Fox Shox FLOAT RP3 Rear Shock

The lightest, easiest to use, oil damped air shock on the market continues to evolve. For 2006, we've broadened the ProPedal and rebound adjustment ranges and increased the detent feeling on the lever. Our new proprietary ProPedal system provides increased threshold and flatter compression curves for greater efficiencty and improved traction. These new compression settings have been carefully matched to the linear spring rate of our high-volume air canister.

Weight: .43 lbs/ 195 g
Lengths: 5.5x1.0, 6.0x1.25, 6.5x1.5, 7.5x2.0, 7.875x2.0
External Adjustments:
-Air spring pressure
-DOHC ProPedal with 3 positions
-Rebound damping

zspeedee   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2010]
Strength:

Smooth as butter feel on progressive bumps w/o any major drops. An excellent xc rear shock that feels planted on uphills (PP closed) and plush during the quick decents (PP open). Creates confidence in riding ability due to the additional control through smoothness. Easy to adjust and the Pro Pedal works great!

Rebound does need to be adjusted to maintain a plush ride. Shock is probably best suited for lightweight riders like myself.

An excellent shock coming from a bottom-end air vanilla that is leagues ahead in technology. Was planning on upgrading bikes but this rear shock w/the Betd link makes the bike feel more modern (99'spec) and will have to do until I get better. Most people complain about reliability but so far its been good to me so no complaints. Tossed in about 20 miles so far and no "stuck-down" so far. If it dies, it will definitely get PUSHED or replaced w/a RP23 or Cloud9.

Similar Products Used: Fox Air Vanilla
jersey0826   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2009]
Strength:

Pretty smooth ride on most trails. Handles small drops OK, and has held up well under abuse. Light weight, and looks good on my bike. Rebound damping works well.

The pro-pedal doesn't seem to do ANYTHING. I see no difference in sag, compression, travel, or rebound. I don't know about the factory settings as another poster mentioned, but there is no indication of firm or soft on my shock. I don't know if the function is broken, or if it doesn't do much to begin with.

This shock came on the frame, which I built-up from scratch otherwise. I have found no reason to upgrade to another shock since it has worked well for me and the type of riding I do. The only complaint is the lack of stiffness with the Pro-Pedal lever. It would be nice to have a lockout for those steep climbs. If and when I do upgrade, it will be to something with a true lockout. Aside from this, I have enjoyed this shock, and would recommend it. I consider myself lucky after reading so many reviews complaining of the Stuck-Down problem. Maybe Fox has fixed this problem? Or maybe I have just been lucky...

Similar Products Used: Fox float R.
Subaroo1   Cross Country Rider [Aug 13, 2008]
Strength:

Light, good adjustment

I have only used this shock for a short time and it has worked great for me.
Ensure you purchase the correct RP3 for your bike! the RP3 can be purchased with light, medium or firm factory set ProPedel (denoted by the sticker on it) and this can not be adjusted by the lever. It you have purchased the light factory set ProPedal the lever on the firmest setting will not make a big difference (read the manual, it's online)

Similar Products Used: Manitou Radium, Fox RL and Fox R.
REM   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight. OK damping. Propedal is nice when it works. Doesn't leak.

Damping is OK most of the time, but gets overwhelmed riding fast over really rough terrain (compared to a swinger for instance). Pretty bouncy when the pro-pedal is off. Compression and rebound damping seems to wear out over time. Shock gets hot easily.

Had a couple of these shocks, all have slowly worn out so that the rebound damping has to be almost completely closed to do anything and the pro-pedal no longer has any effect. The frustrating part is that the shock isn't worked over, it just the internals that seem to be shot. Seems like a short lived product that either has to be replaced or serviced often to keep working properly.

Similar Products Used: RS SID, various Swinger air shocks.
Chris   Weekend Warrior [May 11, 2008]
Strength:

-Pro Pedal works as advertised. Very effective.
-Light weight shock
-Compression adjust
-Easy to pump and maintain shock.

-Blow through travel too quickly.

IMO, the shock blows through travel too quickly. I set the correct PSI according to my weight and sag. Too much PSI, and you lose the plush feeling. Not designed for big drops, even though I still abuse it. Its still working perfect, no stuck problems. For trail riding, its perfect, very plush and responsive. XC is even better for Pro Pedal usage.

