Fox Shox Float RP23 Rear Shock

The mountain bike air shock that started a suspension revolution. The Float line packs a ton of performance and pedaling efficiency into a lightweight package, for XC racing to All-mountain riding.

Dylan   All Mountain Rider [Nov 05, 2014]
Strength:

Good,smooth

Not good for huge impact, tech dh

Overall good smooth shock, but today I landed flat and it blew out,not good for massive impact, jumping, but really good for xc, semi tech trails

Avishade   [Jan 11, 2014]
Strength:

It's a decent shock while it lasts.

I've warrantied it 3 times within the 1st year now that its out of warranty fox expects me to pay to fix the same problem.

The 2012 shock came new with a harsh thunk at the top of the stroke when propedsl was engaged sent it in several times within the 1st 6 months. Now the propedal stopped working and has a thump at the top of the stroke, it's just out of warranty. Obviously a bad shock from the start but I'm supposed to pay to have it fixed from here on out. Very chintzy. I've seen a lot of problems with this 2012 batch I think fox should recall them or aknowledge the problem.

sam moore   [Jul 26, 2013]
Strength:

The good things about this shock are that it is simple and good for moderately technical track i give this a 10/10.

no thing.

great sock bit to expensive but i am 12 years old and i got it on my trek fuel ex 9.
GREAT SHOCK!!:)

Will   [Jun 29, 2013]
Strength:

seals seem to last

2nd shock where propedal does not work or has very limited effect.

Not impressed with this shock. I've had two versions on two different frames and both have had issues with propedal out of the box. As it it DOES NOT DO ANYTHING. Next shock will not be fox I hope.

Lets Try Science   [Dec 03, 2012]
Strength:

Seals have lasted a long time.

Blows through travel if sag is set correctly. To fix I'm supposed to pay Fox $25 for a spacer kit which looks like it contains $0.20 of plastic.
Pro-pedal does nothing if your over 180lbs.
Rebound adjustments aren't gradual enough.

The performance does not reflect the price. I hate the need to send Fox forks and shocks off to PUSH to get them to work correctly.

Celmeleon   All Mountain Rider [Aug 27, 2012]
Strength:

heavy duty for high jump not sure for extreme jump tho..

leaks

not bad for the quality

Salespunk   All Mountain Rider [Jul 06, 2012]
Strength:

Light, plush for small bump compliance, works well for cross country

Reliability sucks, had cavitation in the shock after 4 months. Sent it in and borrowed a friends identical shock. Cavitation after three weeks and had to be sent in as soon as mine got back.

It also spikes on long downhill runs as the shock heats up. There is not enough oil in the shock to counteract the heat buildup.

While it is working not a bad shock, but there are much better choices. Works well for cross country riding, but once you start going downhill you will be giving up a lot of performance. If the DH is rough then it will be even worse. Reliability is abismal. Two non functional shocks with less than four months on each is a joke. Another friend has one that will not hold air with less than a week of riding on it. When Fox first got into the bike business everyone wanted their stuff because of the performance and reliability. I think now it is a much different story. Hopefully they get things back in line soon.

Similar Products Used: Monarch RC3
atenciole   All Mountain Rider [Jun 19, 2012]
Strength:

I'm not sure it never worked.

Quality control. Third Fox product that I got that was bad out of the box.

Fox has the worst quality control of any manufacturer. This is my third fox product that was bad out of the box. Won't hold pressure. I doubt I'll be buying anything fox for years to come.

Mark   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2012]
Strength:

When it works it seems fine/ good. Gives confidence and speed on most terrain

I have had an EX8 (2010) for 2.5 yrs and my 4th rear shock just went. Won't hold air through 5-10 compressions, pressure down from 150 psi to close to zero. I do not do anything extreme at all, so this thing breaks under v modest stress

It seems fine when it works and I am the only one in our group to have had issues. But 4 failing in just over 2 years, with only about 40 cross country miles a week? Fox needs to fix/ explain

Similar Products Used: None
winsail   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2012]
Strength:

Great climbing uphill, plush on the downhill. This is a 2010 non-boost valve shock and it works great. It came with a high volume can and the standard one. I have tried it both ways and it is great either way.

Flipping lever..well not really

Buy this shock if you're a x-country or all mountain rider who pedals uphill. It works fantastic. If you're a down hiller or Free rider who walks up it would still work but why not buy a more substantial shock. For it's intended use it cannot be beat.