DT Swiss HVR 200 Rear Shock

• Length: 165 mm
  • Sticker: Standard

[Aug 04, 2006]
Andrew Krol

Strength:

1. Weight - lightest on the market at time of purchase (165mm/197g)
2. Smoothness - works perfectly and filters all - from tiny bumps to serious hits - no matter if HVR open or closed
3. Spherical bearings - add sensibility on tiny bumps
4. Remote control - phenomenal for this shock

1. Price - dt is not cheap but this was riddiculous
2. HVR regulation - full switch is over 6 turns of the knob - just takes tomuch time and attention
3. Stiffness - if you have problems with rear suspension stiffnes, do not choose this shock

I purchased this shock as soon as it was released - may 2005 and now it has 8k miles.
I've chosen Dt for weight&bearings and HVR for platform.
Original bushings make the suspension more responsive (spherical bearings engage quicker than normal tightened bushings) but they allow the whole swingarm to flex slightly - not recommended if you have trouble with rear suspension flex.
I find this shock extremely responsive (with HVR opened) and totaly bullet-proof(I weigh 92kg and never go around if I can straight). As you start engaging HVR, you get less and less bob and rear seems harder. But when you go over sth, the shock just absorbs it like in open position - AMAZING!!! Completely different from SPV or ProPedal. There are two things that I dislike in HVR though:
1. the feeling you get, when HVR engages - as if the rear hub had play.
2. the control knob - it allows you to tune the shock exactly to your needs but when you go uphill and want full HVR and than downhill and HVR opened - there is 6 turns of the knob to go!!! That sucks, especialy during a race:( Three or four positions would be enough or if fluent regulation - just a higher turn ratio.
I therefore decided to get the remote control and this solves the whole problem - one move of the thumb and it's done. More like it:)
All together a bullet-proof, responsive and extreemly lightweight item - if you have a stiff frame and you can get it cheaper than regular - don't hesitate! just remember about the remote if you race!!!

Swinger 3-way Air; Fox FloatRL; Fox Vanilla

OVERALL
[Jun 24, 2006]
Matt

Strength:

Very light, easy to maintenance - air chamber can be opened by hand. Top finished. Just working ... see weaknesses.

Damper works slowly, maybe seals in air chamber are tight (damper is a new one). Old manitou qrl worked better - more control at rear wheel !! DT damper doesnt absorb repeated bumps. I tried to dimnish air preassure (more SAG), tried use more fluid grease to grease seals in air chamber ... nothing. Maybe damper needs some rides more to make seals less tight ? I would never bought HVR 200 but my QRL suffered leaks at rebound adj. When servis tried to open the qrl he destroyed it ... Impossible to open. Anyway - HVR 200 works not good now. I think to buy 3 way SPV manitou or radium R (RL) with better platform and much much better feeling of rear shock. HVR valve when fully opened enable damper to works with full travel. When valve is partialy closed you can feel the treshold when damper works or not works. It losses sensitivity but on bigger hits works with ful travel but - again - works slowly and not absorbing well repeated hits like from roots on trail (qrl did it much better). I have to give HVR 200 more time nad I hope to be not disapointed... When HVR valve is closed damper works with minimal travel (3-5mm) and you can feel very good how valve works.

Now - just two flamin' chilis. I will be wait for reviews from others. Anybody wants to buy my HVR 200 ? :-) I replace it for SPV 3-way or Radium RL by Manitou - but - after I decide that HVR works slowly and never become better... :-)

manitou QRL.