Fox Shox Float Rear Shock

Fox Shox Float Rear Shock

• High volume standard air sleeve
  • Lightweight chassis
  • Air spring pressure

[Feb 12, 2007]
John

Strength:

Does what a rear shock should do to make it a soft ride, from a hardtail to a softail, like riding in a Cadillac.

The defective air sleeve seals found on the 2001,2002 models was made up of the in-correct rubber compound. If the shock has to go back to Fox, then you got yourself one heck of a long wait on your hands (1-3months).

When you first try-out a full suspension bike, it'll ruin you for hardtails. It did for me! But then again I was looking for a softer ride on the crumbling asphalt streets in Mississauga, Toronto, Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby & Oshawa. The difference was definitely noticeable, like comparing the ride of a Fait Polski (no suspension & a tiny [go-kart sized/powered] motor) to that of any 1990 or newer Cadillac. The shock started to leak air 10 lbs in a week or 20 lbs in a month since July 2005. I read online soon after that - the defective air sleeve seals found on the 2001,2002 models was made up of the in-correct rubber compound. If the shock has to go back to Fox, then you got yourself one heck of a long wait on your hands (1-3months).
I got my shock back in less then 1 week as my LBS had the correct seals instock. The seals were a mere $5 but cost $20 to service then (I thought the costs would of been the other way round). Had I known this, I'd of taken my bike in for service back in 2005. I'm a clydesdale rider of 190-210 lbs, I set the shock to 150-180 lbs and ride asphalt streets, cement sidewalks and waterfront bike paths mainly.
Bottom Line: A very good Fox Racing Shock and the next bike I'll buy will have the RC (rebound & compression features) & longer travel.