Foes Curnutt ITD Rear Shock

• XTD Bottoming Control
  • Works Off Minimal Preload
  • Air Pressure Pedaling Platform Control

jamie alackness   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2006]
Strength:

Best stable platform shock Every Made Nothing Else even comes close!

You can only get one on a Foes.

This is simply the best rear shock you can buy. Over the course of three years of riding I've done nothing but send it in for a yearly tune up.
My only gripe is that Foes made the new FXR more of a freeride bike than the one I have. I was really hoping Brent would have designed one for those of us who never ride the lift and don't drop off anything over Five feet. So I just purchased a Titus Moto Lite. This bike is the perfect trail bike and thank god for the Horst link suspension not needing a platform shock. Because ever shock that I've tried after riding the Curnutt Works about half as good or worse. The platforms are weak, too harsh, or useless. Fox should really take a good look at this shock because propedal is nothing but compression dampening and a total crock. As for Manitou and Progressive they have the patent rights I just cannot figure out why they don't use them fully instead of half assed? Brent if you read this can you please design another light weight weight 5-inch travel trial bike with a horst link suspension I don't care if I have to give specializec a few dollars to make it happen and I don't think anyone else will either.

Similar Products Used: Fox DHX Manitou 4 way Fith Element Coil
OVERALL
James H   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2008]
Strength:

None.

Harsh travel and action.
Noticable "clunk" on rebound. Had foes look over the shock, they sent it back and said it was fine. Had them then rebuild the shock, in the end it still suffered from the same problem.
Poor quality of travel. The size of the shock would make you think that it has ultra-plush travel like an avalanche shock, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I had to buy a DHX-Coil for the bike to get decent performance. I'm not sure what Foes is trying to pass off on us as a "shock", but when cheaper and smaller (lighter) do a much better job of suspending and simply doing what shocks are supposed to do, you have to wonder why you paid $550 and are lugging around an extra 2lbs of mass. To be honest, I rode ONE curnutt that I thought felt and worked well, but many others have had similer experiences to mine. Only two possibilities here, one is that this shock really does have pretty horrible action, or that they have a lot of flawed shocks out there and they can't even identify these shocks when they are sent back to them. I don't know but I do know that the curnutt completely ruined my foes experience. That one part of the bike is a critical part for bringing it all together (if I get a suspension bike, it should suspend well). 1 chili for value for being extremely expensive and performing poor. Two overall just because foes seemed to want to make me happy, but the performance was just terrible. When I buy a foes and the associated expensive shock, I expect it to outperform a lot of other bikes, and not feel like it's about to snap in two going down a rock garden due to how harsh it is.

Similar Products Used: Progressive 5th element, Manitou Swinger Coil, Avalanche DHS, Fox Vanilla, Fox DHX C, Romic, Stratos, Etc..
OVERALL