Cane Creek Double Barrel Rear Shock

Cane Creek Double Barrel Rear Shock No other rear shock onThe market inspires rider confidence or providesThe level of adjustability and control found onThe Cane Creek Double Barrel.Twin-tubeTechnology and 4-way independent adjustability combined with unrivaled levels of quality have madeThe Double BarrelThe best in its class year after year.The Double Barrel enables custom rider-tuned damping performance,Thus optimizingThe ride for every rider on every bike. Twin-TubeTechnology: Circulates oil

blackfly   Weekend Warrior [Apr 15, 2013]
Strength:

Quality, adjustability, no need for an air pump, adjustments really work, perhaps too well

You can back off the adjusters too far and oil will bleed out; there is no "stopper" to prevent this. Cost, but that is relative

I have a CCDB with a Ti spring for my new Knolly Podium. I knew I wanted the shock/spring before I wanted the bike. I have used a Curnutt with Ti spring for 10 years, so I can compare. The Curnutt platform valve was always "evident". You could feel it and it affected the small bump compliance. The CCDB has unreal small bump compliance (I am sure the Ti spring helps) and ramps up on big hits. Very smoothe. I run a Monster T up front and it feels better with the CCDB. The synergy between the two is very refreshing. I never felt the Monster and Curnutt meshed the way they should. The CCDB and Monster are a match in heaven (properly set up).

I do have one issue: the black plastic sleeve over the shock to prevent rub from the spring does produce noise when dirty, and when you hear it for the first time you are taken back. Moreover, taking water from my backpack and spraying it on the sleeve (to clean it) makes it go away. But the spacing tolerances for a Ti spring are too tight. You would think knowing a Ti spring is a major upgrade the tolerances would be more "slack". Not like a couple of millimeters would hurt. But this is small and easy to fix. But noticeable. But so is the performance.

Highest recommendation and well worth the upgrade cost. I advocate Ti springs anytime they can be used, too.

Similar Products Used: Curnutt, Fox
Gerald G   [Sep 30, 2012]
Strength:

Adjustability. Adjustments that work and make a difference. Coil feeling in an air shock package (i.e. weight). Outstanding engineering and STILL MADE IN THE USA!

None. Even price is not an issue if it's compared to top of the line offerings from Fox, Rock Shox, and Marzocchi.

This is a review of the CCDB Air. Cane Creek is amazing. They really gave this thing the feel of a nice coil over shock. Small bump sensitivity is amazing. Big hit/big air/big landing is PLUSH. And without the need to fiddle with lockouts, this thing can be set up to have almost zero bob (I installed this on my beloved Yeti ASR7). The only issue any person might have is the ridiculous amount of adjustability. You really need to spend time in tuning this shock to your style, riding locale, and type of bike. However, once set up, it is a dream piece of technology. Made my Fox Boostvalve RP23 feel absolutely ancient in comparison. And to top it all off, it's still made here in the USA. This is definitely one of the best upgrades anyone can make to their dual suspension rig. I will buy another one if I ever get another bike for sure. One last plus: their online and real time tech support is also top notch and will get you in the really good region for setting up your shock. Then it's all up to you to get your dream setting...it's in there somewhere!

genemk   Downhiller [Oct 31, 2011]
Strength:

Best adjustability on the market. Does everything a shock should and does it well.

Steel spring feels a bit heavier than Fox springs.

Just wanted to post a quick review after my first day on the CCDB shock. Last Saturday I got to try out the new shock at the Blackrock shuttle day. Previously I had a Fox DHX3.0 shock on the 2010 Norco Team DH that I ride.

I started by setting the shock up with the factory recommended settings. First thing I noticed was the lack of pedal bob. I couldn't believe it at first because I couldn't feel the tail moving under me at all. This was also noticeable when pumping rollers and berms. With the old shock I'd notice the bike bobbing and wallowing while flowing through a smooth section of trail where as now it's firm and responsive.

The high speed rebound felt a bit slow so I sped it up a bit until it felt responsive enough. I noticed that I was bottoming out in some places where I shouldn't be so I turned up the high speed compression and got it to a point where I would only bottom on big harsh landings. That said, the bottom outs were always pretty smooth especially when compared to the old shock, except maybe when I completely overshot a drop and did about a 10ft to flat landing.

The low speed compression I turned down just half a turn since going past that I'd notice pedal bob starting to come back. I didn't really mess with low speed rebound since it seemed fine. Each tweak was pretty noticeable. You could adjust each setting independently a bit at a time and the shock did exactly what it was supposed to. Instead of spending all day messing with the settings like I was afraid I'd have to I got it set up nicely within a couple runs and felt no need to make further adjustments since it was already doing what I wanted.

