Fox Shox Float RP2 Rear Shock

• High volume standard air sleeve
  • DOHC ProPedal Technology
  • Air spring pressure
  • Rebound adjust

Kevin McMurtrie   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2015]
Strength:

Smooth ride, easy adjustment

Maintenance by mail, air loss sagging, expensive

This shock rides very nicely. Adjustment takes only a few minutes - set the sag with air pressure then adjust the rebound until the bike isn't bouncy. It needs to be pumped up at least once a week or the bike becomes unstable from sag. The eyelet bearing is just a plastic coated steel tube so it doesn't last long before you're hearing painfully loud creaking form aluminum and steel grinding together. How to replace this bearing? Take it off your bike and mail it to Fox for two weeks! Stores tell me that Fox won't allow them to sell maintenance components - not even expendable items. On the Fox schedule, that's two weeks of downtime and $165 for (work+shipping) every 125 hours of use.

Skulltoy   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2011]
Strength:

Simple, solid, and works. The Pro-pedal feels good and actually feels like it works on this one compared to an RP3 i have as well. I did pick it up used on ebay and expected to have it re-built soon but no problems at all yet.

None so far, other than maintenance and making sure the shaft is lubed and clean off the excessive dirt. I live in Colorado and dust/dirt is a huge problem and can cause issues.

I use to work in the automotive offroad industry. We could buy a coil-over shock (Racerunner or King Shock hand built shocks)for a rock buggy for $300 a piece, why does this little tiny thing cost so much retail new? The numbers don't add up?? I refused to pay full retail for something like this. Rant off. Bottom line is I paid $100 for this, it is a 2008 model, works great, and spent very little on it. I live 20 minutes from PUSH Ind. so it will go to them for a build when it does need it. I like this RP2 one better than my RP3 (now on the wife's bike even after I had it PUSH'ed)mainly because of the pro-pedal. I think FOX did some improvements on it in the couple years of time. My style of riding is ALL over, always looking for the path with some air and huckability, and this shock has just kept going like a trooper. Makes me feel good for only paying $100. :)

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi coil, Tough shock, Fox Float RP3
joe_bloe   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2011]
Strength:

Light, ProPedal works

None so far

I bought this shock as overstock from an overseas seller. This is not the OEM fitment.

The Kona Kikapu is an older "faux-bar" single pivot design, which has a fair amount of pedal bob. I wanted a shock with a significant amount of platform valving, to counteract pedal bob uphill. The Fox Float RP2 was perfect in this regard -- the ProPedal switch firms up the back dramatically, making climbing much more efficient.

The downside with my setup is that I didn't research the leverage ratio on my frame. The Kikapu is a relatively low 1.9:1 leverage ratio on the linkage; a light compression shock would have been more appropriate for my application, but the medium is working out OK. It just isn't as "plush" as it could be.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float R, Rockshox Bar 2.1
quax   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2011]
Strength:

Good performance

Same issue as the previous reviewer: ProPedal lever fell off and no way to get replacement. Fox does not respond, either (e.g. German distributor)

Good product but better glue the lever with loctite.

Customer support seems to be poor globally. Quite pathetic given premium pricing by Fox.

Similar Products Used: -
motomike   Weekend Warrior [Jun 14, 2011]
Strength:

Impressive features. Decent visual craftsmanship.

Overpriced. Poor quality. Non-user serviceable. No parts availaibility. Absolutely terrible, non-responsive Fox customer support. Propedal lever fell off and unable to get another one!

I bought my bike with this rear shock. Found it to be okay although I don't feel all the adjustments have much of an effect. Frankly I think this shock and its feature are overrated. The shock is overpriced. Most disappointed and discouraged now that the Propedal lever fell off. I have sent a few correspondence to Fox regarding getting another lever and so far found that there is zero customer support from Fox. I hate owning products with absolutely no customer support from the company. Unfortunately I am seeking a replacement now. Hopefully either a unit from a company that will stand behind their products or else a unit that I can service myself.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek
msouthall669   Racer [Dec 03, 2010]
Strength:

Solid reponse, comfortable ride

Noise.

This shock came stock on my Hifi Deluxe. The very first ride at about mile 2, the shock began to creak. It made noise the whole ride especially since the terrain I ride is rocky. I took it to the LBS and they told me that it just needed to be lubricated, so they did. I took it out again the next day and within the first half mile, it started creaking again. I have taken it back again and the LBS is at a loss. It rides great other than the annoying noise.

Farmer Ted   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2010]
Strength:

Light, Pro-pedal works well, can get full travel out of it, rebound has good range of adjustment.

Way, way too much compression damping for me and there's no way to adjust it short of having a full Push custom rebuild on the thing. Doesn't really feel that 'plush' because of this. Air sleeve rebuilds are required too frequently in my opinion.

I've got around 600 miles on this shock (came on my Giant Anthem X2) and the more I ride it, the less I like it.

The problem that I have with it is that there's way too much compression damping built into it which really makes the shock less active over small bumps and leads to a rear end that's much less compliant. The rebound adjustment does work but I think the 'gaps' between the adjustment points are too big...I have one setting where it will buck me off the bike as it rebounds and then the next click 'slower' causes the shock to 'pack up' noticeably over smaller stutter-type bumps.

I like to have a very active and compliant rear end on the bike that gets full travel and makes the bumps disappear...this isn't doing it for me on the bike it's on. I have a DT SS190DL on my BMC Trailfox 01 and that shock is super active and just makes the trail disappear...I like it much better (By the way, both bikes use a virtual pivot suspension system so that factor should be somewhat the same when evaluating the two shocks.)

One thing I do like about the RP2 is that I can (mostly) get full travel out of it at close to the recommended sag setting and that's something that the DT shock won't do.

Another thing I dislike about the Fox is that it's supposed to get air sleeve maintenance pretty often. I ride in a dry/ desert like climate and take meticulous care of my bikes and this shock started getting all sticky and required seal replacement at around 350 miles which I think is just too often but fortunately it's easy and the kit is cheap.

Maybe it's just me/ my weight/ bike/ and riding style but this isn't doing it for me at the moment...I'll have to see if I can sort it out.