DT Swiss XM 180 Air Rear Shock

XM 180 Air

• Suspension - Air, elastomer negative spring
  • Damping – Oil Damping, rebound, lockout

redevill   [May 20, 2013]
Strength:

Light weight for the Carbon version, the remote lock out option is fantastic.

It has needed seal replacement every season, and now after 3 seasons it is showing score marks along the shaft. Not a robust shock.

I have to agree with the other reviewer, Carbon version is to finicky. Have had leakage issues since new. I would NOT recommend the Carbon version of this shock to anyone wanting something reliable.

Haran   All Mountain Rider [May 02, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight, total lockout, REMOTE.

No platform, but who cares?
;-)
Weight over performance. Fox shocks are more progressive in compression. Dt Swiss have not bypass between positive and negative chamber,

Total lockout is GREAT when climbing. Remote lockout version is VERY recommended. Otherwise, you will always have a hand under the seat. Open, close, open close.... (rigid, no platform).
Lock, et voilà, you have a hardtail. Only 1/2 mm. movement when locked.
If you wanna try this shock, you must know that it is a really different shock than Fox and Rock Shox, in some ways more limited in function.
Basically, it is a DT Swiss XR Carbon (too tricky and delicate) without carbon, and XM180 is a little bit more rigid on all mountain use than the XR Carbon. (the internals are the same - so a locked XM180 ist nothing else than a locked XR Carbon shock).

Similar Products Used: Dt Swiss M210 (bad shock!), Fox RPL.
DonQuix78   All Mountain Rider [Mar 14, 2012]
Strength:

Super plush. Great custom bushings that drastically reduce wear and damage. TOTAL lockout.

Bushings are expensive (but worth it), as is the remote lockout kit.

I have to echo everything that has already been said in a previous review: this is an exceptionally good shock. It's incredibly plush, highly adjustable, and the lockout really does give you the hard tail effect.
It's all a matter of preference - rather than mess about with various proPedal settings on the Float I prefer to have the shock set up exactly as I want it for the terrain I'm riding, and simply activate the lockout when I hit the hills. Lockout is as simple as reaching down the seat post (on my bike, anyway) and flicking a lever. That's it. The remote lockout would be a bonus but at £110 (the best price I've found) I'd prefer to do it manually. I have it fitted to a 'faux-bar' single-pivot Kona, which some reviews say it better suited to the Fox unit, but I can't find fault with it on this set-up - it works a dream.
I managed to find a brand new one for £130 on eBay, which was an absolute steal. Having used it on a number of trails now, taking in some big hits, I'd quite happily pay double and more. Really, it is THAT good.

NB. The bushing mounts available are a minefield to choose correctly. Make sure you measure your mounting points very carefully to ensure a snug fit. The bushings are waaaaay expensive for such small things, but they do the business far better than standard DUs.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float RP2/23
contigreg   Weekend Warrior [Jan 20, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, LOCKOUT!

Price tag, instruction booklet.

INSTANT HARDTAIL at the flick of a switch, I purchased the remote lockout switch which is a little hard to install with the instructions provided, but the two work well together, makes it easier going up those hills. The shock soaks up the hard hits, the rebound adjustment works well too, from soft to springy, I really like this shock.

Similar Products Used: Fox Van R
gobs   Downhiller [Oct 26, 2010]
Strength:

the rebound is really helpful. From one end of the spectrum to the other is a world of difference. Lockout can be adjusted on the fly both ways, which is totally awesome.

None so far.

The shock flexes a little when locked out. I like this tho, i never want super super rigid. It only flexes a tad too, maybe as much as a regular metal frame does but a little more. I can still rear wheel trials hop just fine tho, so rad. The lockout switch operates like a dream, switch whenever, go from dualie to hardtail, little hop on your pedals to let the shock extend and bam, when you land it's a hardtail. Awesome.

I had a float with propedal, too many settings, i never used them, usually had propedal on but never cared too much. Propedal did make a difference but you still turn it off for bumps so why not just have a lockout? This shock has better limit approach too i think, runs at a lower psi for me than the float. I got mine on ebay for 200 a total steal so 4 value chilis.