The performance was awesome all around. Riding over rocks and the chunder tron (logs buried across trail for artificial bumps on the race course) felt way plusher than before. The rear wheel tracked well over bumps and stayed on the ground whenever possible even when popping a bit out of turns. The shock felt plush and consistent throughout the full range of travel. Jumping performance was great as the bike popped well and absorbed flat landings like nobody's business.

Overall I'm super pleased with my purchase and feel like I can go faster and bigger more comfortably now. The fine tuning this shock allows is exactly what I was looking for. The only problem is that now I feel like my fork isn't smooth enough compared to the rear. For anyone familiar with Blackrock, I rode every trail hitting almost all the features throughout the day so I think I tested the shock fairly well. Oh, and I have briefly tried an RC4 and Elka Stage 5 on my friend's bikes, but the runs were so short I can't make a fair comparison.

Similar Products Used: Fox DHX 3.0 (although not in same league). Briefly tried Elka Stage 5 and Fox RC4.
ray ray   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2010]
Strength:

easy setup, rides great over all stuff big or small it just feels perfect, cane creek service was great.

price but you get what you pay for and after two rides it was worth it!!!!

The best!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: fox air shocks
Mctigre   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2010]
Strength:

Malcome at Cane Creek. Customer Service. Very versital product.

Weight

I got my shock back in January. I have not had much trail time on it.
Bearings on the Connection points to the frame and Shock shuttle went out.
Malcome had to fabricate the mounting hardware since my bike was from 2006.
Aout four days after we spoke I received the parts. All under warranty.
I just wanted everyone to know that Malcome and Cane Creek will treat well if something ever goes wrong.
Take Care,
Michael Charles

Similar Products Used: Pushed DHX-5 Not comparable.
tlefko   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2010]
Strength:

The shock is incredibly adjustable and versatile. I know I am not telling anyone anything they don't already know but it is a remarkably adjustable shock and has very sensitive incremental adjustments.
It looks as though it's a well built shock - from a durability perspective - and the black & gold color combo is pretty tight too.
I have taken this puppy off a few 6+ footers to flat and it lands like a dream! Handles the smaller stuff pretty well too...

Cane Creek ships the double barrel with a black protective sheath over the air sleeve. My spring rubs against the protective sleeve emitting a noise similar to a 4th grader trying to play the violin. It is so bad I can actually feel the vibration through my bike frame. I called the company and they claimed it was due to the protective sleeve/sheath getting in the way. Allegedly people were complaining that the air sleeve was getting scuffed so cane creek added this protective sheath. They also said that this sheath can sometimes lead to the symptoms I describe above. *IF* that is actually the case cane creek really needs to provide a disclaimer or a section in their FAQ as to why they provide the black protective sleeve and what the potential setbacks could be by keeping it on (ex. the spring rub). I was stunned to hear this after spending this much money on that shock.
I ordered the Titanium spring and hope it makes a difference. If not I'll try removing the protective sheath. If that fails this shock is going back.
I know someone who bought a bike with a CCDB the same time I did and they have the same problem with their shock as well.

There is no question that this is the Ferrari of shocks. I am absolutely stoked I bought it and feel it's worth the extra money spent.
However I will say that the noise/vibration of the spring rubbing against the air sleeve is a BIG issue. After spending this much on a new bike I'd like to ride it and not have to deal with hearing (and feeling) it squeal. While it does not affect the performance of the shock it is ANNOYING BEYOND BELIEF. The fact that cane creek knows it's an issue and hasn't really addressed the problem I feel is a bit inappropriate. At a minimum they need to let people know that the protective sheath could present a problem.
I don't want to ding cane creek because of the noise since it doesn't affect performance but it is a real nuisance.

Similar Products Used: Fox DHX Air 5.0
leeko   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2009]
Strength:

Adjustablity. Quality. Bling value. Robust travel feel.

price

Wow, what a great shock. Coming off a FX DHX air this thing feels buttery smooth. Way better in the trail chop but still plenty aggressive to attack terrain and smoother on landings. You can tune this thing to get what you need. I can wheelie and manual way easier with this shock. Traction improved; I could climb stuff I couldn't with the foxdhxair. Quality travel.

Similar Products Used: FoxDHX air
theo asheville   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2009]
Strength:

traction & plushness, infinite tunability

it ain't cheap; still can't ride a wheelie!

