. No leaks no problems -- solid warranty dept -- what else can you ask? my suggestion to prolexer below is that he first get himself a bike from the 20th century - then upgrade .... if his choice makes sense.

Similar Products Used: Practically every shock and fork known to man for the last 20 years.
VelvetHog   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2004]
Strength:

Great adjustability. This shock if capable of being VERY plush. It holds air for long periods of time. It can be set to handle casual riding or semi aggresive descents equally. It really eats up rocky sections. The ultimate air shock for Moab type riding.

From my point of view I know of none.

TAKE THE TIME TO DIAL IN THIS SHOCK. It makes a very large difference in the handling. If the pressure is too high for your weight/riding style the shock can be harsh and skittish. If you dial it in it is extremely plush. There is a fine line between getting it set too soft and bottoming it often and getting it set too firm and losing most of its performance. I am talking about a difference of 5 to 10 psi of air pressure. Once it is dialed it is truly impressive.

My seals weaped a bit at first. The main shaft would be damp with oil (no drips) at first, but only while riding. I emailed Fox about this. They assured me that it was normal. After some miles (about 300) the oil seeping stopped completely. I theorize that the seals took that long to seat in. Also my front TALAS seals were exactly the same and took even longer to stop weaping than the rear.

Similar Products Used: Vanilla, 5th Element
Jay   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2004]
Strength:

Plush Ride, adjustability

No Compression Adjustment, Oil running down shock shaft

Shock leaked oil very slightly when new, then stopped leaking until I rode it in sub-freezing weather. Then someone turned on the faucet. With only 500 miles or so on this unit I can only wonder if there is any oil left in the shock. Fox states that this is "normal" and I should not be alarmed. I was born at night, but not last night. Oh, my fox forks leak just as much.

Similar Products Used: None
Sean   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2004]
Strength:

-Great shock
-adjustabilty
-weight
-looks

This rear shock is great. It really eats up all the bumps and big rocks. Just get the pressure right. Great shock

DLH   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2003]
Strength:

Works as advertised -- reliable -- holds air without leaking -- works silently and with no fuss.

None --

This rear shock combined with the Trek four bar rear suspension works extraordinarily well. Seems to reach a good compromise between pedal efficiency and plushness with relative ease. Talas feature works as advertised. Unlike the Proflexer I have never heard a peep out of my shock -- I recommend that he turn the shock right side up - I don't know but it may make a difference to the rebound lockout feature. Anyway, this is without queston, in my mind, the best Fox Air schock I have ever used - and I have used and liked them all. 'Nuff said - if you are looking for easy rear travel adjustability with Fox reliability this is your shock.