Fox Shox Float 03 Rear Shock

oem only

Dino Vizzoca   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2004]
Strength:

Light weight, rebound adjustment, lockout feature.

Shock durability. Poor service from factory, turn over in getting shock part back.

Second time I had to send the Fox Float RC back for service within one year. First time shock made a squishy compression sound. Took two weeks turnaround, due to Inventory at the Factory, Oh Well... Second time oil leak around rebound wheel. Shock returned in about a week minus the reducer bushing in the piston for the rear triangle bolt. Called up service guy and am now waiting for mail delivery of bushing. Over two weeks since I Expressed mailed the shock to FOX, still no damn bushing!
The shock not only is costing me a bundle to get repaired but the worst part is not getting the thing back with the parts it was sent out with. Wish cannondale would have spec. out different shock choices.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2005]
Strength:

Good when it works. Air chamber fully user serviceable.

There is no effective warranty on this product. The Fox warranty gives them the option of not responding to your claim that the product is defective. Since Fox did not return e-mails or phone messages that I left or that my LBS left with them when my shock failed, I have no idea how one would get support from them.

Be forewarned that the air chamber in this shock (and any air shock) requries regular service. Replacing the seals should be thought of in the same way as replacing a tube in a tire. You can't expect your warranty to cover this. When you buy your bike, be sure to buy an extra set of seals, and be prepared to either pay the folks at your LBS to replace them periodically or to replace them yourself.

Unfortunately, the failure on my shock was in the casing, not in the seals. It started leaking around the valve. Fox did not respond to my e-mails or to e-mails or phone calls from my LBS. We were willing to settle for nothing more than technical information about how to repair it. Finally, the folks at the LBS took a guess, and so far, the shock is holding air.

My ratings might seem harsh, but with a product like this, sooner or later you're going to need support from the manufacturer. You can't count on that from Fox. Looking at other Fox reviews, it appears that others have encountered similar problems.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla coil-over shock.
Ellison   Cross Country Rider [Feb 01, 2003]
Strength:

Very Smooth, great feel.

No adjustability.

This is a simple shock with a great feel to it. Only problem is that you cant adjust it at all. It came on my bike frame, so I didn't have any choice on what shock i wanted. Although I cant complain much about it, it's nothing worth upgrading to. If I break this shock, or I decide it's time to upgrade, I'll go to a cloud nine or a float RC.

Similar Products Used: Sid, Float RC
tom wilson   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 2003]
Strength:

holds air well, pretty lightweight,very adjustable

wish it had lockout but not that big of a deal

good shock overall

Similar Products Used: sid
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2003]
Strength:

reliable,light, after 21/2 years holds air and is quiet.

Needs rebound adjustments?

Came w/ bike, but it still holds air. For the first year or
so ,I would check pressure before riding and was shocked that it never needed air. Now it needs air once a month.
I'm 160lb rider and run 125# of pressure in shock, therefore, rebound ajustments not needed. But if running 130# or higher pressure in shock , rebound ajustments needed.

Similar Products Used: first F/S bike
Eugene Oxford   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2002]
Strength:

holds air well. i weigh about 175, and i do a lot of urban riding(curbs, ditches, huge pot holes) works soothly.

wish the action was a little quicker

i like it alot, i set the air about two weeks after i bought the bike, and havent messed with it since. my l.b.s. said i should buy a pump shock, but i dont think i'll need one. two thumbs up, but if you are up-gradeing you should think about one with adjustable rebound.

Similar Products Used: just old no-name coil over shock
Ryan   [May 11, 2003]
Strength:

Simple. Fiddled with the air press until the bottoming out was right 175PSI and has been left alone for months.

All the griping from others about lack of bells, whistles.

First full suspension Fuel 90- suspension is stock except my installation of the EXTRA FIRM (read "fatass") spring in the Manitou Black. I have had none of the problems you may read about with either the Fox or the Black. I am a rather large gorilla at six two and 240lbs and relish fast bumpy downhills. The shock has held up fine.

Juan Carlos   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2005]
Strength:

Great, simple to use, works great

No rebound external adjust

The shock came on my bike, works just great, you just have to set it up to your weight and riding style, and that is all you need to do.

Worked perfectly for almost one year, one day the bike started to feel way soft in the rear, checked everything and the shock lost about 30 PSI, and the suspension links were loose, I tight them up and do my self the shock service, clean it up, tight it up, lube it and never leak air again, I never changed seals.

I do aggressive cross country, climbing, drops, fast and technical dowhills and the shock is just great, some time I miss an external rebound adjuster but that is not really necessary.

Great shock, but you can’t buy it because is OEM.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float Talas R, Fox Float R (Propedal)
Nicholas   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2006]
Strength:

Needs very little adjustment

No lockout

After reading reviews I thought I would have to replace it as one of my first upgrades, but it has help up nicely for the first thousand miles of travel.