Good shock. Works, set it and forget it. Just probably not the shock for me. I like to freeride and hit big drops.

I'm hoping it doesn't crap out on me like it did for the others.

Carl Stump   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2006]
Strength:

My Fox fork works great.

This shock got "STUCK DOWN" on my first ride,which was on a gravel road with hardly any bumps.

I am really bummed. I paid alot for my bike, and I sure hope that they can fix this fast and permenant. Ithought that was how the shock was supposed to be. After several other rides I was happy with the front fork but thought the rear shock sucked. I was right.I cant wait till it is fixed so that I can see if it is all it is cracked up to be,and ride my bike again.

Tim Mathes   Weekend Warrior [Aug 27, 2007]
Strength:

Simplicity

Would like a "no platform" setting as well.

Set the sag. Find the platform you like. Forget about it.
Excellent shock for my 230 lbs. I did these 3 steps and have not had to touch the shock since. I wonder what the RP23 would be like, but, I don't need, or want, an upgrade. I simply do not think about my suspension anymore. I consider it "done". I trail ride with a XC mindset, as far as style and equipment goes.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float RL
Rodney Service   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2007]
Strength:

Came on a nice bike (Stumpy 120)
Compared to some of the other comments about this shock, I think I was lucky!
My retailer kindly agreed to pay for half of the repair costs despite MOJOs warranty refusal.

STUCK-DOWN 'tm' just outside first year of warranty (supposedly 2 year, but if you don't pay to have the shock overhauled in the first year the second year will not be honoured!, effectively - you pay handsomely for second years warranty ).
Shock was very little used and hadn't even worn out its first bushing (Stumpies of this vintage are well known to wear-out bushes SUPER FAST so this gives you some idea of the limited use this shock has had)
Shock was spotless and totally undamaged, I get through very little kit and 'ride light'.
Despite a warning IN THE MANUAL about the 'Stuck-Down'tm' problem, and the immaculate,hardly used condition of my shock MOJO (Fox's UK importers) refused to honour the warranty.

Avoid FOX products!
If you're not a sponsored rider or simply very wealthy, you'll be paying through the nose for the high failure rate.
The high investment is not rewarded with reliability, granted the products work well, BUT ONLY WHILE THEY WORK.
The problem I experienced with this shock is even warned of in the owners manual! it happens independent of wear and tear, to undamaged products, yet the customer is forced to bear the cost of repair.
I would give this shock a slightly higher rating if it were cheaper and were also backed up by reasonable after-sales, then the reasonably high performance might make the failure rate more bearable, not acceptable, just bearable.
All manufacturers have failures, this is a fact of life, but should a high price marque like Fox suffer so many? and be so reluctant to honour it's warranty?
All the above is just my opinion, from my perspective.
The bottom line is YOU decide where to invest your hard earned cash, my advice?, SPEND IT ELSEWHERE!

Similar Products Used: I am a full-time highly qualified bicycle mechanic, and worked (to my shame) at a store which sold Fox kit both OEM and after-market, considering that Fox kit is top-dollar my experience of fault returns and the resulting warranty dodging by MOJO and Fox was quite an eye-opener.
I have witnessed MANY Fox product failures which I would personally consider warranty issues which were turned down for what I believe to be bogus reasons, or ignored as 'not a problem' (e.g. creaking between fork crown and stantions!)
These are not isolated complaints that you are reading about here, be warned!
Nathaniel   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2007]
Strength:

Looks nice.
Is lightweight.

Everything. Clunks, clicks and gives you a headache from all the noise it makes. Rebound is too slow. Propedal is too soft in the firm setting. Heats up easily. Fox customer servive sucks. Worst CS in the industry.
I hate Fox. Buy anything other than Fox. Manitou, Zocchi, Cane Creek....

Don't buy this..."thing."

I don't like Fox, as you can tell. Luckily I have not yet encountered the stuck down thing.

Similar Products Used: DHX coil, Manitou Swinger 3-Way air, Manitou SLR, and a few others.
Rick Ostanek   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2006]
Strength:

I only got to ride my new bike for 100 feet.

Shox stuck in the down position on the first ride in my driveway.

I've heard there have been a few problems with the 06 RP3's. I'm sure it will be fine when I get it back from repairs but a little disapointing on the first ride on a new expensive bike. I've had lots of Fox products with no problems at all so I am confident it will be fine when I get it back.