Fox Shox Float CTD Rear Shock

Fox Shox Float CTD Rear Shock

New for 2013 the Fox Float CTD Factory Shock sets a new standard in suspension technology. CTD is a simple and intuitive method for controlling the suspension characteristics on the bike. CTD stands for: Climb, Trail and Descend. Each setting corresponds to the various trail conditions to allow the rider to make on the fly adjustments. The Float CTD shock has a firmer climb setting for more efficient climbing.

[Nov 16, 2014]
Monsterkruck
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Nice differentiation between 3 settings (when it works)

Very low time between service.

I have this shock on my '14 RIP9 RDO. From the factory it worked well. Nice distinction between descend and trail settings. I used both often. After around 6 months there was no difference between any of the 3 CTD settings. I had it rebuilt by Push to the factory specs (no mods). It returned to very nice operation after the service, but again after just 6 months there is no change in behavior between the 3 settings. Ironically rebound still seems to work fine. I have noticed this shock always has a significant oil build up on the stanchion. I was told that is normal. If you want a smooth shock and don't mind rebuilding VERY often this might work for you.

[Jun 11, 2014]
daniel

Strength:

they look great and there tougher than a coil

nothing

I evern put it on my pee wee 50 and its great

[May 30, 2014]
Pearson Richards
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

For how small it is, it can handle the bigger drop off's.

I haven't found one.

I have this shock on my 1998 RFX Turner and it Works great. I ride my bike daily and the CTD system works great for endure riding! If you like endure riding or hardcore downhilling it will do both!

[Aug 05, 2013]
Cameron Dempster

Strength:

Absorbs bumps in the trails.

No difference noted between Climb and Trail. Maybe the shock is faulty and my LBS haven't picked up on it yet.

I have this shock fitted to my Giant Trance 29er. Selector lever frequently comes loose. I can't tell the difference between Climb and Trail. I have even firmed up the pressure but still no luck. I took my bike into my LBS and was told that was the way it was meant to be. I checked out the same shock on a lesser travel Anthem and the Climb setting was nice and tight with little travel. LBS said this was because of the difference in the shock travel between the Trance and the Anthem (4 in vs 5 in). Anyway, if that's the case then this shock is very pedestrian. I was bored with it within the first few weeks.

[Mar 11, 2013]
MTBeing

Strength:

After a factory rebuild it works really well! CTD is distinctive and works as advertised. Very smooth now.

Seals blew after 50 miles of Arizona trail riding. Before a rebuild, the CTD lever felt loose and sloppy. CTD not right from the factory.

The shock never felt 'right' from the get-go but I was new to full suspension so I chocked it up to needing a break-in period and my noobishness. Took my new bike to the lbs for some minor adjustments and the mech pointed out oil pooling around the o-ring. A lot of oil. Anyways, sent it to Fox and two weeks later it came back as a totally different animal. I even noticed it felt different in the bike shop. On the trail it felt really good. Fox reworked the whole CTD damper, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I give them credit for not just replacing seals and calling it good.

I'm pleased now with the shock but I'm not giving this more than 3 chilis. If it rode in the beginning like it does now, I'd give it 5. I expect more from the Fox brand and it's apparent that their production quality controls need to improve. Would I but Fox again? Heck yea.

[Aug 12, 2012]
dantmanbiking

Strength:

When it was working it was Awsome!

Blew after an hour and a half of riding on terrain that I have ridden as fast on my hard tail. RUBBISH!!!

Shock came on my SB66C which I got to ride for the first time today. Everything was going well til a massive crack came from the back end, thought the frame had gone to be fair but upon investigation at the bottom of the hill there was no damping what so ever.

I have no doubt it will get sorted but pretty poor show from Fox.

[Jun 15, 2012]
the mayor

Strength:

Good settings right out of the box.

None yet.

I'm running this on a Lenz Leviathan 4.
I ordered it with firm compression and climb tune.
My original shock was the RP23 with Boost Valve..that I hated because of weak pedal platform and compression damping.Sent it to Push...who removed the B/V and revalved...and I loved the shock.

The new CTD shock works very good...on par with the RP23 that I had Push tuned.
The Descend setting is about the same as Open on the RP23
Trail is about the same as #2 Pro Pedal setting on a Pushed RP23...except a little smoother.
Climb setting...when off the bike, feels like a lock out...but while riding, because of blow off circuit, rides very firm...but still works very well. Think of it as a race bike feel ....like a Salsa Dos Nine or a Specialized Epic.
So far...I like it.