Fox Shox Ava RL Rear Shock

Description:

• AVA adjustment system allows the fine tuning of the spring progressivity to optimize the air-spring characteristics for your riding style and bike suspension geometry.
  • NEW for 2004 ProPedal Damping : FOX's exclusive low-speed compression circuit, reduces unwanted shock movement caused by pedaling.
  • Patented lock-out system allows On-the-fly adjustability for those times when hard-tail firmness is desired.
  • FOX's patented self-adjusting negative-spring and Teflon air-sleeve bushings provide hassle free shock set-up and result in coil-spring like compliance.
  • FLOAT air-spring tune works in unison with the shocks damping circuits to provide the perfect balance between efficiency, control and position-sensitive bottoming resistance.
  • 24-clicks of externally adjustable rebound damping for an ultra-wide tuning range.

• User Reviews (6)

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2004]
    Strength:

AVA is awesome, Regardless of VPP's anti-bob features, a true lockout is still the way to go for that hard-tail feel (road, etc)

Weak product manual. Setup can be difficult for an air shock newbie. The AVA requires you to exhaust the air cylinder before adjustments can be made. Field adjustments require you to carry the shock pump. I guess this is to be expected, but you can count on multiple adjustments before finding "your" sweet spot.

The spider is my first full-suspension bike, so I have little to compare against. Unless I count the limited use of my friend's bikes. And I'm not about to count the bikes I've ridden at a bike shop. (Of course the parking lot can be rather technical. LOL) In any event, the AVA lives up to what I expected from a rear shock. I gave consideration to the 5th element (air), due to the performance praises.. but I also heard lots of bad feedback pertaining to seals, leaks, etc.. so I stuck with the AVA and haven't looked back since.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox, various older Fox shocks
    Matthew McCulloch   [Jun 06, 2006]
    Strength:

Light weight, very adjustable, durable, long lasting, easy to service yourself, very plush...

NONE!!!

Thid shock is awesome, works great on single pivot and vpp bikes. With any Santacruz bike a pro pedal is not needed, i have the 03 model with out pro pedal. I have been hard on this shock for over 2 years now and it keeps on working like new, the lock out works great, the AVA acculy does what it says it does, the reason why its hard to turn the AVA when its pumped up is because your not suposed to, de pressureize it first. nothing out there can beat this shock, i will use it untill i break it, i dont think that will happen.

Similar Products Used: 5th element, Rock Shox, Manapoo
    Jason   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2005]
    Strength:

Adjustability. Good ride.

Setup quite difficult. Instruction manual blows, Fox customer service blows, lockout is useless(never worked all that great, now it doesn't work at all). Fox said they would service the shock for $100(what a joke, stand by your product).

This shock rides well, and has a lot of adjustability. The lockout is not a true lockout(its supposed to have a blowoff valve). I've never used the lockout except when climbing or when on pavement and it still managed to blow the seal. Fox offered to service the shock for $100. I say if you're going to charge $400 for a shock, stand by your product and at least cut your customers a break. I'll never have another Fox part again. Terrible product, terrible service, terrible prices.

Similar Products Used: My first rear shock.
    Mike L   Weekend Warrior [Nov 24, 2004]
    Strength:

I was very impressed when I first got the shock. It's fairly light and the AVA works well. The shock is also well built, doesn't leak air and is incredibly smooth.

The only thing I don't like about this shock is how hard it is to turn the AVA screw once you put air in the shock.

Other than being hard to adjust the AVA when you have the right amount of air inside. The shock works exceptionall well. I was impressed when I first tried it, it took the bumps without a problem and much better then my previous Float R. The lock out feature is very useful, easy to use and work well.

Overall, I would recommend this shock to any one. Preferably not to Xc for it's weight but any epic mountain or where weight doesn't really matter

Similar Products Used: Fox float R
    Thomas Nicholson   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2004]
    Strength:

Nice shox with lots of tuning ability.

Not that customizable. Not good for riders over 200lbs.

The shock that came with my Superlight is ok but I would have like to had a chace to try the 5th Air. Since I am a larger rider a coil might even be a better upgrade. Helps to keep the bob at a noexistent level.

aidan   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2004]
    Strength:

super plush, but after a year im still messing about with setting the thing up! lock-out is fantastic though and the low weight is definately a plus

slightly over-complicated

While getting the shock light weight (air) and lockout were at the top of my list so after a bit of research the fox was looking like the best option and i felt it was worth the relatively high price (£340) as it is so adjustable. i haven't regretted it one bit. i must commend the service from the shop and fox, both delivered exactly on schedule.