The BEST. Ever. Hands down. I was skeptical when Jason (owner of Fatz)& Nathan (head wrench) gushed over it as the "Daddiest ever!!!"; but they were right. Fatz was good enough to get Cane Creek (local for us) to send a demo & set it up on my bike. I rode every gnarly up & downhill technical trail I usually do as a shake down cruise (Trace Ridge, Farlow's Gap, Green's Lick) & it was as is I was riding a new bike which climbed like a hard tail & descended like a triple crown sofa. I ordered one after the 3rd ride.
As a disclosure, I race Clydesdale, mostly endurance, & use the Blur for the technical stuff I love hard & fast (I've got a fixed-gear ,& a 29-er for the smoother stuff). I do not know if lighter or less aggressive riders would experience the same quantum level advancement.
Warning: I found myself riding faster & more aggressive over jumps & drop offs, so I had to increase rear tire pressure 3 psi to avoid flats. While faster, it is more stable & increases handling & control. What a great product from an impressive manufacturer.
I had the shop set it up & have not messed with it- it's nice not to have to adjust your shock on the fly for loose climbing or jack-hammer downhills. Seems like magic, but it works.
Other than the advent of disc brakes & rear suspension, this has increased my riding enjoyment like nothing else in the last 15 years.

Similar Products Used: every high-end Fox shock ever made (pretty much)
William42   Downhiller [Dec 09, 2008]
Strength:

Great adjustability, it can work well with most frames out there and you wont have to buy a new shock with every frame. You might see a couple seconds faster on a race course compared to a DHX 5.

Expensive. It costs a lot, and contrary to what many will tell you, its not an 800% increase in traction etc. Its a little bit here and there, and a slightly better tracking ride over all.

Its very easy to screw the settings up. One click can mean the difference between a great setup and a terrible setup. Chances are, most people who buy one of these things get it wrong and their bike will feel like crap if you try it (assuming your the same weight etc) because they have it setup poorly. They'll tell you its amazing because they spent lots of money on it though.

It doesn't work well with lower leverage ratios. I'd steer clear if you have a 2.6:1 ratio or less. Check out BOS if you're interested in high end shocks for lower leverage.

I'll hit the downsides first, since that's what people reading reviews are looking for.

First off, it weighs a ton. Pretty much more then any other shock on the market.

Second, its expensive - 650 bucks unless you have hookups. Getting a ti spring to manage the weight is another 200 bucks. Its pretty easy to find a DHX 5 for way less. If you're looking to buy a good shock, the first 400 dollars will take you way further then that extra 250.

Is it way better then a custom tune shock such as a pushed dhx 5 or avy? Its probably about the same, but the advantage is, it switches bikes easier and doesn't need a new tune for every bike. You can change it.

Also, after 3 months I've already had to send it back to get the top out bumper replaced. Was hoping to service it left but there you have it.

Its also very easy to set it up poorly. My money is on most people setting it up poorly, since most people aren't suspension nerds.

Those of you on Sundays and other low leverage bikes, I'd steer clear. They're set up for higher leverage, and you just can't get the compression low enough. I understand its possible to get the shock custom tuned for lower leverage bikes, but I can't seem to find anybody that does it. If you have a 2.6:1 ratio or less, I'd stay away

Moving on to the good stuff

Cane Creek CS is absolutely top notch. They're giving me a new spring for free and 2 day air shipping my shock back to me to have it back to me in time to ride it over the holidays. Malcom is always very helpful and is great to talk to if you're having trouble with the tune.

This shock is a pretty fantastic shock. Its incredibly smooth and seems ultra sensitive compared to lots of other shocks. Stiction is very evident when you hop on other shocks.

For most bikes, the stock compression range is perfect, and will give you a full range for heavier-lighter riders. You can dial in the settings very very well, giving it a feel of exactly how it should be. I suggest fastest LSR, play with the HSR on the trail to get it to an appropriate non-bucking feeling, a decent amount of LSC without having it lose its poppyness of jumps, and enough HSC to float through rocks.

Overall, this shock is pretty awesome - you can make it feel as good as a custom tune and switch it from bike to bike, and there is very very little stiction (less then any other shock I've ridden) which actually makes a surprising difference in feel on the trail.

Will it make a sport class rider a semi-pro? nope! Will it make a midpack pro podium against the likes of Sam Hill? Absolutely not. Will it make a weekend warrior who normally lags behind his buddies as fast or faster then them? Probably not. Will it make the trail a bit more fun (assuming you have it set up right)? Yes! Will it give you a couple seconds here and there on the race course? Probably so!

Like I said before, the marginal benefit of that last 250 dollars is alot less then the first 250 dollars. The shock is slightly better (subjectively, of course) then a DHX 5. It can give a feeling of a "custom tune" without having to send it back and cost you more money when you switch bikes.

Who should get it?